Chamber's filibuster is killed

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Chamber's filibuster is killed

Post by Coyote »

Prairie dog bill gets past filibuster

LB673 continues - prairie dogs to be leashed.

Hopefully Chambers won't go on a rampage against their bills.
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Re: Chamber's filibuster is killed

Post by GoWest »

Coyote wrote: Hopefully Chambers won't go on a rampage against their bills.
Who's bills?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GoWest wrote:Who's bills?
Don't know who he was threatening
LJS wrote:..."Cloture, they may ask today; tomorrow, they'll be daunted," Chambers said, referring to the 33 votes needed to end a filibuster and force a vote and reading from a poem he penned. "They'll have what they asked for n but it won't be what they wanted. When they cross that fateful line which cannot be uncrossed, they, perhaps, may win a little, while a lot is lost."

Senators crossed it anyway, showing an apparent willingness to possibly jeopardize their own bills by voting for the filibuster. Chambers is a powerful force in the Legislature, making the cloture vote an indication of how the prairie dog is more than furry, cute critter to many...
Right now he is debating against LR 8CA - calling fellow senators 'ignorant' on many occasions.
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

Coyote wrote:
GoWest wrote:Who's bills?
Don't know who he was threatening
LJS wrote:..."Cloture, they may ask today; tomorrow, they'll be daunted," Chambers said, referring to the 33 votes needed to end a filibuster and force a vote and reading from a poem he penned. "They'll have what they asked for n but it won't be what they wanted. When they cross that fateful line which cannot be uncrossed, they, perhaps, may win a little, while a lot is lost."

Senators crossed it anyway, showing an apparent willingness to possibly jeopardize their own bills by voting for the filibuster. Chambers is a powerful force in the Legislature, making the cloture vote an indication of how the prairie dog is more than furry, cute critter to many...
Right now he is debating against LR 8CA - calling fellow senators 'ignorant' on many occasions.

I was just wondering if there was a specific Senator's bill or bills he was threatening.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

From what appears all the following bills that are due next. He said that they crossed the line and he will be there for however long he can with Floor Admendments FA32-69 all needing debate time that he will use. He is now wanting walking protected by the constitution - I think later there is one about bird watching.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Ah, Ernie, Defender of the Downtrodden. I kinda miss roaming the halls of the Capitol and seeing him now and then.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I watched him on webcam this afternoon - he is on a crusade for constitutional integrity. He will introduce FA's all day tomorrow as frivolous amendments to the constitution to prove a point that LR 8CA is a frivolous addition. He seemed really upset that the Legislature voted cloture to LB 673 and taunted that they hadn't the votes to stop him now.

While I was away in 2000 the state voted to limit terms to 2 4-year terms. I read that terms wouldn't be affected until 2006 - does this mean that after 34 years Chamber's term is up next year? Just wondering
OmahaRules
Library Board

Post by OmahaRules »

I see Chambers at the Cal's on 370 between 25th and 36th all the time I wonder why? I thought he lived north? ANyway I say hi to him and he never responds with anything more than a "hello". Not a very polite guy but I guess he doesn't want to talk much while filling up on gas.
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

Coyote wrote: While I was away in 2000 the state voted to limit terms to 2 4-year terms. I read that terms wouldn't be affected until 2006 - does this mean that after 34 years Chamber's term is up next year? Just wondering
Of course this is only my own expressed opinion, but I think term limits was a way for whites (Senators and other) to vote Senator Chambers out of office when north Omaha wouldn’t. I did not support the enacting of term limits for this exact reason. He was a very good representative for north O. I didn’t agree with him a lot of the time, but he did a lot of good that goes unnoticed because of his controversial nature.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I tend to like Chambers just because he can be such a punk! :P Though I think he'll be against the 3am last call bill, which I am strongly for.

What's the status on that bill anyway?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The Republican Party asked me if I would be interested in running for Chambers' seat when his term runs out. I told them no. At least not now.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well DTO you have 4 more years to think about it.
His term is up in 2009 - that is if they don't change the term limits again.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

State Supreme Court Upholds Term Limits
KETV wrote:The court ruled on Friday that those who filed the lawsuit failed to prove that the state's term limit amendment significantly interfered with their First Amendment rights of expression.