Lincoln hopes to create mass transit system using driverless cars, vans

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Uffda
County Board

Lincoln hopes to create mass transit system using driverless cars, vans

Post by Uffda »

In the near future Lincoln could have 700 driverless vans and cars carting children to school, taking grandma to the doctor or the grocery store, bringing professors from their homes to the university.

That’s the plan if Lincoln beats out 76 other mid-sized cities to win the Smart City Challenge, and with it, $40 million from the Department of Transportation and $10 million from Vulcan Philanthropy.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/govt- ... b037e.html
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: Lincoln hopes to create mass transit system using driverless cars, vans

Post by Omababe »

Just wait until one of those driverless vehicles is involved in a fatal accident! This is a "not if but when" situation.

They will be off the road in most jurisdictions in the known universe!
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Tesla and Google seem to have the most advanced systems right now. In Nebraska Tesla is not able to open a showroom because of laws. If Google wanted to sell Lincoln self driving vehicles they would not be allowed to. Maybe they need to change that law first.

later this month I will be going to K.C. to reserve a Tesla with Auto Pilot. When I pick it up next year I plan on the car driving me home.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Omababe wrote:Just wait until one of those driverless vehicles is involved in a fatal accident! This is a "not if but when" situation.

If I recall, driverless cars rarely get into accidents. I think Google's have only ever had a handful, and all were the fault of human drivers.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Garrett wrote:
Omababe wrote:Just wait until one of those driverless vehicles is involved in a fatal accident! This is a "not if but when" situation.

If I recall, driverless cars rarely get into accidents. I think Google's have only ever had a handful, and all were the fault of human drivers.

I would suspect the sample size is way too small yet. How many miles / any time period have driverless cars spent on the road vs. driver driven cars? Guessing it is a very small percent that is dirverless thus comparisons are too soon. We do know they have not been accident free.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

nebugeater wrote:
Garrett wrote:

I would suspect the sample size is way too small yet. How many miles / any time period have driverless cars spent on the road vs. driver driven cars? Guessing it is a very small percent that is dirverless thus comparisons are too soon. We do know they have not been accident free.
1.3 million miles with only one caused? I'd say that's pretty good.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Uffda wrote:In the near future Lincoln could have 700 driverless vans and cars carting children to school, taking grandma to the doctor or the grocery store, bringing professors from their homes to the university.

That’s the plan if Lincoln beats out 76 other mid-sized cities to win the Smart City Challenge, and with it, $40 million from the Department of Transportation and $10 million from Vulcan Philanthropy.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/govt- ... b037e.html
Would LOVE to see this in Omaha. It would give us really good press.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

The comments in that article irritate me. I swear people here are never open to try new things. Its called progress and we could use some.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:The comments in that article irritate me. I swear people here are never open to try new things. Its called progress and we could use some.
AGREED :thumb: