2011 Lincoln Marathon/Half Marathon

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

almighty_tuna
City Council

2011 Lincoln Marathon/Half Marathon

Post by almighty_tuna »

It just sold out minutes ago and did so faster than any other previous year, despite the addition of 2,000 more slots.  This is really getting to be a popular event.  They do a fantastic job of putting this together.  Omaha's is not near as nice as this, IMO.
Blade1655
Home Owners Association

Post by Blade1655 »

Any advice or tips for first time entrants?  Finally got outside yesterday and made it all the way around Zorinsky.  Felt great to be outside again!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Join the FB group! We have weekly runs and a great knowledge base.  Are you doing the full or the half?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk= ... 40822&ap=1

My best advice is

1) don't try anything new on race day.  have your race day nutrition (breakfast foods),  in-run nutrition (gu, hammergel, powerade/gatorade, etc) and running gear tried and tested well before.  Don't decide to try out that new pair of running shorts or introduce something new to your system on the day of the race.  know how your body reacts to stuff beforehand so there's no surprises.

2) start off at a slower pace than you want to finish at.  everyone wants to get going out of the gate, but if you hang back 30-45sec/mile slower than your goal time and gradually increase with mileage you will have a better experience.  it does not work to get in some fast miles up front and coast the rest of the race.  don't fall victim to adrenaline and wear yourself out early.

3) put band-aids over your nipples.  call it tmi, or whatever, but bloody nipples are not good.  you'll see many people towards the end of the full with two red splotches on their chest where their nipples used to be.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

From everything I have heard this event was great this year.  Someone even mentioned adding a few thousand more slots next year.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Likewise.  I didn't get down there like I had planned to (will have to find another half to do this spring) but i hear it was phenomenal, complete with real-time race tracking.  Definitely a premier event.  The only thing that could make it better is if they stopped using the bike path along Hwy 2!