Brandeis Restaurant Tenants

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brandeis Restaurant Tenants

Post by Guest »

Today I heard that Brandeis has letters of understanding for a restaurant and a sports bar for the area right along 16th St. I didn't get a whole lot of other details but I think the sports bar would go on the corner of 16th & Douglas with the restaurant along 16th St., south of the entrance to the food court.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Awesome if it happens. I hope the places can find away to make it work in spite of 16th streets short comings for supporting anything after 5pm.
DTO
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

DTO Luv wrote:Awesome if it happens. I hope the places can find away to make it work in spite of 16th streets short comings for supporting anything after 5pm.
Actually having something to go to is a nice start. I hope this is true. Could be a bit of a kickstart on 16th street development.
blueskyomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by blueskyomaha »

I heard a very unconfirmed rumor this week that Townsend has or will be putting up the building for re-sale for $45 Million.  Any one else hearing anything?  Maybe it's a sign he wants to exit Omaha.  I noticed all of the Wall Street Tower signs are gone from the Old U.P. sight.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Or, maybe he needs more capital to get Wallstreet off the ground.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963

Post by Guest »

Paddy Oquiglies is the sports bar.  Look for a spring / summer opening.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Looks like this is in the works.

From Paddy O'Quigley's twitter.....

"Plans are underway for the Newest Paddy O'Quigley's to Open in the Spring of 2010 ~ The Irish are coming to Omaha in The Brandeis Building"
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I've never heard of this place before but I think this will be something the Brandies building needs. SOmething to get people in there after lunch time and into the night.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am confused?  I thought there was a Paddy O'Quigley's here in Omaha, but when you look at that twitter page there is a link to their website http://oquigleys.com/ which does not show an Omaha location, but it also shows that Paddy O'Quigley's is a Kansas chain?

Post by Guest »

Paddy O'Quigley's is based out of Leawood, KS and they did have an Omaha location for a short period of time. It was where the current Oscar's is located. First they try 168th and Center and now the Brandeis building? Evidently, they like taking serious risks.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anonymous wrote:Paddy O'Quigley's is based out of Leawood, KS and they did have an Omaha location for a short period of time. It was where the current Oscar's is located. First they try 168th and Center and now the Brandeis building? Evidently, they like taking serious risks.
Their odds will not be any worse downtown, I believe Josh said it best... "180th and Center is where restaurants go to die..."
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Brad wrote:.... Paddy O'Quigley's is a Kansas chain?
Other Kansas chains or chains started in Kansas?   Pizza Hut and Applebee's.   A couple of serious culinary giants.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Other Kansas chains or chains started in Kansas?   Pizza Hut and Applebee's.   A couple of serious culinary giants.
I thought it was a mom and pop joint for some reason.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Post by Guest »

NovakOmaha wrote:
White Castle too.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Anonymous wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
White Castle too.
There is a White Castle down the street from where I live...there is nothing quite so disgusting at that place.  I think I'll stop tomorrow for lunch.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

|expletive|! White Castle for the |expletive| win!
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

White Castle although very tasty was the worst I have ever felt sick after eating at a fast food place. So needless to say I'm glad we don't have them around here.  :yes:
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

guitarguy wrote:White Castle although very tasty was the worst I have ever felt sick after eating at a fast food place. So needless to say I'm glad we don't have them around here.  :yes:
Not that the two are anywhere similar, I'll take Broncos anytime.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

guitarguy wrote:White Castle although very tasty was the worst I have ever felt sick after eating at a fast food place. So needless to say I'm glad we don't have them around here.  :yes:
They say that White Castle is an acquired taste -- one I never acquired. Too onion-y for me.

A blog poster a while ago claimed that Omaha used to have a White Castle. Obviously long before my time. :)
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I've heard that before too, don't know if it's true. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm not claiming they are actual good food, but something that would be good to hit once in awhile.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wasn't there a White Castle on Center and about 35th? I think it is a movie theater or something now.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:Wasn't there a White Castle on Center and about 35th? I think it is a movie theater or something now.

