Lincoln Children's Zoo

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Candleshoe
Human Relations

Lincoln Children's Zoo

Post by Candleshoe »

The Lincoln Children's Zoo is set to be featured on "NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams" at 5:30 p.m. Thursday.

An NBC crew and Chief Environmental Correspondent Anne Thompson were in Lincoln recently to shoot a story about photographer Joel Sartore's Biodiversity Project. Sartore photographs rare species of animals with the hope of bringing awareness to their endangered status and allow future generations to enjoy them.
Read more: http://journalstar.com/news/local/linco ... z1oUnUaA1e
Linkin5
County Board

Re: Lincoln Children's Zoo to be featured on NBC Nightly News

Post by Linkin5 »

Ambitious expansion project set to bring giraffes, tigers to Children's Zoo
* There will be a new hub area inside the zoo featuring an ankle-deep, man-made stream.

* There will be a new covered amphitheater that overlooks the giraffe habitat -- a space where zookeepers will also be able to put on educational demonstrations featuring many of the animals at the Children’s Zoo. Along with the amphitheater, there will be a canopy which zoo visitors can climb to feed the giraffes -- and take selfies. Only one zoo in the country currently offers a giraffe-feeding experience that encompasses both indoor and outdoor areas -- the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs.

* The tiger habitat will house a critically endangered species, most likely either Sumatran or Malayan tigers. The habitat will include a small pond and unique experiences for visitors. Zookeepers will do daily behavioral training sessions with the tigers while guests look on. Elsewhere in the habitat, a safari-style Jeep will be parked half in the tiger’s lair, half in the visitors’ area, and divided by a wall of protective glass that will allow for a safe, unique photo opportunity. (The tigers will be drawn to the Jeep, by the way, by cool air.)

http://journalstar.com/news/local/ambit ... 5b7c1.html
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I figured Children's Zoo would have a pretty big project planned when they acquired the additional 10 acres a couple years back, all in all it looks good.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

This looks great.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Lincoln Children's Zoo

Post by skinzfan23 »

Funny how similar it looks to all the recent new additions to Omaha's zoo. Granted, I think Henry Doorly is a great zoo to model after.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Funny how similar it looks to all the recent new additions to Omaha's zoo. Granted, I think Henry Doorly is a great zoo to model after.
As they say... "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
Steve
Home Owners Association

Post by Steve »

skinzfan23 wrote:Funny how similar it looks to all the recent new additions to Omaha's zoo. Granted, I think Henry Doorly is a great zoo to model after.
There's really no comparison between the Omaha Zoo and the Lincoln Zoo. I don't understand the recent OWH article that seemed to indicate there's some kind of competition between the two. There was a sidebar in the article that listed attendance and acreage numbers and "out of state" figures for how many people each zoo attracted. My first thought was WTH. It's apples and oranges to the nth degree. The Lincoln Zoo has never professed to "want to be" like the Omaha Zoo. The respect from John Chapo (Lincoln Zoo chief) is quite evident towards the Omaha Zoo, but the Lincoln Zoo is a children's zoo and will always be.

For someone who loves visiting Omaha and has a lot of respect for it I'm kinda like why is the zoo a big deal vs. tiny Lincoln's? Maybe I'm all wet . . .
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I did not pick up that they were pitting them against each other. I think it was more just for comparison's sake. I love that Lincoln is updating and expanding. When my kids were little they really enjoyed Lincoln's zoo. Once this is complete we will have to go back. Good combo with Morrill Hall.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Steve wrote:
There's really no comparison between the Omaha Zoo and the Lincoln Zoo. I don't understand the recent OWH article that seemed to indicate there's some kind of competition between the two. There was a sidebar in the article that listed attendance and acreage numbers and "out of state" figures for how many people each zoo attracted. My first thought was WTH. It's apples and oranges to the nth degree. The Lincoln Zoo has never professed to "want to be" like the Omaha Zoo. The respect from John Chapo (Lincoln Zoo chief) is quite evident towards the Omaha Zoo, but the Lincoln Zoo is a children's zoo and will always be.

For someone who loves visiting Omaha and has a lot of respect for it I'm kinda like why is the zoo a big deal vs. tiny Lincoln's? Maybe I'm all wet . . .

I don't think there was a comparison for competition's sake, most people in the area who read the OWH might only have the Henry Doorly as a frame of reference, thus a comparison to increase familiarity.

Lincoln's zoo meets the needs of its community, and it's good to see it being modernized.
No posts exist for this topic
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

I would say you are correct that the HDZ and the LCZ are not direct competitors, but I do think that the recent developments at the Doorly have spurred the Childerens Zoo to move forward. Many aspects of the new HDZ Adventure Education area are being implemented in Lincoln (I.e. major education building, giraffe feeding station, wading/water features, etc.). A lttle "competition" can be good.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

At the Lincoln Children's Zoo. Watch now: Mosi, a three-week-old giraffe

Meet Mosi, a three-week-old female giraffe, at Lincoln Children's Zoo.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Lincoln Children's Zoo announces birth of twin red pandas

See the adorable twin red pandas born at the Lincoln Children's Zoo!