2011 Legislation

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

S33 wrote: More Douch*bag Legislation

Bill would ban the sale of novelty lighters
I saw that.  Apparently the NE legislative session is too long!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

S33 wrote:I understand that, but there should still be a system which dissuades from having one party repeatedly elected to the white house because large population centers are able to cast the majority of votes - or vise versa.
I'm not making the connection...?  How does where one lives affect how one votes?

I know that you can overlay a blue/red map and it pretty much jives with population density, but I think you've got the cause-effect relationship backwards.  ex: Like-minded people tend to flock together, as opposed to people together tend to become like minded.

Going back to the first post-WW2 election (1948) the parties have exactly tied 8-8 in the popular vote.  Only once did the popular vote not match the electoral (Bush '00).  

I honestly can't think of a better way of electing an executive position than through a popular vote.  (Although I'd probably settle for basing it on congressional districts.)

It blows my mind that we have a system where people can go to a polling place, cast more votes than the other side, and lose.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote: It blows my mind that we have a system where people can go to a polling place, cast more votes than the other side, and lose.
Same here. But the more I think about it, I still think there needs to be some mechanism in place which can be used as a safe guard against any one party monopolizing the white house.

Maybe I'm not looking at it correctly but, to me, I'm thinking that the US, a country which has historically been a pretty even split Red/Blue, seems to be moving in opposite directions as far as interests go, and everyone has pretty much drawn a line in the sand socially, economically, and politically. This forum alone is a pretty good microcosm of national interests, whether it's urban verse suburban or liberal verse conservative.

My point: Something as instant as illegal immigrant amnesty would offset the relatively even political balance in our country and I doubt a republican would have even the slightest chance to be elected to the white house if those efforts were to ever come to fruition. And I think we all know from the Bush and Obama years that white house agendas pretty much dominate our legislative sessions.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Big E wrote:It blows my mind that we have a system where people can go to a polling place, cast more votes than the other side, and lose.
There's simply no mechanism for a national popular vote. There's also no such thing as a Federal election, nor is there any mechanism to provide for one. Every election is run by the individual states.  Like it or not, we're not a democracy at the Federal level; we're a republic. There's no popular referenda, there's no recall process, etc. - nothing at the federal level is done by direct democracy.

Also, how can you have a national election when the voting standards are so different on a state-to-state basis? One state might allow hanging chads to count, while another would not. Are you going to have 50 Florida's in the event of a close race, spending billions of dollars doing hand recounts of 125,000,000 ballots nationwide? And what happens when Missouri disallows a vote that Vermont allowed?

At least the electoral college takes into consideration the population of the various states and divides the votes accordingly. The next best alternative, given the structure of the government and Constitutional limitations, would be to provide one state, one vote. Imagine the uproar when Wyoming gets a vote equal to California.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Don't get me wrong...  the system clearly isn't changing, so I'm not on some crusade here.

But this is a perfect example of what I was saying previously about modern technology and logic.  The system was developed when long distance communications (no telegraph) didn't exist, transportation was limited (grab your horse and hope something resembling a road is still there), and there was a very real possibility of someone being killed by Indian attack on the way to DC to turn in their votes.

We can't come up with something different?  Christ, I know a couple of people that could have an iPhone app set up by this afternoon to handle a national election.

As far as there being no mechanism in place for a federal election, there's simply no reason that couldn't be changed, other than the will to organize.

But again, I know I'm pissing into the wind here.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Another well intentioned law gone completely overboard!

Bill would ban beer on boats

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110301/N ... r-on-boats
John Schreier WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Legislative Bill 554, introduced by State Sen. John Harms of Scottsbluff, would ban open containers of alcohol for all passengers on boats or other vessels in motion.

While it already is illegal in Nebraska to operate a boat under the influence of alcohol, no law bars anyone — including the driver — from having an open container.
John Schreier WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Sen. Tyson Larson of O'Neill worried about the impact of the legislation in his district in northeastern Nebraska. “We'd be banning the people tubing down the Niobrara River,” he said.

An estimated 40,000 people take boats, canoes and tubes down the river each year.
John Schreier WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:“The answer is not to add another law,” he told the committee. “The answer is to enforce the law you already have.”
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Hey, John Harms, Go |expletive| Yourself!

This sh*t is getting old. Since we need to be babied, how about introducing some bills that require the state to wipe our |expletive| and take our trash out?
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Facepalm
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Morality police are always so much fun to watch in action.  And yes, they come from both parties.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110310/N ... rther-bill
Legislative Bill 654 would bar Obama’s name from appearing on the Nebraska ballot because his father was not a U.S. citizen.
The measure requires presidential and vice presidential candidates to prove they are eligible for the nation’s highest office before they could be candidates in Nebraska.
By that definition, she said neither GOP candidate John McCain nor Obama were qualifed as candidates. McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone, although to U.S. citizens.
More ridiculous legislation from Christensen.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

heck, that would disqualify George Washington, as he was born in Colonial Virginia, before the existence of the US.  Probably a Muslim, too.  Actually, 8 of the first 9 Presidents would not qualify under this bill.