Here's the blog comment which referred to it, posted by "Nicolas" some time ago, no e-mail or other obvious means of contact:
Thanks for the memories. Sometimes when your mind forgets, your tongue remembers.

The one's I miss are the three Greek-American places used to be downtown. Ambassador, Olympic, and Virginia. Ambassador was at 25 and Farnam and was oonce the only full service 24 hour restaurant in Omaha. Olympic was at 15 and Farnam and was late night but I don't think 24. Virginia was owned by the family of movie director Alexander Payne.

Also Harry's steak house in the Conant Hotel. Sing along in the piano bar, songbooks on the tables.

Omaha used to have a White Castle, 25 and Harney, but the big one downtown was a dozen or so Harkerts Holsum Hamburgers for lunch. Also for lunch you had Bishop's Cafeteria and Northrup Jones. Northrup's had a sister restaurant, the Olde English Inn in Dundee, then moved to Countryside Village. Also the Hilltop House in Dundee. Sorry to ramble on but I did enjoy this and it brought back all kinds of memories.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i'm excited for this.  Good for 16th street.
Go Cubs Go
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Also the Hilltop House in Dundee.
My extended family in town used to have a Christmas season dinner at the Hilltop House every year... was sorry to see it go.

And my Dad always talked fondly of Tiner's drive-in on Dodge (now where King Kong is)... the 50's street rod crowd used to hang out there... my Dad had a '49 Merc (before they started chopping them).

Sorry, back to regular programming.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

There is a large poster in the windows of the Brandeis at 16th & Douglas announcing that "Paddy O'Quigley's Pub & Grille coming soon"
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

ricko
Parks & Recreation

OOOOOh Danny BOOOOOY !!

Post by ricko »

I hope this is named after someone (I'm Irish) because it sounds like the name was chosen by a really cheesy focus group headed by my grandparents.  I winced and did a major eye-roll when I saw the name.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

I walked by on Friday and it looked like they were starting some sort of work on the area- at least getting rid of some of the windows along the interior walkway.
colorado

POQ

Post by colorado »

They are building it now.  they are supposedly under a deadline as well
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Re: OOOOOh Danny BOOOOOY !!

Post by mrdwhsr »

ricko wrote:I hope this is named after someone (I'm Irish) because it sounds like the name was chosen by a really cheesy focus group headed by my grandparents.  I winced and did a major eye-roll when I saw the name.
Most grandparents have better taste. More likely the culprit was driving by a Carlos O'Kellys while talking on the cell phone and suffered a brain fart.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

At least  "Carlos O'Kelly" is goofy/cool non-sequitur.
nomm89

paddys

Post by nomm89 »

current deadline for the opening is first week in june, i am currently employed at the brandeis building. they are making substantial progress in the last few weeks. its starting to take shape,
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks nomm89!
icejammer
County Board

Re: paddys

Post by icejammer »

nomm89 wrote:current deadline for the opening is first week in june, i am currently employed at the brandeis building. they are making substantial progress in the last few weeks. its starting to take shape,
First week in June?  They're not even done with all the framing, I don't know how they'll ever make it in another 2 weeks.

Unless you meant June 2011....
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
nomm89

paDDYS O'S

Post by nomm89 »

our management staff here at the brandeis has been told mid june. the framing is almost complete, and ventilation will be done by the beginning of next week. they are planning to bring in additional workers to ensure it will be done by july for sure. they are just trying to be as cost efficient as possible, seeing as they are already close to their anticipated budget for construction. should be awesome once its complete!!
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Thanks for that info nomm!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

If I just heard someone say the name, I might think it was a place called "Patio Quigley's".
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:If I just heard someone say the name, I might think it was a place called "Patio Quigley's".
Close.... "Paddy O'Quiglies"  Page one of this thread, December 28, 2009.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Brad wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:If I just heard someone say the name, I might think it was a place called "Patio Quigley's".
Close.... "Paddy O'Quiglies"  Page one of this thread, December 28, 2009.
LOL. Are you serious? Of course I saw that, and I know what Paddy O'Quigley's is. That's how I knew to do the play on words of "Patio Quigley's". Give me some credit, Brad.  :;):