New Downtown Masterplan

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

New Downtown Masterplan

Post by Linkin5 »

I was wondering what you all thought of this. The last Downtown masterplan was completed in 1973.
The plan includes:
-a civic square at 13th and P (right by the new GRAND Theatre)
-80 residential or hotel rooms
-underground parking
-100,000 square feet of office space
-renovations of buildings from 13th and P to the Haymarket for ground floor retail
-redevelopment of railyards and post office into NEW streets, Hotel, and Amtrak Station
-New arena on 8th street seating 12,000-18,000

One of the most exciting thing about this project is the emphasis on downtown retail, and maintaining Downtown as the core of the city.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I think that sounds great! Has the plan been released? Do you have a link?

I have always liked downtown Lincoln more than downtown Omaha. It has always been more active and pedestrian friendly as well as more attractive and not a ghost town after 5 pm (I know Omaha is changing!). Now they are addressing expansion and renovation. This is nice to see.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I agree. I was always impressed with all the pedestrian activity in downtown Lincoln. Too bad they can't get a few more high rises. It's been a while.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

I have to agree with the pedestrians in downtown Lincoln comments. When I switched jobs from downtown Lincoln to downtown Omaha I was expected to see so many more people walking and biking around downtown Omaha. Instead I saw exactly the opposite; there are so few people walking the downtown streets compared to Lincoln, especially at rush hour times. It must be all of the underground parking garages.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

20,000 college kids in close proximity will do wonders for a city's vibrancy, too.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

That's cool the Cornhusker Hotel is branded. I've never seen a hotel branded like that though by Marriott, "The Cornhusker, A Marriott Hotel".
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Also having a MUCH SMALLER DT will make it look more active. It's not nearly as spread out . But still, whay on earth do they need an arena bigger than the Qwest Center for?
DTO
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

It doesn't just look more active, it IS more active!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Take away UNL and it wouldn't be what it is. But it's not like it's a DT like Omaha or KC. It's more like a huge version of a small towns main street. Yes it's active but it's not on the scale that ours is.
DTO
WT
New to the Neighborhood

Post by WT »

DTO Luv wrote:Take away UNL and it wouldn't be what it is. But it's not like it's a DT like Omaha or KC. It's more like a huge version of a small towns main street. Yes it's active but it's not on the scale that ours is.
1. KC's downtown sucks, it may look cool in a postcard, but the activity fails in comparison.

2. Omaha has a cleaner downtown that is more active, but still does not have the activity of Lincoln's.

I guess that this goes to show you that the height of the buildings is not nearly as important as the activity along the street and the surrounding uses. I think that a couple of things hurt Omaha with the recent development.

1. The UP building looks nice in a postcard and in all of the photos on this website, but it does not do much for street activity. They supplied all of the uses that the employee needs inside the building, rather than putting them on the street.

2. The performing arts center will be a great place to visit, but does it really do much for the street activity?

If Omaha did not have the Old Market, it would have even less activity than Kansas City's downtown.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

But even with UNL I can't picture it being so much more active than Omaha. I've been there a few times and it wasn't (except for around the movie theatres) more noticably differant than Omaha. DTL is more centered with the University, the Haymarket, and O street ( I think that's the big, active one with the stores there) all in one area 3 blocks from each other. But if you DTO had all of it's main parts (the OM, 16th St, Joslyn, Qwest Center to name a few) all that close you'd notice the differance. It just LOOKS more active.
DTO
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

I was talking about business people walking and biking around at rush hour times. It just seemed like there were more people on the streets in Lincoln when compared to Omaha (keeping the size of the cities in mind).

The Old Market is a very large attraction, and draws a huge crowd on the weekend nights, but Lincoln has more restaurants and bars downtown per capita than Omaha (in my totally unbacked observations). Different crowds sometimes, but we're just pointing out that Lincoln has a great urban core for a city of its size. I think Omaha is great too.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Wow DTO I didn't know everything in DTL was in a three block radius of eachother......You should show me what you are talking about sometime.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I get the sense that some of you have not ventured into DT Omaha in awhile..

There is healthy street level activity M-Thursday..And significant street level activity Fri-Sun..And with the additions of Stabucks, Caribou Coffee and Scooters opening at strategic locations in DT Omaha this year; along with the nearly 800 condo units available within the next 24 months; this will enhance the activity..And did we forget the imminent plans for North Downtown?..

From the common sense dept:

I spent 4 years of my life attending college at UNL..Having a campus of 21,000 students in DT Lincoln with most living within a 3 mile radius is at least 75% of the reason for it's lively street level activity..For Omaha to not have this 'advantage' and to have garnered the ever growing DT activity we currently have speaks volumes on the growing health of DT Omaha..

That all said..

Nice ambitious plan for DT Lincoln..I hope at least some of it is realized..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

I know where Scooters and Starbucks are locating downtown, but where is Caribou locating downtown?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Minneapolis Boy wrote:I know where Scooters and Starbucks are locating downtown, but where is Caribou locating downtown?
They have not released an exact location spot as of yet..I assume either they have already selected or are still looking at locations..I do know they will be openng a location in DT Omaha later this year..

Which is good news :)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

Yes, it is good news!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

The Starbucks store in downtown Lincoln has an impressive exterior. Very Times-Square-like.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

jsheets wrote:I was talking about business people walking and biking around at rush hour times. It just seemed like there were more people on the streets in Lincoln when compared to Omaha (keeping the size of the cities in mind).

