14th And Superior Roundabout

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Do you think it should be changed back into a traditional intersection with traffic lights?

Yes
7%
No
60%
Not Sure
7%
Don't Care
27%

Total votes: 15

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

14th And Superior Roundabout

Post by mrsticka »

What do you think?  Like it or hate it?
Steve
Home Owners Association

Post by Steve »

Sometimes I rather enjoy looking through the accident reports on the city of Lincoln website and read about the pure stupidity of some drivers at the 14th and Superior location. Comments from the at-fault drivers are typical of the statement "you can't make that up." Are there more accidents than previously?  Certainly.  Are they minor in comparison?  Yes indeed.  At the least it has prevented the usual red-light runners that are so common in Lincoln from t-boning and severely injuring an innocent party.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Multi-lane roundabouts can cause some confusion for people new to them, but they aren't that difficult to get used to. As a short person who sometimes can't see around cars when trying to make turns at traditional intersections, I wish that roundabouts were used more.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I just want to say for the record that I'm not entirely opposed to roundabouts.  I just don't think 14th and Superior should be one.  I think there are intersections in Lincoln that would be better choices for roundabouts such as 10th/11th/Sun Valley or maybe 27th and Arbor (a double roundabout like what 42nd and Q in Omaha will be turned into).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I have never been to that particular intersection, but I have never seen a roundabout that I didn't like.  They are so much better for traffic flow.  I was in Aspen 3 weeks ago and there is a roundabout on a major highway and the traffic moved perfectly.  A couple years ago I was out in Cape Cod and there were several out there on the main roads and they all worked great too.

The problem is usually clueless and bad drivers...

Here is something I came across tonight.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/07/myth ... poll/?icid
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

You ain't missing nothing, Braddy.  Trust me.