New Downtown Masterplan

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Ryan, I remember you being skeptical the first time I posted these about two years ago. The only difference in the photos is that the Omaha ones were taken in mid summer, and the Lincoln photos were taken in early fall, both gorgeous days.

And Finn, anyone could see that a lot of those photos were centered around 16th and Dodge, and that some pictures that were taken in sequence do have repeat people. I wasn't trying to fool anyone with the photos, just trying to make a legitimate case.

And, e, funny story. I was posting from a computer out at Village Pointe Cinema, where someone had aparently been logged in (sychoBC) and never logged out. Since I'm used to posting from home where I am logged in all the time, I didn't think anything of it and posted a few comments. When I realised it I was quite confused, but then figured it out. What a coincidence.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I didn’t see a hotdog cart in any of those dincoln pix. hmmmmmmmmm
15-17, 26, 32
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

These photographs are a solid backup to Aaron's perspective...

For anybody who's never been to either city. That's the problem. If I had never been to Nebraska and I saw these pictures, I'd say Omaha's street activity beats Lincoln's in a cakewalk. But since I've been to these cities a thousand times, experience tells me that the Lincoln pictures are not representative.

If I were to have happened upon these photos outside the context of this thread, my reaction probably would have been "Why does DT Lincoln look dead?" Because it just doesn't jibe with experience.

Unless things have drastically changed since I lived in Lincoln, there are still crowds outside the theaters and bars and restaraunts. Right? There are still street performers and panhandlers, right? There are still crowds of people in town for the State Fair, UNL sports, Nebraska State basketball, volleyball and wrrestling tournaments, the International Thespian Society meeting and a dozen other crowd-drawing events, right? There are still 6 or 7 highrise apartment buildings in DT Lincoln, right? The Stuart Building (12 stories), the brick building by the YMCA (10 stories), the old building on the corner of 12th and O (10 stories) the 3 or four 10 story apartments near the Capitol. And there are still the dozens upon dozens of mid-rise apartments around the perimeters of DT, right?

DT Lincoln is a completely different animal from DT Omaha. But Omaha's is changing for the better. 10 years from now, the street acitvity could blow Lincoln away. I hope it does. But as Finn has steadfastly maintained, Lincoln (at the moment) has the more pedestriany DT of the two.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It may be more friendly to fat |expletive| Americans because it's smaller, but even with all of the stuff Lincoln has it doesn't have more pedestrians than DTO.

Since I don't think we'll agree on who's better I would have to go who's is more walkable and who has more people. DTL because it's so much smaller is probably more ped friendly, but it can't equal the people DTO has. So what if they have more stores it still can't hold Omaha.

Just on any given day and everyones walking around here's what it would be like. If you know them fill in the blanks.

DTL
-UNL/Staff around 25,000
-Workers ________
-Residents ________

DTO
-Workers around 30,000
-Residents 6,000-7,000
DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

DTL: Has some people walking around.
DTO: Also has people walking around.

You guys are really getting bent out of shape over quite a trivial matter.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

:lol: That was funny Tuna. It really shouldn't matter but still.
DTO
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I'm not bent out of shape. And I agree, it's a trivial matter.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

So trivial in fact..That I believe this thread had ran it's course about 40 posts ago..

Perhaps it's time for a Masterlock :?: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

I agree.