LB 454 taken off this years agenda

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

LB 454 taken off this years agenda

Post by Coyote »

Concealed-weapons bill on hold
Omaha World Herald wrote:Although Combs is confident her bill has enough support to pass, she said it would take some time to overcome the opposition of State Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha and other lawmakers who strongly disagree with the measure.
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

Excellent!

That's all we need in this state (being sarcastic) is to have some country bumpkins running around with concealed weapons, legally, to add to our perception as a cowboy state.
sokkerdewd
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

At least they'd be in the country though. :)

I wish we did have this. Not neccisarily for my sake but I have single female family members who work in shady parts of town and I'd like for them to have a gun. Some do already but they're not supposed to.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

With very few exceptions... the people being shot in this town are asking to be shot... involved in drugs, gang activity, etc, etc.

And with very few exceptions... the only time you see guns used by 'law abiding' folks... are when their children get hold of them and accidentally shoot their neighbor friends, a spouse is killed in a domestic dispute, someone loses their head and goes on a shooting rampage.

When's the last time you heard of a home owner actually protecting themselves in their own home from an intruder... or someone on the street. Criminals aren't idiots... more often than not they're going to wait for the residence to be empty before entering it... and then guess what they steal as much as anything else? Your guns!

The best thing we could do would be to diligently work towards eliminating ALL guns... or at a very minimum handguns and assault type weapons.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I've known quite a few people who had to defend their homes from getting broke into. Just so you people in west Omaha know you wouldn't believe the amount of stuff that DOESN'T make the news. I know people all over here have them and it is a deterant and I personally know people who've had to do it. One guy I used to work with (high up in UP now) stabbed a guy when his house was broke into by four people.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

DTO... I think we need to hook you up with a reality TV producer... because you (and your day to day acquaintances) have some of the most fantastic stories of anyone I know.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Being from East Omaha I completely agree with DTO. I can tell you story after story but I really don’t want to. Just take our word for it!
I have weapons and sometimes carry them around and no one ever knew or will ever know unless.
15-17, 26, 32
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

jhuston wrote:DTO... I think we need to hook you up with a reality TV producer... because you (and your day to day acquaintances) have some of the most fantastic stories of anyone I know.
Survivor: East Omaha. I like it. :)

But in all seriousness it's not like people on this side of town can afford a home security system (why do you see 5-6 locks on old home doors?), but when you live in the places that most of you just see on the news it hits home and you want a way to defend yourself. Just the other day there was that shooting on 30th and Titus by my house and a few weeks before that was that cop getting shot in the leg. And do you know how many other things happened btwn those two news worthy events? I'd guess about 2 shootings a week just around where I live.

Plus it's been proven that having a Concealled Carry Law makes robberies go down. If I see someone trying to steal my car or brake into my house I'd like to shoot them with a legal gun and not have to worry about getting in trouble. The robbers are now trying to sue homeowners over injuries.
DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

If anyone's ever been to Germany ... THEY know home security. The house I stayed in was in a small town, perhaps 15km west of Mönchengladbach. Not exactly East Troy, Michigan. Every window had a strap alonside it, think belt, that when you pulled it a metal gate would drop from the window frame. I'm not talking bars or mall security gates, these were slats of metal which would interlock as one solid piece over the entire window area. You wouldn't even know it could be daytime when you woke up. One for each window, then in the family room the window to the backyard nearly took up the entire wall. Yep, that was a big monster of a gate. To get into that house (which wasn't a stand-alone dwelling either, it was part of a block-long condo type housing) you would need a plasma cutter or a bomb.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

F. that ill take my 500magnum over that any day..
15-17, 26, 32
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

We live in a pathetic society.

And you paint a far worse picture of living in east Omaha than any of the friends/relatives I know living there. What a difference a neighborhood makes.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Trust me it does make a big differance. Sometimes even from block to block.
DTO