Canopy Street (The Yard Lincoln)

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Love it. I hope we have time to wander around before the game on Saturday!
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Tables and chairs are now out and permanent speakers have been put on the light posts since yesterday.  
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

This new area is going to be amazing for Husker games.. hopefully its a smooth transition and it extends the party area to include this whole new area. :mrgreen:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Thanks for all the updates!  Lincoln is seriously killing it right now, hard to imagine how much has changed in like 2 years.
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

From a couple of days ago. Anyone know the size of the ConAgra one in Omaha?

Railyard ice rink to open Dec. 7
The 4,200-square-foot outdoor rink is the first of its kind in Lincoln and will be in the center of the Railyard courtyard near the Pinnacle Bank Arena. The rink is scheduled to be open seven days a week through March 2.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Canopy Street (The Yard Lincoln)

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140227/M ... t-district
Lincoln's first Hyatt Hotel is now open for business.

The 111-room, pet-friendly Hyatt Place is part of the new West Haymarket district, located on Q Street, steps from the Pinnacle Bank Arena and three blocks from Memorial Stadium.
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/article/20140227/M ... t-district

The 111-room, pet-friendly Hyatt Place is part of the new West Haymarket district, located on Q Street, steps from the Pinnacle Bank Arena and three blocks from Memorial Stadium.
Interesting. I was down there tonight and saw the open banner but it didn't even look like anything on the inside was done. :what:
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Collin wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/article/20140227/M ... t-district

Interesting. I was down there tonight and saw the open banner but it didn't even look like anything on the inside was done.  :what:
This Hyatt is going for the brand-new "Sochi" concept.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The Yard was just electric Sunday before during and after the NU game.

Greg
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Greg S wrote:The Yard was just electric Sunday before during and after the NU game.

Greg
Assuming the weather there is as decent as it is here, I can imagine.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Greg S wrote:The Yard was just electric Sunday before during and after the NU game.

Greg
The one complaint I heard is that they still had the ice rink up.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They showed kids skating there and lively crowds on the telecast, looked awesome.
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Here are a couple of pictures posted by The Railyard's Facebook page. In the second picture, people are even standing on the stairs going up to Rule G. I could see this from where I was working in the arena and couldn't believe it. It was the perfect day and I can't wait to see this place during football games this fall. It would have been even better if the ice rink was down.

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Garrett wrote:
Collin wrote:Interesting. I was down there tonight and saw the open banner but it didn't even look like anything on the inside was done.  :what:
This Hyatt is going for the brand-new "Sochi" concept.
I think I'm a little late in reading this, but nice one!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The First (I think) closing of one of the recently opened restaurants in the Rail Yard area has taken place.

Sounds like they gave it the old college try but some of these will miss and this one just didn't find a target.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/artic ... pg.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After almost a year in business, the owners of Jack&June, a Railyard restaurant at 300 Canopy Street, have closed the doors.

“The restaurant business is sometimes hard to understand and even harder to predict," said founder Kevin Shinn in a news release. "But what’s not hard to understand is how difficult it is."

Shinn left the organization Jan. 31. He also owns bread&cup, another Haymarket restaurant. Competition in the area has expanded significantly over the past year with the opening of Pinnacle Bank Arena and the entertainment district that sprouted alongside in the West Haymarket....................

Read the rest at the link
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Not sure if we had a dedicated thread for the Olsson Associates HQ.

http://journalstar.com/business/local/o ... d0d8c.html
Olsson partnered with Tetrad Development of Omaha to build the new four-story building on the southwest corner of Canopy and P streets.

When the project was announced last year, cost was estimated at about $17 million. Strittmatter said it may wind up being a bit higher. The building cost $10 million, and Olsson spent just over $4 million to build out and outfit its space. He estimated the costs of finishing remaining space at about $3 million to $5 million.

The engineering and design firm will occupy all of the second floor and most of the third, taking about 46,000 square feet of the 82,000 square feet available.

Olsson and Tetrad, who share ownership of the building, are hoping to attract an office tenant for the fourth floor and retail and office tenants to the first floor. Strittmatter said there has been some interest in the spaces but no signed deals as of yet.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

On the way to the Boston and Doobie Brothers concert we stop and eat at the mellow mushroom on canopy Street. The place had a cool fun vibe to it the food was decent but most of all they had a really good beer selection.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

The more this area grows and matures the more amazing it gets. Des Moines' arena area has very little in the immediate area. They need to visit Lincoln & see how it's done right. Cuming Street should have developed like this.

Nice job Lincoln! Well done.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

NovakOmaha wrote:The more this area grows and matures the more amazing it gets.  Des Moines' arena area has very little in the immediate area.  They need to visit Lincoln & see how it's done right.  Cuming Street should have developed like this.  

