Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Canopy Street (The Yard Lincoln)

Post by Brad »

HopCat

Review: This bar has the state’s largest selection of craft beer on tap

http://www.omaha.com/go/review-this-bar ... 7b6c6.html
Ashley Strehle Hartman / World-Herald correspondent wrote:With more than 130 brews, HopCat boasts Nebraska’s largest selection of craft beer on tap, including a Local 20 that features Nebraska-made beers.

HopCat doesn’t carry brews from big name brands like Miller, Coors or Budweiser, but its staff can recommend beers you might like just as much. Or, likely, even more.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[youtube][/youtube]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Checked the hopCat out last night and it was really cool. 130 taps is an impressive sight. I didn't have any food but what I saw looked good.

Really liked the beer menu. They have their standard 20 beers that never change. The other 110 are one and done. If you see a read stamp that says "No Beer For You" on a beer, that means they are out. However on the back they have a "Coming Soon" section, so when they stamp the "No Beer For You" on the menu, they also put a green check on the menu by the next "Coming Soon Beer" and than means they are serving it.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Sounds like a good addition:

Gate 25 Bar and Restaurant

http://www.omaha.com/go/nightlife-revie ... b530f.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Olsson already expanding in DT Lincoln.

That four-story, 86,000-square-foot building opened in summer 2014. Olsson took about 46,000 square feet of space, leasing out the rest to other tenants, and assumed that would be enough for several years.

But a growth spurt in which the firm has acquired several other companies over the past four years has led to the addition of more than 50 employees in Lincoln, boosting job numbers at the local headquarters to more than 300 and companywide to more than 1,100.

"And we can see that growth continuing," said Olsson Associates CEO Brad Strittmatter.

Plans for the new building, which Olsson hopes to break ground on later this year and move into in early 2020, call for 67,000 square feet of office space and 5,800 square feet of retail space.

Strittmatter said the company intends to take some of the office space for itself and lease out the rest. He said he already has letters of intent signed with several businesses and will likely announce tenant names in the next couple of months.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Canopy Street Market recently opened. Huge deal having a grocery store in this area.

https://www.canopystreetmarket.com
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Linkin5 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:40 pm Canopy Street Market recently opened. Huge deal having a grocery store in this area.

What are the details on this place? How big is it and is it a full service grocery store?

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Greg S wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:51 am
Linkin5 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:40 pm Canopy Street Market recently opened. Huge deal having a grocery store in this area.

What are the details on this place? How big is it and is it a full service grocery store?

Greg
Yes it is a full grocery store, I’m not sure on the square footage.
Steve
Home Owners Association

Post by Steve »

From the Lincoln Journal:

The 8,000-square-foot store bills itself as a full-service grocery store, with a meat counter, deli, fresh produce, a large frozen food section and beer, wine and liquor.

LJS Canopy Market
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Steve wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:02 pm From the Lincoln Journal:

The 8,000-square-foot store bills itself as a full-service grocery store, with a meat counter, deli, fresh produce, a large frozen food section and beer, wine and liquor.

LJS Canopy Market
Sounds similar to a small Fareway in size
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ate at Hopcat today. Not sure if it’s a day after a Husker win problem or something else…. 130 taps but half of them look empty. Untapped only lists 61 beers on tap.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Railyard Rink Returns

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Skating in a winter wonderland; that’s happening almost every night at the Haymarket’s Railyard. The Railyard Rink, what was once a Lincoln staple has returned from its long, COVID-19 induced hiatus. And it turns out, turning the courtyard into a sprawling ice rink is a lot of work. “You have a Railyard that’s not level, so then you have to build a structure that levels the ground, to which then you have a glycol system underneath, to which then you add water, to which then have to freeze it,” Brandon Akert, owner of Gate 25, said.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I know we know have the skating ribbon, but wish the Capital District still had their rink as well. Obviously with needing reservations for the ribbon now, there's demand enough for both.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I am still perplexed by the Capitol District. There are times I have been there and it was decently buzzing when there is an event at CHI or Steelhouse, but then other times it is a ghost town with no one in the center court area at all (both in the winter and summer). I haven't been down there later in the night time, maybe that is when it is busier, but hopefully they can sustain the success in the area on a regular basis.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:28 pm I am still perplexed by the Capitol District. There are times I have been there and it was decently buzzing when there is an event at CHI or Steelhouse, but then other times it is a ghost town with no one in the center court area at all (both in the winter and summer). I haven't been down there later in the night time, maybe that is when it is busier, but hopefully they can sustain the success in the area on a regular basis.
Capital District just seems like it was done in the cheapest fashion possible to just get it done. It’s a shame it could have been a cool area like The Yard in Lincoln.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Linkin5 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:02 pm
skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:28 pm I am still perplexed by the Capitol District. There are times I have been there and it was decently buzzing when there is an event at CHI or Steelhouse, but then other times it is a ghost town with no one in the center court area at all (both in the winter and summer). I haven't been down there later in the night time, maybe that is when it is busier, but hopefully they can sustain the success in the area on a regular basis.
Capital District just seems like it was done in the cheapest fashion possible to just get it done. It’s a shame it could have been a cool area like The Yard in Lincoln.
And it's really just awfully designed. There's honestly no inviting entrance to it, so there's no reason to go there if you're just walking by on the street and don't know its there.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

It was almost better before they finished the buildings on Capitol. At least you could see into the development. Now it’s like everything is hidden unless you know it’s there.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:27 am It was almost better before they finished the buildings on Capitol. At least you could see into the development. Now it’s like everything is hidden unless you know it’s there.
I agree with all your points, both this one and the one earlier. Such a great place when there's a concert or CU's playing. I wish they'd get more stuff going with the big screen. I never see or hear of any big watch parties or anything. The Yard in Lincoln and Power and Light in KC utilize their courtyard areas so much better.

I also agree with the posts on how it's closed off and negatively impacts it. You have to know it's there and look for it. I wonder if they can do any sort of electric signs and lighting to call more attention to it. So many hotels in the area and I wonder how many missed opportunities there are to capitalize (pun intended) on them.

Greg
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Greg S wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:08 am
skinzfan23 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:27 am It was almost better before they finished the buildings on Capitol. At least you could see into the development. Now it’s like everything is hidden unless you know it’s there.
I agree with all your points, both this one and the one earlier. Such a great place when there's a concert or CU's playing. I wish they'd get more stuff going with the big screen. I never see or hear of any big watch parties or anything. The Yard in Lincoln and Power and Light in KC utilize their courtyard areas so much better.

I also agree with the posts on how it's closed off and negatively impacts it. You have to know it's there and look for it. I wonder if they can do any sort of electric signs and lighting to call more attention to it. So many hotels in the area and I wonder how many missed opportunities there are to capitalize (pun intended) on them.

Greg
Something like those overhead market lights, like what is in the rendering for the civic site.

Plant a couple of those on the two main entrances to the district. Not a silver bullet, but at least its something to inform passers by what's inside.

zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

Shouldn't most of this recent chat go in the Capitol District?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

zippy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:52 am Shouldn't most of this recent chat go in the Capitol District?
I guess, but this conversation was directly connected to the Railyard and the two districts have obvious similarities.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

went to the game yesterday at PBA- i love this whole area, i would love to go down when it is warmer and spend some time
Go Cubs Go