New High School?

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:I was at the dedication of one of Elkhorn's new Elementary schools.  A Elkhorn School District Board Member said that they project that at current growth rates in the district's population grows they will be building a lot of new schools in the near future.  

He said in 15 years the Elkhorn Public School System will have

19 Elementary Schools - currently there are 9 with three that opened this year,
7 Middle Schools - currently there are 3 with one under construction for next year
4 High Schools - currently there are 2
Basically nearly double in size in 15 years.  Anyone know roughly their territory?
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Which direction is Elkhorn developing now? Is it continuing further West or heading South now?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

iamjacobm wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:I was at the dedication of one of Elkhorn's new Elementary schools.  A Elkhorn School District Board Member said that they project that at current growth rates in the district's population grows they will be building a lot of new schools in the near future.  

He said in 15 years the Elkhorn Public School System will have

19 Elementary Schools - currently there are 9 with three that opened this year,
7 Middle Schools - currently there are 3 with one under construction for next year
4 High Schools - currently there are 2
Basically nearly double in size in 15 years.  Anyone know roughly their territory?

https://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 45912&z=12

Looks like a lot of their growth will shift from the south to the north.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I think there is an upper limit on Northbound development since Elkhorn lives and dies by way of the Dodge St artery so once there is no more demand for Northbound development I would think it would head west along Dodge St even further. Since I'm sure there is plenty of people commuting to town from Fremont heading further west seems to be the logical chose.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

guitarguy wrote:I think there is an upper limit on Northbound development since Elkhorn lives and dies by way of the Dodge St artery so once there is no more demand for Northbound development I would think it would head west along Dodge St even further. Since I'm sure there is plenty of people commuting to town from Fremont heading further west seems to be the logical chose.
The sewer only goes to far west, however.  That will begin to force people north and south (south already filling in).

Post by Guest »

cdub wrote:
guitarguy wrote:I think there is an upper limit on Northbound development since Elkhorn lives and dies by way of the Dodge St artery so once there is no more demand for Northbound development I would think it would head west along Dodge St even further. Since I'm sure there is plenty of people commuting to town from Fremont heading further west seems to be the logical chose.
The sewer only goes to far west, however.  That will begin to force people north and south (south already filling in).
They can't go west.  That's the DC west school district.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sorry about the size, but:

Post by Guest »

cdub wrote:
They can't go west.  That's the DC west school district.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

How fast is Elkhorn growing now? Seems like its where most of the development around the city is.. ?
Coyote
City Council

Re: New High School?

Post by Coyote »

Elkhorn North High School at 204th and Fort?
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

This really isn't a rumor. Elkhorn believes that their students are better off if they keep their schools Class B. However, I have noticed certain programs do not exist because their schools are too small in population, backwards thinking, and higher taxes due to bonds constantly being passed to pay for high-end school buildings, which house granite counters. As you know, school buildings create smarter students.

I know most of this as I was in the teaching field for a while. Didn't work out as teachers who think for themselves are not wanted. You have to play by the rules, teach out of the book, and only have a bubbly school girl personality. Oh, and never have left high school.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

mcarch wrote:This really isn't a rumor.  Elkhorn believes that their students are better off if they keep their schools Class B.  However, I have noticed certain programs do not exist because their schools are too small in population, backwards thinking, and higher taxes due to bonds constantly being passed to pay for high-end school buildings, which house granite counters.  As you know, school buildings create smarter students.

I know most of this as I was in the teaching field for a while.  Didn't work out as teachers who think for themselves are not wanted.  You have to play by the rules, teach out of the book, and only have a bubbly school girl personality.  Oh, and never have left high school.
Class A schools have killed themselves in terms of extra-curriculars. They aim so high that only the super talented have a shot, and the rest of the kids are left out. Given the nature of college applications, everyone wants to have something on their application. Selling popcorn at one Sunday afternoon performance of one school play doesn't get you anywhere.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

bigredmed wrote:
mcarch wrote:This really isn't a rumor.  Elkhorn believes that their students are better off if they keep their schools Class B.  However, I have noticed certain programs do not exist because their schools are too small in population, backwards thinking, and higher taxes due to bonds constantly being passed to pay for high-end school buildings, which house granite counters.  As you know, school buildings create smarter students.

I know most of this as I was in the teaching field for a while.  Didn't work out as teachers who think for themselves are not wanted.  You have to play by the rules, teach out of the book, and only have a bubbly school girl personality.  Oh, and never have left high school.
Class A schools have killed themselves in terms of extra-curriculars.  They aim so high that only the super talented have a shot, and the rest of the kids are left out.  Given the nature of college applications, everyone wants to have something on their application.  Selling popcorn at one Sunday afternoon performance of one school play doesn't get you anywhere.

There are plenty of other things to be involved with than just sports. If you want to be involved, you'll be involved whether you're at a small school or a big school. I went to Millard North and I was involved in a lot of things even though I wasn't particularly the best at any of them. And I would argue I had a lot more academic opportunities because my school was larger than the Elkhorn schools, and thus could offer classes that are only taken by a smaller portion of students.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I have actually heard that there is a group of people backing off of the staying in Class B issue. I was told to not be surprised if Elkhorn and Elkhorn South bother get to A status before they move on another HS.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

mcarch wrote:Didn't work out as teachers who think for themselves are not wanted.  You have to play by the rules, teach out of the book, and only have a bubbly school girl personality.  Oh, and never have left high school.
hmmm … I am not any of those and still teaching. :D
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OPS targets spot for new northwest high school
Erin Duffy: World-Herald staff writer wrote: Land near 156th and Ida Streets could become the site of a new 1,500-student high school. The property is within OPS’s boundaries but is just south of the Bennington school district.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

"1,500" is that big or small for OPS and the metro?
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

MTO wrote:"1,500" is that big or small for OPS and the metro?
Here is a clip from a march story in the World Herald: It appears that 1,500 would be on the small side.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hopefully they plan ahead and they don't have a beautiful new school with portables in front of it in a few years...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Elkhorn Public Schools picks site for new high school, may acquire land with eminent domain
Omaha World Herald wrote:The Elkhorn school board voted unanimously Monday morning to move forward with eminent domain proceedings to acquire roughly 43.5 acres at 180th Street and West Maple Road for a proposed new high school.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (220.23 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
jomfa
New to the Neighborhood

Re:

Post by jomfa »

Coyote wrote:...Because they want to stay Class B in Sports?

Do they have land yet?
180th & Maple - - http://www.omaha.com/news/education/elk ... 696da.html

the big question is how will they redraw the lines within the district which determine which high school the students attend. lots of families south of Dodge who are hearing they may redraw lines to send them to Elkhorn High instead of Elkhorn South (which they can see from their house) and that's going to cause lots of complaints.
MKMScat20
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MKMScat20 »

There has not been talk about redrawing the dividing line for ESHS. The third HS will alleviate overcrowding at Elkhorn High. Yes, ESHS is currently bigger than EHS but enrollment trends/projections show EHS will be larger than South in a few years. I would guess parents south of Dodge have nothing to worry about currently. The district may allow students south of Dodge to attend either north side high school to alleviate crowding if they choose but one can only speculate about that.