Memorial Stadium

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:Maybe we could get our columns back.
Nice Burlington Station Reference!

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sea of Red expected to grow

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101007/N ... ed-to-grow
Rich Kaipust WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:In July, Meyers hinted that work done to the East Stadium probably would not move capacity much higher than 90,000. Results of the survey showed that respondents considered the home sellout streak — now at 307 consecutive games — just as important as moving up the ranks in attendance.

Post by Guest »

On 1110KFAB before the Washington game, they were interviewing Osborne about expansion of the stadium and athletic budget. Osborne said, that to remain competitive in the BigTen, they would need to match the budgets and seating capacity of the leading BigTen schools. He also mentioned a figure of 110K as being a leading BigTen stadium (see O-State and Michigan). Further, to match the athletic budgets, that would mean NU would almost have to double their current budget. He also mentioned a possible construction time line of 2013.

Sounds like there will be some major facility upgrades soon.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Sorry if this is the same article as the OWH, but it is no longer rumor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5662189
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Funny thread to re-read.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Plan calls for 5,000 more seats

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101008/N ... more-seats
Leslie Reed WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:LINCOLN — By the 2013 football season, Memorial Stadium ought to be able to seat another 5,000 fans or so.

Details of a proposed $55.5 million East Stadium expansion, revealed Friday, said the expansion would include up to 2,800 new general admission seats, along with up to 500 skybox seats and up to 2,250 heated and covered club seats
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Perfect addition I think enough suites to bring the money in and enough other seats to keep the streak alive.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

looks like the expansion gets the green light!

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110128/N ... plans-ok-d
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

AWWW Yeah.  Plus the Devaney getting a much needed face lift.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

For those of you who have not seen a rough image of the new east stadium conceptual images check out this link below and watch the video on this website:

http://www.expandtheirexperience.com
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They are looking at adding even more seats and making it taller:

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/ ... 0adc1.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't mind it, it sounds like they want to add more suites over normal seats which means much more money for the university.  I just imagine how well sound will hold in the stadium with two massive glass fronted structures along two sidelines.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:I don't mind it, it sounds like they want to add more suites over normal seats which means much more money for the university.  I just imagine how well sound will hold in the stadium with two massive glass fronted structures along two sidelines.
The new soundsystem in Memorial is freaking horrible, they need to upgrade that as soon as possible.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I don't mind it, it sounds like they want to add more suites over normal seats which means much more money for the university.  I just imagine how well sound will hold in the stadium with two massive glass fronted structures along two sidelines.
The new soundsystem in Memorial is freaking horrible, they need to upgrade that as soon as possible.
I meant more the fans noise, but I agree I never liked having the sound come out of a single location on top of the video board.  It is like that at Arrowhead too and it really sucks.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
I meant more the fans noise, but I agree I never liked having the sound come out of a single location on top of the video board.  It is like that at Arrowhead too and it really sucks.
Oh, got ya.  Agreed.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Add another row of suites on the South Stadium and that noise would be NUTS.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Big announcement at 7 PM.  Looks like there may be renderings with this announcement of east stadium.  Also check out the site they have a bunch of updated renderings of the rest of the facility upgrades.

http://www.expandtheirexperience.com/projects.php
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks amazing!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow!  That's way up there!

[youtube][/youtube]
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

looks cool, but i'm gonna need some Dramamine after that.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

almighty_tuna wrote:looks cool, but i'm gonna need some Dramamine after that.
Amen.  Beziers haven't made it in to CAD programs yet?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The statue on the east side is gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:Image
Its insane how much that thing protrudes out, its huge.  (Go ahead Big E).
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Whats the structure in the lower middle?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

S33 wrote:Whats the structure in the lower middle?
Thats the new skybox.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Linkin5 wrote:Its insane how much that thing protrudes out, its huge.  (Go ahead Big E).
When people are filling in their own Big E jokes, my work here is done.  Boo-ya.
Stable genius.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Linkin5 wrote:
S33 wrote:Whats the structure in the lower middle?
Thats the new skybox.
I thought they called those "alumni check-signing rooms"?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

When this is done it will be interesting to see how much louder the stadium is.  Not just the extra fans but how much more noise will be "held in" with the rise of the East Stadium.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Greg S wrote:When this is done it will be interesting to see how much louder the stadium is.  Not just the extra fans but how much more noise will be "held in" with the rise of the East Stadium.

Greg
It should be pretty crazy.  I hope that it makes the sound system a little bit more tolerable, its almost unbearable as it is now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:I hope that it makes the sound system a little bit more tolerable, its almost unbearable as it is now.
I thought the only speakers were in a cluster above the scoreboard, is that correct?  Seems very outdated if it is.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:I hope that it makes the sound system a little bit more tolerable, its almost unbearable as it is now.
I thought the only speakers were in a cluster above the scoreboard, is that correct?  Seems very outdated if it is.
I believe that is correct.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:
I believe that is correct.
Yeah they are all in the North stadium, its pretty bad.
The Impaler
New to the Neighborhood

Post by The Impaler »

Drives me nuts that there isn't a webcam for the project.  There was a webcam for the new turf installation way back when but we can't get one for expansion of the stadium.  Anyone else think the endzone design is horrendous?  They should have torn down the endzones and rebuilt them to match east and west stadium.
The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

The Impaler wrote:Drives me nuts that there isn't a webcam for the project.  There was a webcam for the new turf installation way back when but we can't get one for expansion of the stadium.  Anyone else think the endzone design is horrendous?  They should have torn down the endzones and rebuilt them to match east and west stadium.
In what aspect?  I do agree that it is strange that a bulk of a stadium's seats would be behind the end zones, its due to poor planning when the initial expansions were done in the 1960s.
The Impaler
New to the Neighborhood

Post by The Impaler »

Linkin5 wrote:
The Impaler wrote:Drives me nuts that there isn't a webcam for the project.  There was a webcam for the new turf installation way back when but we can't get one for expansion of the stadium.  Anyone else think the endzone design is horrendous?  They should have torn down the endzones and rebuilt them to match east and west stadium.
In what aspect?  I do agree that it is strange that a bulk of a stadium's seats would be behind the end zones, its due to poor planning when the initial expansions were done in the 1960s.
Exactly my point.  Very poor planning way back when.  The endzones don't resemble any of the character that east and west stadium have.  When they did the expansion a few years ago on the north endzone I wish they would have just torn it down (north endzone that is) and rebuilt it resembling east and west stadium more, with an upperdeck and the luxury suites could have been between the upper and lower decks.
The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Trouble is that couldn't be done in a single offseason.  And Nebraska officials aren't going to let millions of dollars every game go away for an entire season.  It just won't happen.
The Impaler
New to the Neighborhood

Post by The Impaler »

iamjacobm wrote:Trouble is that couldn't be done in a single offseason.  And Nebraska officials aren't going to let millions of dollars every game go away for an entire season.  It just won't happen.
Oh I understand, it's the sad truth.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:Trouble is that couldn't be done in a single offseason.  And Nebraska officials aren't going to let millions of dollars every game go away for an entire season.  It just won't happen.
As well it would cost hundreds of millions to tear out those gigantic parts of the stadium and start from scratch.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

When this is done it will be interesting to see how much louder the stadium is.
I think they should spend a few million more to throw up a cantilevered roof like Washington used to have... help project that noise to the turf.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.