I-80/I-180 Interchange

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

I-80/I-180 Interchange

Post by mrsticka »

If you've gone through the I-80/I-180 interchange, like I have many times, then you might know what I'm talking about.  Westbound I-80 has a collector/distributor lane there, but eastbound I-80 does not.  How come?  Is there not as much traffic on eastbound I-80 to justify a collector/distributor lane?
Brad
City Council

Re: I-80/I-180 Interchange

Post by Brad »

mrsticka wrote:If you've gone through the I-80/I-180 interchange, like I have many times, then you might know what I'm talking about.  Westbound I-80 has a collector/distributor lane there, but eastbound I-80 does not.  How come?  Is there not as much traffic on eastbound I-80 to justify a collector/distributor lane?
Just guessing...

As far as I know  collector/distributor lanes are to keep traffic from backing up on the actual interstate.  There are probably 10 or 20 times as many people going out of Lincoln towards the East (Omaha, Gretna, Ashland, Etc) than there are going out of Lincoln towards the West (Crete, Pleasant Dale, York, GI, Etc).  So if you are taking I180 to go east, by the time you get on the Northbound to Eastbound Ramp, you just hit the interstate and go so it would never really back up.  However when all those people are heading in to Lincoln and they are going west on I180, they slow way down on that Clover Leaf ramp and it can back up traffic, so the C/D gives them more room and separation from the regular lanes of WB I80.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

In a way, the I-80/I-180 interchange reminds me of the I-80/L Street interchange.  They're both cloverleaves, except now L Street has a traffic light at it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

$12.5B Nebraska roadmap: I-80 six lanes west of Lincoln, South Beltway
The next segment of the interstate slated for expansion to six lanes is a 17-mile stretch between Lincoln and Seward.
The director also mentioned Lincoln's $300 million South Beltway, which has been working its way up the priority chain and has been getting close to reality.

"We are committed. We're going to finally build the Lincoln South Beltway," he said.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Coyote wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:09 pm $12.5B Nebraska roadmap: I-80 six lanes west of Lincoln, South Beltway
The next segment of the interstate slated for expansion to six lanes is a 17-mile stretch between Lincoln and Seward.
The director also mentioned Lincoln's $300 million South Beltway, which has been working its way up the priority chain and has been getting close to reality.

"We are committed. We're going to finally build the Lincoln South Beltway," he said.
When I first moved here, I remember the construction between Omaha and Lincoln took years. Guess I better get used to it between Lincoln and Grand Island. :shock:
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I still don’t believe this is necessary. As infrastructure costs increase and paying for it all becomes more difficult, is it really the best idea to add more infrastructure with questionable value.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If there were ever a boondoggle it would be an 80 expansion west of Lincoln to GI. What a waste.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

I'm sure Seward to Lincoln is really in need of more lanes :roll:
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

iamjacobm wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 am If there were ever a boondoggle it would be an 80 expansion west of Lincoln to GI. What a waste.
What astonishes me is Nebraska's blatant disregard for public safety illustrated by the lack of simple features like guardrails on entrance/exit ramps that have steep drop offs on one side or the other, and yet they'll waste money on unnecessary stuff like this.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Louie wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:34 pm I'm sure Seward to Lincoln is really in need of more lanes :roll:
Anecdotal based on my Interstate travels: Eastbound Seward to Lincoln for sure, but not so much Westbound. At least for the time being.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

They need to build that beltway, and thank goodness they finally are. It takes 20-30 minutes to get from I-80 down to those south suburbs (if not longer).
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 am If there were ever a boondoggle it would be an 80 expansion west of Lincoln to GI. What a waste.
They could make it illegal to drive in the left land and eliminate the need for a 3rd lane west of Seward... I hate all the left lane drivers in this state!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

ricko wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:00 pm
What astonishes me is Nebraska's blatant disregard for public safety illustrated by the lack of simple features like guardrails on entrance/exit ramps that have steep drop offs on one side or the other, and yet they'll waste money on unnecessary stuff like this.
I read somewhere an NDOR (at the time) rep say that they don’t worry about guardrails too much in some places given the generous amount of spacing in the medians and such between the traffic heading in the opposite direction. Talk about government waste...
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

As someone who used to (until just last year) travel I-80 between Kearney and Omaha several times a month, I will toss my opinion into the mix here that I-80 definitely should be widened between west Lincoln and Seward, and probably between Seward and York. Beyond York I don’t think the traffic numbers would support the widening. It’s not just the raw traffic numbers that might support the widening, its the type of vehicles that travel that stretch. A huge percentage are 18-wheelers. There are times of day where the traffic volume resembles that of I-680 in Omaha, but 680 has relatively few semi trailer trucks transversing it, compared with I-80.

Here’s a fact of life: Urban dwellers subsidize rural highway construction, and not the other way around. Nebraska being such an overwhelmingly rural state, geographically speaking, there are many thousands of miles of rural highways serving collectively maybe half a million people, versus a few hundred miles located in metropolitan areas where everyone else lives. That’s the way life is. The funny thing is that people living in Scottsbluff or Valentine think that their tax dollars pour into Omaha for freeway construction when that is anything but the truth.