104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8773
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby iamjacobm » Wed May 27, 2015 8:24 pm

Sounds like there is a big push to get the issue on a public ballot, it will almost certainly be reinstated if that happens.

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby Omababe » Thu May 28, 2015 6:43 am

Looks like Nebraska has joined the more civilized states -- on this issue, that is.

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby Garrett » Thu May 28, 2015 12:07 pm

Veto round 3 begins....
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20399
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby Coyote » Thu May 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Dreamers veto over ridden
Image

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8773
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby iamjacobm » Thu May 28, 2015 12:45 pm

I think Ricketts is using the govenors office to boost his political profile to move up the republican ladder. He will veto every bill that could come back to bite him in a larger race later down the road. Give me a leader like Stohert over him anyday.

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby GetUrban » Thu May 28, 2015 12:54 pm

iamjacobm wrote:Sounds like there is a big push to get the issue on a public ballot, it will almost certainly be reinstated if that happens.


True, but even if that does happen it will remain ineffective due to the appeals process and, even if that was streamlined, the fact is it doesn't work as a deterrent to people committing murder. Just look at Texas...over 500 executions carried out since 1975 and there are still over 300 on death row with more being added every year.

I rather see an alternative such as life in solitary confinement without a chance of parole, cutting off all contact with the outside world. That seems more of a deterrent, since most murderers are already suicidal anyway.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby Garrett » Thu May 28, 2015 1:31 pm

Personally I prefer the Norwegian prison model. Don't treat people like animals, treat them like humans:
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby GetUrban » Thu May 28, 2015 10:11 pm

Garrett wrote:Personally I prefer the Norwegian prison model. Don't treat people like animals, treat them like humans:
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12


It would be great if that would work here, but our cultures are just too different with a much more complex and less homogeneous mix of people here in this country trying to fend for themselves or get along. Also, sometimes it would be nice if people didn't treat animals like animals.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby Garrett » Fri May 29, 2015 12:29 am

GetUrban wrote:
Garrett wrote:Personally I prefer the Norwegian prison model. Don't treat people like animals, treat them like humans:
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12


It would be great if that would work here, but our cultures are just too different with a much more complex and less homogeneous mix of people here in this country trying to fend for themselves or get along. Also, sometimes it would be nice if people didn't treat animals like animals.

I also think it's abundantly clear that our system as is isn't working in the slightest. Incarcerating more people than any other country on earth is clearly a problem, and a return rate of almost 80% is one too. This isn't a cultural issue: this is an issue with the psychology and design of our prisons.
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3806
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby Linkin5 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:09 am

Garrett wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
Garrett wrote:Personally I prefer the Norwegian prison model. Don't treat people like animals, treat them like humans:
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12


It would be great if that would work here, but our cultures are just too different with a much more complex and less homogeneous mix of people here in this country trying to fend for themselves or get along. Also, sometimes it would be nice if people didn't treat animals like animals.

I also think it's abundantly clear that our system as is isn't working in the slightest. Incarcerating more people than any other country on earth is clearly a problem, and a return rate of almost 80% is one too. This isn't a cultural issue: this is an issue with the psychology and design of our prisons.


I can assure you the design of prisons is not the catalyst for incarceration rates in the US (seriously?). The problem is sentencing non-violent drug offenders to ridiculous prison terms. If this was cleared up as well as stopping to contract third parties to build and run prisons, a huge difference would be seen.

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby GetUrban » Fri May 29, 2015 9:26 am

I would argue that cultural differences are the main reason our prisons are so different than Norway's. Don't want to open a can of worms, but here in this country having a gun and using it is seen as a solution to all of our problems relating to crime. Even the most trivial disagreements can quickly escalate into a life or death situation. I don't think that is the case in Norway, is it?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2745
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby RNcyanide » Fri May 29, 2015 12:28 pm

GetUrban wrote:I would argue that cultural differences are the main reason our prisons are so different than Norway's. Don't want to open a can of worms, but here in this country having a gun and using it is seen as a solution to all of our problems relating to crime. Even the most trivial disagreements can quickly escalate into a life or death situation. I don't think that is the case in Norway, is it?


Access to guns and/or ammunition may also play a part in that aspect.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3806
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby Linkin5 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:48 pm

RNcyanide wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I would argue that cultural differences are the main reason our prisons are so different than Norway's. Don't want to open a can of worms, but here in this country having a gun and using it is seen as a solution to all of our problems relating to crime. Even the most trivial disagreements can quickly escalate into a life or death situation. I don't think that is the case in Norway, is it?


Access to guns and/or ammunition may also play a part in that aspect.


Not so much, there are other countries with easy access to firearms that do not use them to kill people like the US. We have created a very strange culture where it has become the norm with some people to resort to guns rather than anything else.

