NCAA Tournament in Lincoln

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

NCAA Tournament in Lincoln

Post by Omahanerd »

How long do you think it will be until Lincoln will get an opening round of the NCAA tournament with the new arena? How far in advance are the future sites already planned?
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: NCAA Tournament in Lincoln

Post by iamjacobm »

Omahanerd wrote:How long do you think it will be until Lincoln will get an opening round of the NCAA tournament with the new arena? How far in advance are the future sites already planned?
In theory the first possible year would be 2014, that hasn't been announced yet.  I wouldn't hold out hope to see it in Lincoln until 2016 at the earliest though.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Lincoln arena to small to host a regional. I know the Wells Fargo Center in Des Moines is too small to host and I know the Lincoln arena is smaller than that. Plus I don't believe there are enough hotels in the area to accomodate the NCAA.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

cp jay 07 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Lincoln arena to small to host a regional. I know the Wells Fargo Center in Des Moines is too small to host and I know the Lincoln arena is smaller than that. Plus I don't believe there are enough hotels in the area to accomodate the NCAA.
Lincoln will hold 16K there was a round 2-3 site this year that held around 15,500.  There are also 3 hotels either u/c or in the works right now.

It would be the smallest city to host in a while though and if I had to put odds on it I don't think they will ever host one.  I wouldn't be shocked to see it there though.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I don't think you'll be seeing one as even a possibility until '16, and even then it's a toss up. Lincoln HAS hosted one before at the Devaney a while ago, but times have changed quite a bit with attendance demands, and does not have enough in place to be as much of a draw. I would say, though, that a women's tourney first few rounds might be more possible?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:I don't think you'll be seeing one as even a possibility until '16, and even then it's a toss up. Lincoln HAS hosted one before at the Devaney a while ago, but times have changed quite a bit with attendance demands, and does not have enough in place to be as much of a draw. I would say, though, that a women's tourney first few rounds might be more possible?
The likes of Fresno and Des Moines hosted Women's regionals this year.  That would be a good possibility.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

They hosted in 1988 and Kansas played their opening games there and went on to win the title playing in Kansas City beating Oklahoma.  I was at all the games in Lincoln.  Murray State just about pulled the upset over Kansas in the second round.  It was an interesting crowed.  The non KU fans were pulling for Murray St for most of the game.  Most of those fans being from Lincoln and realizing that a Conf member was about to get beat switch who they were pulling for as the game came down to the final minutes.  It was a strange turn and I will never forget it.  Murray St when from being the fan favorite to having most of the crowed against them in short order and it was odd.

the8 wrote:I don't think you'll be seeing one as even a possibility until '16, and even then it's a toss up. Lincoln HAS hosted one before at the Devaney a while ago, but times have changed quite a bit with attendance demands, and does not have enough in place to be as much of a draw. I would say, though, that a women's tourney first few rounds might be more possible?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Lincoln won't be hosting a men's basketball regional anytime soon.  It's not the Devaney Center or the new Pinnacle Bank Arena...it's the lack of hotels with full-service restaurants.  The NCAA requires eight in town to service each team, and Lincoln falls short on that measure.

And with the success the NCAA has had in Omaha, I don't see them going to Lincoln at anytime.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Pinnacle Bank Arena to host NCAA women's hoops regional in March
DARNELL DICKSON: Lincoln Journal Star wrote:The NCAA released its list of sites for the 2014 tournament and Lincoln -- along with Louisville, Notre Dame and Stanford -- will host a regional on March 29 and 31 or March 30 and April 1.
Steve
Home Owners Association

Post by Steve »

Coyote wrote:Pinnacle Bank Arena to host NCAA women's hoops regional in March
DARNELL DICKSON: Lincoln Journal Star wrote:The NCAA released its list of sites for the 2014 tournament and Lincoln -- along with Louisville, Notre Dame and Stanford -- will host a regional on March 29 and 31 or March 30 and April 1.
The Hyatt Place Hotel south of Hiro 88 is supposed to be opened in February 2014.  Perhaps this news will ensure it happens.

I know I'll enjoy getting tickets for the regional.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

I just hope they let the general public buy some tickets and not just Husker fans, remember this is a CITY arena not a Husker arena.  :;):
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cp jay 07 wrote:I just hope they let the general public buy some tickets and not just Husker fans, remember this is a CITY arena not a Husker arena.  :;):

So Do I , as should have been done "elsewhere"
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

nebugeater wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:I just hope they let the general public buy some tickets and not just Husker fans, remember this is a CITY arena not a Husker arena.  :;):

You talking about all the Temple fans buying all the good seats in Philly last year?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

cp jay 07 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

You talking about all the Temple fans buying all the good seats in Philly last year?
Those Owl fans are the worst :).