Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

NE Govener Race

Post by Brad »

Nabity Announces
Seeking GOP nomination for governor

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/1605747.html
Nabity will face Congressman Tom Osborne and current governor Dave Heinemen for the GOP nod.
Brad
City Council

Nabity says Nebraska needs 2-term leader

Post by Brad »

Nabity says Nebraska needs 2-term leader

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1673&u_sid=1429541
Republican candidate Dave Nabity took his first political jab at Tom Osborne on Monday, saying Nebraskans deserve a governor who will commit to eight years in office.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Why is anyone bothering. We're going to enter the 1800's when the Coach gets here. I wouldn't try to beat TO. It's Nebraska and it's Tom Fing Osborne. He could walk around naked on the lawn of the capitol while kindegartners on tour looked on and no one would care.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO-

If I EVER see you in the Old Market or Downtown or ANYWHERE...

I'm seriously kicking your @ss for putting the picture of a naked Tom Osborne in my head. No amount of scotch will get that out of my head.

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

********NAKED TOM OSBORNE*************

Try straight up gasoline.
DTO
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Gurrr, DTO com'om man! I agree with you 1000% but ewww I can't even say it anymore.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Osborne supporters aim for write-in campaign

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=167 ... nd=9715921
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - Supporters of U.S. Rep. Tom Osborne began what they hope will be a write-in campaign Wednesday to get the former Nebraska football coach elected governor.

The group asked the Nebraska Supreme Court to rule that his followers should be allowed to write-in Osborne's name on the November ballot, even though he lost the Republican primary to Gov. Dave Heineman.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

So tell me what you think of this:

1) Consider Nebraskans voted for Bush 66%-33% in both of the last two elections (source: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/ ... states/NE/)

2) Consider a Heineman/Osborne/Hahn race could likely split the votes 33/33/33.

3) Nebraskans have historically been more willing (than usual) to vote Democrat on local ballots than federal.

4) Consider Heineman "only" had 50% of the primary vote.

If Osborne mounts a serious write-in campaign, this immediately becomes a relevant three-man race, with the potential for a (D)-Gov.

-Big E
Stable genius.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

do u just need a plurality or a majority vote to win the governer race?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Correct me if I am wrong but I think there is a law on the books that will keep this from happening. I believe that in Nebraska, if you loose a primary, you are not eligable to win an election with a write in on the general election.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

If you read the article (or perhaps it was a related article), the Osborne folks have already done their homework. The US Supreme Court struck down a similar law in Alaska in 1968, so it would really only be an issue of filing the lawsuit as legal precedence has been established for some time. Basically it is unConstitutional for a state to add extra stipulations to the requirements for public office.

Also, Jesse Ventura won the MN governor race with only about 37% of the vote. I don't know if the law is the same in NE.

-Big E
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Sorry, Don't have time to read EVERY linked artical here although I do find the chat interesting. If you take note I stated what I beleived to be true and did stay on topic. :roll: Following your rules you should not quote the MN race and it's comparison to NE without hard facts backed up with data.

Big E wrote:If you read the article (or perhaps it was a related article), the Osborne folks have already done their homework. The US Supreme Court struck down a similar law in Alaska in 1968, so it would really only be an issue of filing the lawsuit as legal precedence has been established for some time. Basically it is unConstitutional for a state to add extra stipulations to the requirements for public office.

Also, Jesse Ventura won the MN governor race with only about 37% of the vote. I don't know if the law is the same in NE.

-Big E