48th & Leighton (former Hy-Vee Mainstreet)

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

48th & Leighton (former Hy-Vee Mainstreet)

Post by Coyote »

$35 million redevelopment planned for 48th and Leighton shopping center
MATT OLBERDING Lincoln Journal Star wrote:The $35 million project proposes two new buildings where a former grocery store space sits empty now. One building would be five stories and the other four. They would have 28,000 square feet of commercial space combined on the ground floors and a total of 184 market-rate apartments. The rest of the center would remain as is, and current tenants would stay.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (159.46 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: 48th & Leighton (former Hy-Vee Mainstreet)

Post by iamjacobm »

Wow cool.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

This has a ton of potential with all the Wesleyan students so close by, right down the street their is another five story mixed use project already in process as well.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Here's a recent update about this project. Costs have increased due to...you guessed it, tariffs. They say they have been hit with a 30% increase in costs, but I don't know if that is on the project overall or just the metal facade that they want to change. In any case, this is a nice project and I hope this tariffs business dies down. Based on this article and others I have seen on the effect of tariffs, they might be a reason why we haven't seen confirmation of any big projects, ie. high rises, downtown yet.

https://journalstar.com/business/local/ ... op-story-1
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Re: Leighton District (48th & Leighton Ave)

Post by ChadJK »

I stopped by here a couple of times over the last couple of months. It's mostly done (some parking lot work underway). It's home to apartments named "The Flats at Leighton District" and then several restaurants/bars like Daq Shaq, Lincoln's Pub, Franco's Fresh Mexican, Imperial Kitchen, and Domino's. Those first three restaurants/bars are all part of the same restaurant group. There's a few other things there, but memory doesn't serve.

https://leightondistrict.com/