These birther |expletive|-hats need to get lives.  The irony is this movement started from the fringe of the Hillary campaign.  I wonder if these people realize whose banner they're waving?
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

iamjacobm wrote:More ridiculous legislation from Christensen.
Don't those birthers have anything better to do? :(

Jeesh! Get a life! :(
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Big E wrote:Actually, 8 of the first 9 Presidents would not qualify under this bill.
Add Chester A. Arthur.  Plus I would imagine there will be a hispanic candidate in the next 50 years that was born in the U.S. but one or both their parents were not.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

iamjacobm wrote:
Big E wrote:Actually, 8 of the first 9 Presidents would not qualify under this bill.
Add Chester A. Arthur.  Plus I would imagine there will be a hispanic candidate in the next 50 years that was born in the U.S. but one or both their parents were not.
More to the point, there is nothing in the Constitution requiring parental citizenship to run for Federal office. So why the **** is that even on the table?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

And we pay for this |expletive|.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

S33 wrote:And we pay for this |expletive|.
We have the best elected officials that money can buy!
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Okla firefighter union won't pull criticized ad

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110326/AP09/303269998

-Well, at least Omaha is not the only city with a fire union that tries to avoid ANY honest discussion, knowing they would lose, and instead rely on Michael Moore tactics of pulling on heart strings with something COMPLETELY unrelated to it.  Just waiting for the "if you support this, you support killing fire fighters and city residents."
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

joeglow wrote:Okla firefighter union won't pull criticized ad

-Well, at least Omaha is not the only city with a fire union that tries to avoid ANY honest discussion, knowing they would lose, and instead rely on Michael Moore tactics of pulling on heart strings with something COMPLETELY unrelated to it.  Just waiting for the "if you support this, you support killing fire fighters and city residents."
Without seeing the ad in question, how are the fire union's avoiding honest discussion?  Sounds more like some state senators are trying to avoid honest discussion about what services the firefighters provide in a time of need.  And honestly, how many of us are going to go out there and do what they do for the pay they get?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

icejammer wrote:
joeglow wrote:Okla firefighter union won't pull criticized ad

Without seeing the ad in question, how are the fire union's avoiding honest discussion?  Sounds more like some state senators are trying to avoid honest discussion about what services the firefighters provide in a time of need.  And honestly, how many of us are going to go out there and do what they do for the pay they get?
Those jobs are very hard to get because of the good pay and great benefits, plus a lot of people (myself included) want non-complacent jobs.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

icejammer wrote:Without seeing the ad in question, how are the fire union's avoiding honest discussion?
My first question was "what the |expletive| does an Oklahoma fire union have to do with Nebraska's upcoming legislation". Then I looked at who posted it.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bosco55David wrote:
icejammer wrote:Without seeing the ad in question, how are the fire union's avoiding honest discussion?
My first question was "what the |expletive| does an Oklahoma fire union have to do with Nebraska's upcoming legislation". Then I looked at who posted it.
And you should look at where it was originally posted and how it got here.  However, you have already shown you have no problem forming opinions without any effort put into gaining facts.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

joeglow wrote:And you should look at where it was originally posted and how it got here.  However, you have already shown you have no problem forming opinions without any effort put into gaining facts.
- I saw where it was posted (the Omaha.com link kinda gave it away). Don't see how that's relevant though.

- It got here because YOU posted it.

- I didn't form an opinion, I shared a question. You should learn the difference.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bosco55David wrote:
joeglow wrote:And you should look at where it was originally posted and how it got here.  However, you have already shown you have no problem forming opinions without any effort put into gaining facts.
- I saw where it was posted (the Omaha.com link kinda gave it away). Don't see how that's relevant though.

- I didn't form an opinion, I shared a question. You should learn the difference.
Wow.  Still don't understand it.  It was posted as part of the budget thread for the fire department in the "Omaha City Government" area and was moved to this completely unrelated thread.  

It was in response to our great fire department's quote reguarding the decision to not send out the entire department on every non-emergency call and how we are compromising our very existence with this gestapo style policy.  Thus, your snarky comment about why this was posted here and you seeing it was me and that was all the explanation you needed demonstrated your willingness to form opinions (it is Joe Glow) without bothering with finding the facts (the admin moved it to this thread for some reason).

Clear now?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:

Wow.  Still don't understand it.  It was posted as part of the budget thread for the fire department in the "Omaha City Government" area and was moved to this completely unrelated thread.  

It was in response to our great fire department's quote reguarding the decision to not send out the entire department on every non-emergency call and how we are compromising our very existence with this gestapo style policy.  Thus, your snarky comment about why this was posted here and you seeing it was me and that was all the explanation you needed demonstrated your willingness to form opinions (it is Joe Glow) without bothering with finding the facts (the admin moved it to this thread for some reason).