The Old Market is a very large attraction, and draws a huge crowd on the weekend nights, but Lincoln has more restaurants and bars downtown per capita than Omaha (in my totally unbacked observations). Different crowds sometimes, but we're just pointing out that Lincoln has a great urban core for a city of its size. I think Omaha is great too.
Lincoln: More bars per capita= more drunks period. :) So what's so special about bars that they make for a maore active DT than anything in Omaha? Maybe to say per capitat DTO and DTL are similiar but when you start saying that DTL is more active than DTO, it makes me wonder what you're thinking.
DTO
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

But DTO Luv, you're the one who brought entertainment districts into this argument!
But if you DTO had all of it's main parts (the OM, 16th St, Joslyn, Qwest Center to name a few) all that close you'd notice the differance
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm not following you. :?
DTO
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

This just got updated, check it out.
http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/plan/dt_ ... /index.htm

By the way, why do things always have to turn into a comparison between Omaha and other cities????......its annoying.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Beacause it's an Omaha website and some of us like comparing Omaha to other cities.
DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

This is really impressive!! Planning for future rail use, below-grade through streets?! Jaw dropping this came out of Lincoln. I really hope these plans can be implemented.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

It is sad that everything has to be Omaha vs. the world.

Lincoln has more street activity, period. Sure, Omaha is making strides, sure future development will help. But, right now Lincoln has more street activity than Omaha , a much bigger city.

But, UNL is close to downtown Lincoln! True, and Lincoln has more street activity. But, the Haymarket is close to downtown Lincoln! True, and Lincoln has more street activity. But, Omaha is getting more coffee shops! True, but Lincoln has more street activity.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

So what there aren't coffe shops in Lincoln? Let me know when they have people from around the country wanting to build a 30 story condo tower (and maybe even your tower) and we'll talk.
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I’m siding with DTO, ill take all the height potential of DTO over Lincoln’s little dream any day.
15-17, 26, 32
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

But, Omaha has a company that wants to build a 30-story condo tower!

True, and Lincoln still has more street activity!!!!!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

But, Omaha has a company that wants to build a 30-story condo tower!
There is possibly more than just that going on or "up". And by the time DTO surpasses DTL in the pedestrian’s some of these projects should be done.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Finn wrote:But, Omaha has a company that wants to build a 30-story condo tower!

True, and Lincoln still has more street activity!!!!!
And you are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else..

Thanks for sharing..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Thanks, but the fact that Lincoln has more street activity than Lincoln is not just my opinion! :)

Omaha should have more street activity and I am sure that it will before too long with all of the development and new residential units. But, Omaha has always been a 9-to-5 downtown that became a ghost town in the evenings. I'm sure that is part of the reason all this development is so exciting to us. But, let's not bash the others who have had a more pedestrian-friendly/active downtown than us for quite a while.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Finn wrote:

'But, let's not bash the others who have had a more pedestrian-friendly/active downtown than us for quite a while'..

Now this I agree with! :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: 'But, let's not bash the others who have had a more pedestrian-friendly/active downtown than us for quite a while'..
Chicagoans?
DTO
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

I've lived in Lincoln and Omaha, and Lincoln does have more foot traffic. They have more retail, more restaurants, theaters, and numerous other things to do down there. It always seemed much busier, thanks to UNL. It's the same way in other college towns.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

How many theaters does Douglas have downtown now anyway?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

They have two buildings, but 21 total screens. The new Lincoln Grand (12 screens) and the older Starship 9 which shows second-run films. Prior to the opening of the Grand there was Douglas 3, Plaza 4 and The Lincoln. I'm not sure if the Cinema Twin is still open or not.

Last I heard about the theatre situation in Lincoln was that a new theatre company (gasp, not douglas?!.../sarcasm) wanted to build an 18-screen theatre out by the new mall around 91st and Hwy 2 in SE Lincoln. I believe that got shot down followed by several angry editorials in the LJS about Lincoln protecting the Douglas monopoly. Lincoln stood by their justification of keeping DTL as theatre-central and ignored accusations of a monopoly. I'll keep my rant to myself.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

DTO Luv wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote: 'But, let's not bash the others who have had a more pedestrian-friendly/active downtown than us for quite a while'..
Chicagoans?
Nice!

:lol: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I think you guys are arguing apples and oranges here. I think lincoln probably does have more foot traffic downtown per capita, but Lincoln's downtown is a smaller area than Omaha's. Omaha's downtown is a lot larger (and business people usually take the lunch time circulator busses into the Old Market, instead of walking) I think the actual numbers of people walking the downtown streets are actually pretty similar between Omaha and Lincoln, just that Lincoln's are in a more concentrated area, thus giving it the distinctly more pedestrian ambiance.

A good thing about Lincoln's layout is that most of the bars college kids go to are within walking distance from the school, thus bringing down the amount of drunk driving.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It's all about the concentration. And I think some of you don't understand the meaning of "per capita".

It's very simple. Here's an analogy. If you take 10 people and cram them into a small room, it's going to look and feel quite packed (Lincoln). If you took 50 people and let them roam through a 30 room mansion, it's not going to look or feel nearly as cramped (Omaha).

Downtown Omaha is more active (and more sober I might add :) ) even though it occupis a much larger area than downtown Lincoln, and as others have pointed out it's only going to keep improving exponentially as more and more amazing projects that Lincoln can only dream about are announced and completed.

Very visionary plan, though, Lincoln. I hope it works out.