Nice job Lincoln!  Well done.
I read on the des moines forum all the time how they hate that nothing has been developed by the Wells Fargo Arena. It has been open nearly 10 years and nothing has been built next to it. They still haven't even finalized the details for the convention center hotel that is supposed to built next to the arena.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Went to the Katy Perry concert on Wednesday night. Super impressed with this whole development.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Holy |expletive|! This area was out of control after the game Saturday night. Where did all these people go before this area opened. The crowds of people were insane!

Luckily we were just cutting through and didn't have to deal with that mess!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Brad wrote:Holy |expletive|!  This area was out of control after the game Saturday night.  Where did all these people go before this area opened.  The crowds of people were insane!

This begs the question. How is the rest of downtown doing? Before this people went to downtown bars & restaurants if they stayed in the area. Is Mistys still open & if so how are they doing on game days?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Brad wrote:Holy |expletive|!  This area was out of control after the game Saturday night.  Where did all these people go before this area opened.  The crowds of people were insane!

This begs the question.  How is the rest of downtown doing?  Before this people went to downtown bars & restaurants if they stayed in the area.  Is Mistys still open & if so how are they doing on game days?
I'm not sure about Misty's, have never liked that place, but the rest of DTL bars are still doing awesome on gamedays. This development hasn't taken away much business at all it just seems like there are way more people downtown now.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Linkin5 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:

This begs the question.  How is the rest of downtown doing?  Before this people went to downtown bars & restaurants if they stayed in the area.  Is Mistys still open & if so how are they doing on game days?
I'm not sure about Misty's, have never liked that place, but the rest of DTL bars are still doing awesome on gamedays.  This development hasn't taken away much business at all it just seems like there are way more people downtown now.
When I was a student at UNL(76-80) it was amazing how fast the stadium cleared out. It also seemed that most of the fans got in their cars & went home, mostly to Omaha.

Maybe now they stay and spend some coin in Lincoln.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The bars do great. I spent the night in Lincoln Saturday and both the Haymarket and the ones on O street were packed.

I went there during the 80's and the bars were packed then, before and after games. Obviously you've got 90k now going to games, where then it was mid 70's. In addition to the extra stadium capacity, now you've got thousands of people that descend on Lincoln that never even go to the games. They tailgate and hit the bars. We were trying to come up with that number. It's in the thousands. I'd bet 10's of thousands.

People are dropping significant coin in Lincoln on gamedays.

Greg
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Wow... Those photos are so idyllic they almost look like renderings.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Garrett wrote:Wow... Those photos are so idyllic they almost look like renderings.
Agreed. I really, really like those shots.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They did such a great job with that space getting year 'round activity.

Greg
OmahaLinc
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OmahaLinc »

Stubbled upon this rendering - looks like what WRK might be proposing to fill in Canopy street. If you look closely, you can see a brick building south of the new Olsson and Associates headquarters.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Are you saying the common area where the video board and ice rink is in the winter?

Greg
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

No this would be catty corner to the SW from the railyard.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

NovakOmaha wrote:

This begs the question. How is the rest of downtown doing? Before this people went to downtown bars & restaurants if they stayed in the area. Is Mistys still open & if so how are they doing on game days?

I would say very well...

Hungry? Here's your Big Ten school's top game-day restaurant

NEBRASKA

Misty’s Address: 6235 Havelock Ave., Lincoln, NE 68507
Twitter: @MistysLincolnNE What they said: “It’s a Lincoln staple. Great prime rib. And Fridays before games they usually have cheerleaders and the band making appearances.” – Kelly Mosier (@kmosier4)
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I stayed in the Haymarket Friday night for the UNL graduation Saturday a.m. I was very impressed with what has been accomplished with all of the development around the new Pinnacle Bank Arena. It is a great example of the right way to re-purpose the old buildings, add new in-fill buildings, and even entirely new blocks, to create a seamless, lively mixed-use district. Lincoln should be very proud of what they have now. I hope Omaha's Capitol district and North Downtown can be developed as successfully. Went to Lazlo's Friday night and Misty's Saturday for lunch. We walked everywhere and didn't need the car from the time we arrived until we left Lincoln in the afternoon. :) 10 & 11th street are still somewhat of a barrier between the Haymarket and the rest of downtown, but I got the sense that the whole downtown is thriving. The one thing that felt out of place in the Haymarket was the "old" 60s-70s era post office. Hopefully that will move out eventually, so the area directly east of the Pinnacle can be developed further.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A few pics from where I watched the game today:

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Absolutely love that area. That and Power and Light are just two great outdoor areas.

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Makes me excited for Lot B.
15-17, 26, 32
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Coyote wrote:A few pics from where I watched the game today:

I was there for the end of the game Saturday and a while after. It was a fantastic environment.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:I was there for the end of the game Saturday and a while after. It was a fantastic environment.
You should have said Hi. I was there until 6 taking pictures of the Railyard and the Haymarket...
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Watching the Derby...
ImageWatching the Derby on the big screen by Joe, on Flickr