The Street Signs In Lincoln...

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

The Street Signs In Lincoln...

Post by mrsticka »

The street signs here in Lincoln on main streets are somewhat odd. The street sign on the top (for the cross street) is bigger than the one on the bottom, the sign for the main street.

They've been like this since the mid-to-late 90's. Anyone else find it strange?
Steve
Home Owners Association

Re: The Street Signs In Lincoln...

Post by Steve »

mrsticka wrote:The street signs here in Lincoln on main streets are somewhat odd.  The street sign on the top (for the cross street) is bigger than the one on the bottom, the sign for the main street.

They've been like this since the mid-to-late 90's.  Anyone else find it strange?

Personally, it makes sense to me. Say you're driving down 27th street at the speed limit (35+ mph) and you're not sure which side-street is next. The larger signs make it easier to see the cross street coming up. Rather, for example, if you're driving down a cross street (25 mph) you usually have to slow down, stop or yield at the "main" street. It can be smaller since your speed is slower. (I would hope if you're *on* the main street you don't need to have a large sign telling you which street you're on!) Just my opinion.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Re: The Street Signs In Lincoln...

Post by mrsticka »

Hmm... I never thought of it that way.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I went onto Street View using Google Maps and made some slight edits to a couple of street signs. I made these just for fun.

SW 15th and A:

37th and A: