Lincoln restaurants

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Steve
Home Owners Association

Lincoln restaurants

Post by Steve »

It's fairly obvious that the Lincoln restaurant scene (for the most part) is lacking, especially compared to so many wonderful Omaha area ones. Why is that? My wife and I thoroughly enjoy finding the small, quant restaurants in Omaha and I have often taken co-workers to some of those while in Omaha for business (i.e. Mother India, La Buvette, Lo Sole Mio for example) which impresses those with somewhat taste, it seems. Why does Lincoln lack any ethnic, long-term quality food spots, and seemingly attracts those who love the chain scene? I just don't get it. Is it really because of the salary differences between the two cities?

Just a conversation starter, I guess.
jlincoln
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Lincoln restaurants

Post by jlincoln »

My take is that Omaha has a much wider ethnic mix that dates back to the development of the city and railroads, etc. Omaha needed a huge workforce to build a railroad and build industries. Irish, Italian, Czech, German, etc cultures came to Omaha to work and settle. The great steakhouses &, Caniglia's,Bohemian Cafe's,etc. set the standard for what came after. Omaha has always been a great foodie town. Simply put, Lincoln is a college/government town that really only has to perform during the school season. People drive from wherever to a game and eat at a restaurant brand they know. Not necessarily Lincoln's fault, but the sports bars and college food places do well. Specialty restaurants have to try hard pretty hard. But this seems to be changing, with the popularity of the railyard and more population & tourism.