Living in downtown Lincoln

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

almighty_tuna
City Council

Living in downtown Lincoln

Post by almighty_tuna »

"It's a fun place to be, and it's close to lots of jobs," said Froehlich, who manages four downtown buildings.

More than 28,000 people work downtown, while around 3,000 live in the area between 7th and 17th and K to R streets, according to the Downtown Lincoln Association.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/artic ... a677c.html
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

...and the growing need for a grocery store.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/artic ... 192ee.html

Ironically, while Omaha has Patrick's Market downtown and a Wholners in midtown, it is without a cvs/walgreens in the core while Lincoln has one right downtown.  Chicken & egg, indeed.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Don't forget the need to cater somewhat to 6000+ students living on campus at any given moment.
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

For which aspect?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Living/commerce in the area in general, I guess.

Nevermind me.
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Big E wrote:Don't forget the need to cater somewhat to 6000+ students living on campus at any given moment.
And this is a population that compared to the general population in the Midwest is much less likely to have a car to go elsewhere for their buying power.  I was in Lincoln DT last Saturday afternoon and there were a lot of people out and about.  Between the theaters, the retail that was open, the haymarket and the panhandlers there were people all over.

It is a bit surprising that there is no grocery store close.  I believe there are a couple ethnic food stores in the area but the nearest traditional grocery is probably 27th and Cornhusker.  Maybe closer but nothing comes to mind.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

nebugeater wrote:the nearest traditional grocery is probably 27th and Cornhusker.  Maybe closer but nothing comes to mind.
There's one at 17th & Washington.  I think it's a Russ's Market.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

almighty_tuna wrote:...and the growing need for a grocery store.

Ironically, while Omaha has Patrick's Market downtown and a Wholners in midtown, it is without a cvs/walgreens in the core while Lincoln has one right downtown.  Chicken & egg, indeed.
There's a walgreens right by Midtown Crossing, where Dodge shifts from one-way to two-way.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

OmahaBen wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:...and the growing need for a grocery store.

There's a walgreens right by Midtown Crossing, where Dodge shifts from one-way to two-way.
I know, that's why I specified core.  30th & Dodge is great for midtown, but considering the daytime working population of downtown proper (think Conagra, FNB, Woodman, UP, etc) and the increasing number of downtown residents, a Walgreens/CVS within walking distance (say, where the now abandoned Crane Coffee & Bar is) to these would be well positioned to serve the tens of thousands within a few block radius.
Last edited by almighty_tuna on Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

nebugeater wrote:
Big E wrote:Don't forget the need to cater somewhat to 6000+ students living on campus at any given moment.
And this is a population that compared to the general population in the Midwest is much less likely to have a car to go elsewhere for their buying power.  I was in Lincoln DT last Saturday afternoon and there were a lot of people out and about.  Between the theaters, the retail that was open, the haymarket and the panhandlers there were people all over.

It is a bit surprising that there is no grocery store close.  I believe there are a couple ethnic food stores in the area but the nearest traditional grocery is probably 27th and Cornhusker.  Maybe closer but nothing comes to mind.

90% of those 6000+ students of which you speak within walking distance of downtown have dorm, fraternity, and sorority food services.  College kids do not go to the grocery store. They need fast food, bars, and Quick shops.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

blueblood wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

90% of those 6000+ students of which you speak within walking distance of downtown have dorm, fraternity, and sorority food services.  College kids do not go to the grocery store. They need fast food, bars, and Quick shops.

That is exactly why I broke this into two paragraphs.  They are separate needs
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Rojo's was a nice addition to the Haymarket, but it is expensive and doesn't have much (can't blame em').  It would be great if a grocery specialty store could open up on the P street corridor.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Considering the lackluster options that are close to DT(that Super Saver isn't all that great) I wouldn't be surprised to see a small grocer do well downtown.

While the students may not spend a ton of money there, I know I would of used a place that sold something half way healthy closer to campus.  Something like the Hy-Vee Heartland Pantry by east campus would do well DT or near DT I would bet.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:Considering the lackluster options that are close to DT(that Super Saver isn't all that great) I wouldn't be surprised to see a small grocer do well downtown.

While the students may not spend a ton of money there, I know I would of used a place that sold something half way healthy closer to campus.  Something like the Hy-Vee Heartland Pantry by east campus would do well DT or near DT I would bet.

I was in that Hartland Pantry a couple of months ago.  It is like that location has come full circle after expanding a downsizing.  Reminded me of almost the exact layout and offerings of the HyVee that filled that amt of space when I was living near their in the late 80's going to school
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

As a unl student living in the on campus apartments, I would love to see some kind of grocery store that is near enough to walk. I wouldn't have to pester my roommate about driving out to 27th street anymore. :D
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebugeater wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Considering the lackluster options that are close to DT(that Super Saver isn't all that great) I wouldn't be surprised to see a small grocer do well downtown.

I was in that Hartland Pantry a couple of months ago.  It is like that location has come full circle after expanding a downsizing.  Reminded me of almost the exact layout and offerings of the HyVee that filled that amt of space when I was living near their in the late 80's going to school
I wonder if it hasn't done as well as the company had hoped.  I believe that is still the only Heartland Pantry.  I have always been a fan of the store I have only been in there a few times, but every time it felt like a really great niche concept for the neighborhood.  It didn't feel like as much of a cattle drive as the bigger stores do.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Was in Lincoln for a few hours yesterday.  I might be going crazy, but downtown felt much more lively than it almost ever did when I went to UNL a few years ago.  People on bikes everywhere, nearly every building had street level tenants and a lot more interesting aspects than even a few years ago.

I mean I ate lunch at Qdoba on this awesome rooftop dinning area overlooking a green roof.

I get that Lincoln is a college town and benefits from that, but man the changes over a few years are impressive.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

That looks awesome! Wow!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I didn't realize the picture was that big, but it is super cool up there.  It is the Arbor Day Foundation's green roof and they gave Qdoba access, definitely not your run of the mill chain dining experience!