Fly Out Of Lincoln or Omaha?

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Fly Out Of Lincoln or Omaha?

Post by mrsticka »

I live Lincoln, but when I fly, I usually do it out of and into Omaha. Sometimes, I'll fly out of Lincoln. But most of the time, Omaha. It's cheaper.

Anyone else do that?
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: Fly Out Of Lincoln or Omaha?

Post by Omababe »

mrsticka wrote:I live Lincoln, but when I fly, I usually do it out of and into Omaha. Sometimes, I'll fly out of Lincoln. But most of the time, Omaha. It's cheaper.
We live out in the toolies by Gretna and therefore both OMA and LNK are about equally inconvenient driving-wise.

The only flights I've taken in semi-recent years from LNK were those Allegiant flights and as you know they pulled out.

I sometimes price flights out of LNK but they are always more expensive than OMA and always, from what I can see, on those tiny toy planes. At least at OMA it's big-plane little-plane roulette.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I know Lincoln serves Chicago (both O'Hare and Midway), Denver and Las Vegas. Maybe they have flights to Dallas/Ft. Worth, too? I'm not sure.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Delta is great out of Lincoln. Done it a few times. I've flown to Minneaapolis, and I think they were talking about adding another non stop. United is pretty good out of Lincoln too.

Last time we were there, there was a new hotel going up near the airport with the others. Looked nice, anybody know what brand it will be?

Greg
Steve
Home Owners Association

Post by Steve »

I've had good luck flying out of Lincoln with a recent trip to California being excellent, other than the small-sized plane to Denver. It's such a short jaunt it didn't matter. When I booked the flight months ago it was $30 more roundtrip than Omaha, so it was worth it. While checking fares over several days it varied $100 +/- so when it hit $30 I jumped on it. Living in Lincoln the short trip and wait was great and I was on the West Coast at 10 in the morning.

Many other trips, for example Las Vegas, was way more expensive, so the hour drive to the Big-O was fine. I didn't think there's a direct to Vegas anymore since G.I. has it, but I could be wrong. We had a trainer come in from Atlanta and since Lincoln now has that direct flight it's a plus. He did laugh at the airport; "smallest I've ever seen!"

I believe the new hotel at the airport is a Hampton Inn.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

mrsticka wrote:I know Lincoln serves Chicago (both O'Hare and Midway), Denver and Las Vegas. Maybe they have flights to Dallas/Ft. Worth, too? I'm not sure.
I don't think LNK has any direct flights to LAS since Allegiant pulled out.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Omababe wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I know Lincoln serves Chicago (both O'Hare and Midway), Denver and Las Vegas. Maybe they have flights to Dallas/Ft. Worth, too? I'm not sure.
Nor Midway.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

According to my friend Google the direct non stop flights out of Lincoln go to Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, and Minneapolis.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Omababe wrote:
Nor Midway.

Correct, they go to O'Hare.

Greg
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Well, I was right about O'Hare. That's such a huge airport.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I saw where Lincoln is up 23 percent over last September in passenger traffic.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:I saw where Lincoln is up 23 percent over last September in passenger traffic.

Greg

So,what did they add... 100 passengers ? :mrgreen:
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Not sure why but on occasion I receive either the Midlands Business Journal or the Lincoln Business Journal. Last week it was the LBJ. I subscribe to neither one.

There was a story about the director of the Lincoln Airport. I've got to believe that someone who has never been to Lincoln and lives outside of Nebraska would read the story and conclude that the Lincoln Airport should be renamed the Hooterville Airport. In touting his accomplishments he mentioned two: Free coffee and TV monitors in the "TWO" passenger holding areas. He said that at small airports folks tend to show up 30 minutes prior to takeoff and breeze through security on the way to the gate. The free coffee helped when the Delta Atlanta flight began and it was scheduled around the same time as the Minneapolis flight. He said 140 passengers would back up the "One" security lane. By offering free coffee he was luring passengers to arrive sooner and enjoy a free cup of coffee while waiting the extra time. Wow. 140 people trying to get through security at once? Woof. Barney Fife must have been tired.

He also said that of the new monitors at the gates one would show cnn or the weather channel and the other would show flights inbound and a graphic showing all of the planes enroute around the country. "That really is an eye-opener when people see that screen and realize that there are all those planes in the air right now." Wow. Is there really room for them all?

I'm sorry for laughing but it just hit me. Now, this guy has an impossible job. Lincoln flys to Chicago, Denver, Minneapolis and Atlanta with small jets and very little frequency. Yes, traffic is up by hundreds. He's competing with the Omaha airport with its flights to over 20 cities and about 25 airports with a ton of frequency and many flights on large jets, not regional ones. He's also competing with KCI, which is Omaha times 2 or 3 and a lot more non stops. I admire him for not throwing in the towel and giving up. Bring on the coffee & TV!

You might save an hour driving each way but if you aren't going to the four cities I mentioned, New York, for instance, you're going to connect, and that's going to eat up more than an hour.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I used to do the Lincoln airport occasionally when Allegiant was there, but not lately. I have checked schedules and prices as it's not that bad a drive from where I live and the airport is smaller and very easy to park and such.

Destinations are limited, flights are not as frequent as in Omaha, prices are usually higher, and it looks like almost all flights anymore are on those tiny toy planes which for some reason I don't really care for.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

What about New York? Does Lincoln serve that city, too? If it does, where do the flights go? LaGuardia or JFK?