LB 557 (Nebraska Visitors Development Act) Advances

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

LB 557 (Nebraska Visitors Development Act) Advances

Post by Coyote »

Lodging tax bill sets up arena debate
Lincoln Journal Star wrote:State senators are a step closer to giving local elected officials a choice they want but that could pose a dilemma: Whether to use additional lodging tax money to expand the Lancaster Event Center or build a new arena to replace Pershing Center.
Lincoln Journal Star wrote:]They point to a decision last April to move the state wrestling tournament from Lincoln to Omaha as evidence a new arena is needed.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Expanding the Lancaster Event Center would be a very poor decision. Given Lincoln's history of emphasizing DT activites, a suburban arena project would not fit in with their master plan either.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yes. Expand the Lancaster Events Center. :D

I remember hearing how cool this place was when it was built. I was with my grandpa on his semi 2 years ago in Lincoln at a grain silo and he pointed it out to me. It looked like a big giant Tough-Shed or something. Really something to be proud of. There was this good editorial in the paper a few days ago from a guy in Lincoln who said Lincoln shoud stop trying to be the anti-Omaha (growth) and do something progressive for a change.

And isn't it a load of |expletive| that they want state help to build an arena for a wrestling tournament, but they don't want to help with bringing an Cabela's, amusement park, or a DTO project.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From the LJS story:

'Two separate studies have identified possible downtown locations for a new arena Birdsall and others say is needed to better compete with Omaha and other, smaller cities, for events. They point to a decision last April to move the state wrestling tournament from Lincoln to Omaha as evidence a new arena is needed, and want to set aside a portion of the additional lodging tax revenue to build one.'..

Like I stated in the 'Arena envy' thread..We didn't hear much crowing from Lincoln about a new arena until Qwest Center opened and Omaha threw their hat into the NSAA ring..

..Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

yea

Post by Linkin5 »

NO |expletive| cowboy......
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

oooooo this forum is getting fiesty :lol:
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: yea

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Linkin5 wrote:NO |expletive| cowboy......
:cry:

:lol: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

If Lincoln really wanted/needed a new arena they would have been more seriuos aobut it before or during the building of the Qwest Center.
DTO
Linkin5
County Board

christ

Post by Linkin5 »

You know what DTO, stop using Lincoln in your combined metro if you're not going to respect Lincoln. And second, why are so many of you opposed to an arena? Why should Sioux city, Council Bluffs, Kearney, (and in the near future Sioux falls) get one but we shouldn't? We are bigger, and more overdue for one than any of those cities. Secondly, have any of you actually been in Pershing? It is a shithole. I'm not mad, but if you Omahans want to count Lincoln in a combined metro, then at least start respecting us.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Linkin5 if you take the time, you'd see I personally have NEVER opposed a new arena for Lincoln..This is part of a post I wrote on the subject from 05/13/05:

'I do not object to Lincoln building a new arena..But like I've stated before, they need a unified plan; and they seem to be all over the place in the venue dept at this time. Untill ONE idea is developed for Lincoln that is feasable economically, a new arena for that city will not be realized.. '..

And I continue to stand by this comment..No one here is against Lincoln building a new arena..You do seem at least a bit agitated considering your rude comment directed at me earlier..Just chill okay..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Thu May 26, 2005 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Linkin... I think if you took a poll... most of us here would be very excited for Lincoln to get a new arena.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Yea, most of us are happy for Lincoln to do it, the only thing we don't like is the fact that a new arena wasn't even on the agenda untill the Qwest Center started taking away NSAA events. Frankley, it doesn' matter to me because the Qwest should be more concerned with the NCAA not the NSAA.