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby jessep28 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:50 pm

In addition to culling non-violent offenders in the prison ranks, I honestly think that money would be better spent educating inmates, whether it be through a community college program, or whatever. Educated inmates have far lower recidivism rates. Maybe tie good time to education goals. The only issue with turning prisoners into skilled laborers is that nobody wants to hire ex-convicts.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2745
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby RNcyanide » Fri May 29, 2015 2:11 pm

It'd be political suicide to try to ameliorate the inmate's condition. You saw how downright nasty and pathetic Lee Terry's attempts to smear Brad Ashford were with the whole prison term snafu, which wasn't really even his fault to begin with. Just imagine how that would get spun. The whole idea is to maintain an image of 'being tough on crime' and any attempt to actually help inmates who would do better outside the system would get you labelled as reckless or dangerous for families or whatever.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Fri May 29, 2015 3:38 pm

iamjacobm wrote:I think Ricketts is using the govenors office to boost his political profile to move up the republican ladder. He will veto every bill that could come back to bite him in a larger race later down the road. Give me a leader like Stohert over him anyday.


I think he is showing his inexperiance out here in the real world. Everytime he lets the legislature override his veto it cheapens it. Now the legislature has over ridden him twice in his first year of office. It becomes much easier now to override his veto since the bridge has already been crossed twice. He needed to choose and pick his battles more carefully. If you know you are going to loose a battle no matter what then you have nothing to gain by pushing it to the point you lose. A better way to go would of been to have said "Hey I dont like giving the illegal aliens drivers licenses but I dont have the support in the legislature to stop it." You dont need to actually prove you dont have the support by letting the legislature override your veto. :what:

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1686
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby HR Paperstacks » Fri May 29, 2015 4:51 pm

He's actually been overridden three times this session - the gas tax, the death penalty and the driver's licenses for DREAMERS. It really does make him look like a weak governor (which doesn't surprise me). His whiny attitude doesn't make him look any better either.

nativeomahan
Planning Board
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby nativeomahan » Fri May 29, 2015 8:44 pm

Ricketts has proven surprisingly inept so far in his dealings with the Unicameral. His supporters can't be happy at his performance. But his detractors must be turning cartwheels.

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3806
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby Linkin5 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:50 pm

HR Paperstacks wrote:He's actually been overridden three times this session - the gas tax, the death penalty and the driver's licenses for DREAMERS. It really does make him look like a weak governor (which doesn't surprise me). His whiny attitude doesn't make him look any better either.


He seems like a little kid that is stomping his feet and saying no to everything he can, and in the process looks like a moron

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 3027
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby Uffda » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:39 am

Nebraska's Governor Threatens to Execute Prisoners Out of Spite
After his state abolishes the death penalty, Governor Pete Ricketts vows to apply it to the ten inmates still on death row.


http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... te/394949/

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby GetUrban » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:01 pm

This could have a negative effect on economic development and whether a company or people want to locate in Nebraska...one of the things Rickets was supposed to champion. But that is secondary to the death penalty question, as it should be.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4551
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby S33 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:39 pm

I'm not a huge proponent or opponent of the death penalty, and I'm also on the fence (well I am now) with governor Ricketts.

But, vowing to execute up to ten prisoners currently sitting on death row simply out of a spiteful stubbornness from, what I presume, is a billionaires mentality they achieve from always getting what they want, just seems like a really |expletive| up way to govern a state.

Maybe it's just me, but this seems like his way of playing "God".
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby MadMartin8 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:59 am

Uffda wrote:Nebraska's Governor Threatens to Execute Prisoners Out of Spite
After his state abolishes the death penalty, Governor Pete Ricketts vows to apply it to the ten inmates still on death row.


http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... te/394949/



The trust fund baby sure throws a temper tantrum when he loses his way.
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2745
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby RNcyanide » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:46 am

So Pete and Joe donated a total of $200,000 to the pro-death penalty cause. Is there literally nothing else in our great state of Nebraska that needs any more attention than this? Come the |expletive| on. :roll:
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

daveoma
Human Relations
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby daveoma » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:50 am

RNcyanide wrote:So Pete and Joe donated a total of $200,000 to the pro-death penalty cause. Is there literally nothing else in our great state of Nebraska that needs any more attention than this? Come the |expletive| on. :roll:

Agreed

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20399
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: 104th Nebraska Legislature (2015)

Postby Coyote » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:02 am

When Ricketts runs for the Senate he will have a proven record to show Nebraskans what he stands for...
Everyone knows his term as Governor is the beginning of his campaign for the U.S. Senate...
Image


Return to “Lincoln”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest