Russ' Market

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

debradomayer
Library Board

Russ' Market

Post by debradomayer »

Had a conference call this morning & my counterpart who calls on the Russ Market & Super Saver's in Lincoln said that the Russ' on south 70th between A & Van Dorn is closing as is the Super Saver at 56th & Hwy 2. Unclear of the closing dates or if they are replacing. Perhaps they are closing slow performers to prepare for a sale. Rumor was a while ago that Kroger was interested
Linkin5
County Board

Re: Russ' Market

Post by Linkin5 »

There was an article I believe about the Russ's, I hadn't heard about that Super Saver though.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

For the bag your own groceries area I always liked Super Saver the best. Used to shop there while in Lincoln. They don't have any locations in NW Omaha so have not been in years.

I assume Kroger would use that to introduce Baker's to Lincoln. If memory serves the Russ's stores in Lincoln are not the best (either location or size) but maybe they could convert the Super Saver's to Baker's.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Russ's to close this store by the end of January

http://journalstar.com/business/local/r ... 3e9c2.html

Story says it is coinciding with the expansion and renovation of the nearby Russ's at 66th & O. Not close by any means so I am guessing they will lose a lot of customers to other stores.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:For the bag your own groceries area I always liked Super Saver the best. Used to shop there while in Lincoln. They don't have any locations in NW Omaha so have not been in years.

I assume Kroger would use that to introduce Baker's to Lincoln. If memory serves the Russ's stores in Lincoln are not the best (either location or size) but maybe they could convert the Super Saver's to Baker's.

Greg

I do not see Bakers taking over a Super Saver location as a way into Lincoln. They are too different in concept and location alone will not hold the customer base.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:
Greg S wrote:For the bag your own groceries area I always liked Super Saver the best. Used to shop there while in Lincoln. They don't have any locations in NW Omaha so have not been in years.

Greg

I do not see Bakers taking over a Super Saver location as a way into Lincoln. They are too different in concept and location alone will not hold the customer base.

It would be a huge remodel but the size is closer. Baker's did this with an old warehouse style store on Saddle Creek (think it was a Food4Less). The reason I singled out the Super Saver's over Russ's are because of size. Seems like the Russ's I've been to in Lincoln have a much smaller footprint than what Baker's requires (I think 70,000 square feet or so?). The Super Saver's in Lincoln are similar in size to what a Baker's store would be. Like the Russ on Highway 27th and Highway 2 compared to the nearby Super Saver.

Greg