Third times a charm

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

Third times a charm

Post by Linkin5 »

Wal-mart is trying there third try at landing a new north Lincoln location. While obviously I'm not crazy about Wal-Mart, this location would do a good job in spawning other development, and help at filling in the small gap of undeveloped land between Lincoln and Waverly. Anyway, heres the Link:

http://journalstar.com/articles/2005/07 ... 027886.txt
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Since you mentioned Waverly, aren't they also getting a Super WalMart?!? That would put two Walmarts near within eyesight of eachother with nothing but cornfields between them. :(
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Maybe they can put an arch near the Waverly exit.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

May be walmart can pull an ENRON and over exaderate their numbers and then burn in heck for the rest on eternity.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

??????????????
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

"Small gap between Waverly and Lincoln" ? I love how Lincolnites talk about Waverly like it's a suburb. :)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:"Small gap between Waverly and Lincoln" ? I love how Lincolnites talk about Waverly like it's a suburb. :)
I love how you like to talk about Waverly being so far away, like Ashland or something. :)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

:)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

We already have Shakers at the Waverly exit... Walmart would be a nice addition to that use. All the rednecks will flock to Waverly (at least the ones that aren't already there).
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Now, now children..Lets play nice..

:) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:"Small gap between Waverly and Lincoln" ? I love how Lincolnites talk about Waverly like it's a suburb. :)
Streets you're right, "small gap" probably wasn't the best way to describe it.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

No big deal. Or as we say here in Quebec, "c'est pas grave". :)
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

almighty_tuna wrote:Since you mentioned Waverly, aren't they also getting a Super WalMart?!? That would put two Walmarts near within eyesight of eachother with nothing but cornfields between them. :(
Is Waverly getting a Super Walmart? I was down in Lincoln last night, and I noticed a huge new building by the Waverly exit which I had origionally thought was going to be a Super-W, but now it's got a sign up saying that it's going to be a TSC... which I find odd because they are also building a Tractor Supply Company (TSC) on 27th and I-80. Anyone know what's up?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

The TSC in Waverly that you saw is actually their distribution center under construction. I don't think there will be an additional retail location there. As far as the Wal-Mart is concerned, I believe I read something a couple months back that had a discussion about Waverly supporting a Wal-Mart and their home-grown stores. I distinctly remember shaking my head in disgust.
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

I believe a 300-400 lot housing development will be constructed in Waverly. So, there is going to be additional retail and commercial development.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

A little update on this. The City council will be voting on this, and it looks like they are going to pass it, the only obstacle after that is the Mayor's OK.

http://journalstar.com/articles/2005/12 ... 115075.txt
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Talk about Waverly as a burb as we talk about Lincoln as our burb
Last edited by MTO on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15-17, 26, 32
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I liken Waverly to Lincoln's Gretna. I wouldn't be surprised to see it start taking off in similar fashion to Gretna in the coming years. Speaking of Waverly, that's quite the enormous Tractor Supply Company warehouse they're building 'out there'.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

There's another distributer being built right next door, but I can't remember who it is off the top of my head.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

almighty_tuna wrote:There's another distributer being built right next door, but I can't remember who it is off the top of my head.

http://www.smartchicken.com/itn.html

It is the MBA Brand Smart Chicken Plant that is being built next door. You can read it about it in the NEWS section of their web site. This is the company that processes chicken with air chillling rather tahn water bath and adds no water to the finished product. They got their start in Tecumseh in the late 90's I beleive.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jhuston wrote:I liken Waverly to Lincoln's Gretna. I wouldn't be surprised to see it start taking off in similar fashion to Gretna in the coming years. Speaking of Waverly, that's quite the enormous Tractor Supply Company warehouse they're building 'out there'.
I assume that when this is completed that the TSC warehouse in Omaha along 275 will close. Anyone know if this is correct?
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Okay, I'm originally from Lincoln, and have a friend who is a cop down there, but sometimes I wonder if the cops need something better to do?

From the link above, this is an item they will be voting on at the same meeting:
Whether to make it illegal to drive more than half a block in two-way turning lanes without turning.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Damn, that sounds like a good law, I hate when people do that.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Well then on Normal between 40th and Cotner one could drive nearly 1/4mile in the center lane!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Another update:
"Operating in the shadow of a threatened veto by the mayor, the Lincoln City Council voted Monday to delay action on a development northeast of Lincoln that would include a Wal-Mart Supercenter."

http://journalstar.com/articles/2005/12 ... 979878.txt
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

That Seng woman gets on my nerves like none other (almost). She says that there's not enough population to support a large store like that. Well, what about a week ago when she went to the ribbon cutting of a new sewer line to open up Steven's Creek for development for a potential 50,000+ more people?! My knee-jerk reaction is to tell the council to get some stones and override the veto.

The sooner she's elected out, the better.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I agree with you 100% tuna, I can see why people would not want to have another wal-mart, but to give the reason because Lincoln could not support another one is just ridiculous. Even without the addition of Stevens Creek Lincoln could easily support another one of these Supercenters. I must say I am not a proponent of Wal-Mart, I am just simply tired of the mayors actions and her reasoning or lack there of.
lorne
New to the Neighborhood

Post by lorne »

I wish they'd put a wal-mart closer to DTL. I hate driving all the way to friggin 27th st.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Wal-mart should NOT be close to DTL. it belongs in the burbs.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

wal*mart doesn't belong anyplace...
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

MTO wrote:wal*mart doesn't belong anyplace...
Yeah I really hate it when I save money too.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

At the expense of....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Culture, aethetic pleasure, local economies, children in third world countries that work 18 hours a day with little pay and no benefits making the crappy, ugly clothes they sell, women/the women's movement, minorities, taxpayers (instead of giving their employees health insurance, Wal-Mart [the biggest employer in the country] encourage them to apply for medicaid)...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

All so you can save fiddycen.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

C'mon guys..

Knock it off..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

As a father of an infant who goes through a lot of formula; I would rather pay 16.00 for a can of formula then pay almost 25.00 for the exact same can at target. So how does that affect the 8 yr old kids in the third world country working 18 hrs a day to bring me this can of formula? It is the same thing just cheeper.
Go west young man.