With a grain of salt...

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bu that was already based in Omaha it wouldn't of really made sense for them to go looking at Detroit and Dallas just to decide to keep it in Omaha really.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Bu that was already based in Omaha it wouldn't of really made sense for them to go looking at Detroit and Dallas just to decide to keep it in Omaha really.
I am guessing this was needed with his post:  :sarcasm:
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Bu that was already based in Omaha it wouldn't of really made sense for them to go looking at Detroit and Dallas just to decide to keep it in Omaha really.

:lol: Just being a super pessimist.  That way I am more surprised if something else does happen.

Post by Guest »

We'll know in 60-90 days.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think this ranks up there with the new Peony Park on the really going to happen scale.

Greg
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Greg S wrote:I think this ranks up there with the new Peony Park on the really going to happen scale.

Greg
So slightly behind Wall Street Tower?
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
Greg S wrote:I think this ranks up there with the new Peony Park on the really going to happen scale.

Greg
So slightly behind Wall Street Tower?
I will never take "60-90 days" seriously ever again, haha.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Brad wrote:

On the other hand, when your unemployment rate is around 20% Detroit would be very justified in being jealous of 500 additional jobs.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I am DYING for some announcements that corroborate this rumor!!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

perhaps that's what the new forum section should be called..."Rumors Never Corroborated"
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Vortex Tower is going to look damn good on the WST site.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

ShawJ wrote:Vortex Tower is going to look darn good on the WST site.
dislike...
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Ok, let's clear up some things.

I didn't hear the entire conversation.  I posted what I heard.  There may have been some sentences between the ones I posted.  If this means that Chik fil a builds a restaurant across the street from the Qwest Center that may be what I heard.  If 3 50-story towers are built where the Swanson Plant was, that may be it.  

Comerica moved its headquarters from Detroit to Dallas a couple of years ago.  Do you think they would move to Omaha just because Omaha is Omaha?  Doubtful.  They moved to Dallas because they wanted to grow their Texas business.  

You're free to speculate but reread what I posted.  

Jeff?  If nothing happens I'll refund your money.  If something happens, you owe me a large La Casa pizza, fried ravs and pasta.  They don't do pizza right here in Michigan.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

NovakOmaha wrote:Ok, let's clear up some things.

I didn't hear the entire conversation.  I posted what I heard.  There may have been some sentences between the ones I posted.  If this means that Chik fil a builds a restaurant across the street from the Qwest Center that may be what I heard.  If 3 50-story towers are built where the Swanson Plant was, that may be it.  

Comerica moved its headquarters from Detroit to Dallas a couple of years ago.  Do you think they would move to Omaha just because Omaha is Omaha?  Doubtful.  They moved to Dallas because they wanted to grow their Texas business.  

You're free to speculate but reread what I posted.  

Jeff?  If nothing happens I'll refund your money.  If something happens, you owe me a large La Casa pizza, fried ravs and pasta.  They don't do pizza right here in Michigan.
touche.

You can tell there's not a lot going on when people are this worked up over the possibility of something big finally happening somewhere in the area :)
Go Cubs Go

Post by Guest »

Remember that guy who used to play both baseball and football? I think his name was Bo Gus. = )
erik2

Post by erik2 »

Yep, let's lay this one to rest for now..

If something does happen, then we can guess if this what it or not.   Better not entertain ideas that came from a choppy conversation from Detriot.

Re: ..

Post by Guest »

erik2 wrote:Yep, let's lay this one to rest for now..
I don't think anyone has really blown this out of proportion. Excitement? Yes. But no one is sitting here claiming that new towers are days from proposal.

heck, there's not much else to talk about.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stable genius.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Big E, you have the best nerd posts ever, I appreciate them.
erik2

Post by erik2 »

Has anything been circulating about any big expansion that resembles this possibility yet?

I am getting a hunch that something big is soon to be announced as I am beginning to feel a bit of "creeking" in my knee.

Here's to the future!
Omaguest

Hyatt?

Post by Omaguest »

Could this perhaps be something relating to the Hyatt tower supposed to be developing in Omaha? Or perhaps the transit issues of the city?  :?:
Omatranny

Post by Omatranny »

I don't think the cities of Detroit, Dallas, and Omaha would be competing via chamber of commerce for a Hyatt tower and/or transit. It's a sculpture of Courtney Love eating a jelly donut.
Omagod

Post by Omagod »

Wouldn't she be eating a donut hole ?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I don't think anything will become of this.  

Greg
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Greg S wrote:I don't think anything will become of this.  

Greg
Regardless of that, I just want to know what they were talking about! They were talking about something.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Greg S wrote:I don't think anything will become of this.  

Greg
Regardless of that, I just want to know what they were talking about! They were talking about something.
I told you what I heard.  I wasn't in a position to ask for more as my guests arrived.  Think whatever you want, or don't.  I really don't care...what anyone thinks.  I still care a lot about Omaha.  I seriously doubt that they were messing with my head.  They were wearing suits and appeared to be in their 40s to 60s.  
Reread what I originally posted and don't read anything more into it than what I posted.  For what it's worth, things do take time especially in this day and age.

Thus Greg, you are free to have whatever opinion you want, be it optimistic or pessimistic.  

And Streets, you'll appreciate this.  I keep finding areas of the Detroit Metro that are amazingly pedestrian friendly.  Some are maybe a mile long while others are many blocks and I see lots of people walking to stores and biking as well.  As I understand it the buses have had bike racks for quite a long time and I see them with bikes on them often.  I know the outsider opinion of Detroit but in some ways they are very progressive.  Check out Ferndale, Berkley, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Northfille for example.  I think you'll be impressed with what you see.  I am impressed with the level of occupancy of the commercial areas on the main streets.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

This is still may favorite rumor of this site....Still think a trick was being played.

Greg

Re: With a grain of salt...

Post by Guest »

4 years later...

Safe to assume this was made up.