Clear now?
That still doesn't answer the original question as to what honest discussion is being avoided here?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Hmmmm ... just thinking here ...

I wonder what the opinion on this is by those whose homes were saved -- or whose lives were saved by the Omaha Fire Department?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Omababe wrote:Hmmmm ... just thinking here ...

I wonder what the opinion on this is by those whose homes were saved -- or whose lives were saved by the Omaha Fire Department?

Hmmmm.....using that logic, we should staff 20 to a truck and send a dozen trucks to every call.  Nice Michael Moore tactic, though.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

joeglow wrote:Hmmmm.....using that logic, we should staff 20 to a truck and send a dozen trucks to every call.  Nice Michael Moore tactic, though.
I'm not trying to start a red/blue war here. I realize that this issue appears to be split right on that red/blue divide which unites us all.

However, I have a feeling that most of those who have strong opinions on either side have never needed the services of fire or rescue.

I do have a feeling that those who owe their lives (or property) to OFD may have a different feeling about it, no matter where on the red-blue spectrum they fall.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:

Clear now?
Ok, so that solves one issue (how it ended up here) but the question of why you thought a story regarding an Oklahoma Fire Union is remotely relevant to anything Omaha still stands and remains unanswered.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bosco55David wrote:
joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:

Clear now?
Ok, so that solves one issue (how it ended up here) but the question of why you thought a story regarding an Oklahoma Fire Union is remotely relevant to anything Omaha still stands and remains unanswered.
It was a comparison with their Department pulling the "you want children to burn alive" card right when the Fire Union in Omaha did the same thing when the city announced it would not send out ladder trucks to non-fire calls.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Omababe wrote:
joeglow wrote:Hmmmm.....using that logic, we should staff 20 to a truck and send a dozen trucks to every call.  Nice Michael Moore tactic, though.
I'm not trying to start a red/blue war here. I realize that this issue appears to be split right on that red/blue divide which unites us all.

However, I have a feeling that most of those who have strong opinions on either side have never needed the services of fire or rescue.

I do have a feeling that those who owe their lives (or property) to OFD may have a different feeling about it, no matter where on the red-blue spectrum they fall.
I agree with that.   However, part of the responsibility of a government is to separate themselves from the personal emotions individuals may have and to balance the costs and benefits of decisions.  Like I said, if we relied on personal emotions, we would staff 100 to a truck, every person guilty of a violent crime would be sentenced to death, etc.  

In this case, it is perfectly reasonable for the government to say "look, we already send out an ambulance and fire truck to all non-fire calls.  It is not necessary for us to send out a ladder truck as well."  However, the fire union HAS to come out and play the "the government wants to kill all innocent people" card, less they see their bloated budget cut by one tenth of one percent.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

joeglow wrote:It was a comparison with their Department pulling the "you want children to burn alive" card right when the Fire Union in Omaha did the same thing when the city announced it would not send out ladder trucks to non-fire calls.
I fail to see how that comparison is relevant to Omaha's Fire Union.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bosco55David wrote:
joeglow wrote:It was a comparison with their Department pulling the "you want children to burn alive" card right when the Fire Union in Omaha did the same thing when the city announced it would not send out ladder trucks to non-fire calls.
And, I am not surprised.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
And, I am not surprised.
Neither am I, as it's invalidity aside, I know exactly why you posted it.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bosco55David wrote:
joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
And, I am not surprised.
Neither am I, as it's invalidity aside, I know exactly why you posted it.
Yeah.  Because the fire union released their statement this past weekend saying we want people in fires to die because we stopped sending ladder trucks to non-fire calls (when 2 other vehicles are already responding).  No jobs were cut, but some were moved to Elkhorn.  I posted this to show that this TERRIBLE, corrupt practice is part of a concerted playbook being used across the US.  

But, you will use Steve LeClair's tactic by attacking ME to try and stop a legitimate discussion on government waste within the fire department/union.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

joeglow wrote:I posted this to show that this TERRIBLE, corrupt practice is part of a concerted playbook being used across the US.
 If you thought it was so terrible, why not post it when it happened in Omaha? Oklahoma is irrelevant.[/quote]
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bosco55David wrote:
joeglow wrote:I posted this to show that this TERRIBLE, corrupt practice is part of a concerted playbook being used across the US.
 If you thought it was so terrible, why not post it when it happened in Omaha? Oklahoma is irrelevant.
Or.....you can discuss it now rather than trying to argue about nothing.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
 If you thought it was so terrible, why not post it when it happened in Omaha? Oklahoma is irrelevant.
I don't give two shits what Oklahoma does, so why would I talk about them?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bosco55David wrote:
joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
I don't give two |expletive| what Oklahoma does, so why would I talk about them?
And yet, you also refuse to discuss LeClair's recent release.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
I don't give two |expletive| what Oklahoma does, so why would I talk about them?
You didn't post LeClair's.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bosco55David wrote:
joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
You didn't post LeClair's.
What are your thoughts on this:

http://www.ketv.com/news/27331193/detail.html

Better????