Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Knobbe
New to the Neighborhood

3rd Annual Lincoln Tecmo Super Bowl Tourney - Jan 19th 2013

Post by Knobbe »

You can register here

What: Tecmobowl.org Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament
Where: Lincoln, Nebraska @ Luckies Lounge - http://www.luckieslounge.com/ - Near the Lincoln Airport, the bar is part of the Travel Lodge behind the McDonalds - 1101 West Bond Street Lincoln, NE
When: Saturday, Jan 19th, 2013 - Tournament Check-in between 11-11:45am, game play to start at 11:45 am
How much does it cost? - $20. Pay at the event. There is an ATM if you're the guy who never has cash.
Tournament Limit - Tourney will be capped at 64 players
Is there a payout? - Payout will be for the top 4 finishers based on the number of people that show up at the event. I'm working on a belt/trophy for this year. Also there will be a raffle for some items from the Tecmo Store so even if you don't end up in the top 4 you can walk away with swag.
Will there be food? - This also happens to be one of the best BBQ joints in Lincoln. Additionally we're working on drink specials that I will announce when I know them.
Accomdations? - There is a hotel connected to Luckies, Travel Lodge - (402) 475-4971 Their website currently seems jacked and wouldn't show me there is a room open..for JANUARY! Called in and they quoted me $59. Also if you mention Luckies Lounge you should be able to get them to discount the room $10

Probably will live stream the event as well.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Might want to give a description of what exactly a Tecmo Super Bowl is, unless I'm the only one who doesn't know.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

S33 wrote:Might want to give a description of what exactly a Tecmo Super Bowl is, unless I'm the only one who doesn't know.
Tecmo was an old video came maker. I remember playing this extremely primitive football game when I was younger.

More from Wikipedia:
Tecmo Super Bowl is an American football video game for the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) that was released in 1991. Developed by Japanese video game company Tecmo, it was the first sports video game that had licensing privileges with both the league it sought to emulate (National Football League) and the player's association (National Football League Players Association), thus allowing the game to use both the names and attributes of real NFL teams and real NFL players. (Prior games used the real teams or the real players, but not both simultaneously.) Although the game was released in late 1991, all team rosters and player attributes were based on the prior 1990-91 NFL season, which means no rookies drafted in 1991, prior to the beginning of the 1991-1992 season, were added to the game.

The original game utilized the 1991-1992 NFL schedule only; therefore, playing multiple seasons with alternate schedules was not possible. The game was very successful in the final years of the NES[1] and, although more than 20 years old, it has maintained an extensive cult following.
Knobbe
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Knobbe »

S33 wrote:Might want to give a description of what exactly a Tecmo Super Bowl is, unless I'm the only one who doesn't know.
Paperstacks had a good description of the game itself.  Quite frankly, if you're not familiar you won't really be interested in going though there are lots of people that just show up to watch.

Here is an article from the Journal Star about the event - http://journalstar.com/entertainment/sm ... e7291.html
Tecmobowl.org, the world's largest Tecmo Super Bowl fansite - operated out of Lincoln, NE
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I remember playing this extremely primitive football game when I was younger.
Got nothing on this:

Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big E wrote:Got nothing on this:

Man, I loved that game!