LB 500 is dead for this session

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

What taxes? Cabela’s didn’t want to pay taxes. They wanted a tax break and our reward would have been 300 cashier jobs.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I believe he's referring to lost sales tax revenue.
Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

The point is that once again we are loosing money to Iowa, money that we could have had here
Go west young man.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Will wrote:The point is that once again we are loosing money to Iowa, money that we could have had here
I wouldn't exactly lose any sleep over sales tax revenues lost to Iowa just yet. I believe there is still a pretty large imbalance in sales tax revenue going across the Mighty Mo to the west.

It will be interesting to see if Cabela's is truly interested in opening a shop in Iowa, or if this is just some grandstanding on the part of the company to shake a few legislators off the fence with the ol' "losing money to Iowa" line.
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

It will be interesting to see if Cabela's is truly interested in opening a shop in Iowa, or if this is just some grandstanding on the part of the company to shake a few legislators off the fence with the ol' "losing money to Iowa" line.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm really less than impressed with Cabella's over this whole thing, and then to play the, "Well we'll take our ball and play in Iowa" card is ridiculous.

I'd be really curious to see what economic impact this store would have anyways. People point to KC as Cabela's creating all of this development, but I think the speedway and ballpark played a much larger role in hotels, etc. being developed in that area than a retail store. I'm actually proud of our legislature for standing up to the corporate bully and telling them that enough is enough when it comes to public assistance for a business model that would make money even if they paid for the building themselves.[/code]
jcitta
Home Owners Association

Post by jcitta »

The Kansas City Cabelas is only an example. Look at what the store did for little old Sidney NE, or Mitchell SD. It brought good economic development around both of these stores which are both in smaller communities. I hope that they can rewrite the bill to at least include other entertainment venues so at least the amusement park can possibly get built. I still think that would have been a sweet place......the park and cabelas right off the interstate as you are coming into Omaha.....damn.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

I just don't understand why Cabela's needed this bill to build it when they managed to build 2 stores in Nebraska without it (Sidney and Kearney, although its pry the worst store). I just think its a shame how it got labeled the Cabela's bill and all the other good things that could have come out of it (amusement park, DT stadium,or DTL arena). I hope it will come back next session.
Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

cabella pushed for this bill to get the discount. They are the ones who first started it and others such as the amusement park and the ball park in omaha decided to jump on board after the bill started to gain some support
Go west young man.