Lincoln's "The Option" condos on hold

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Lincoln's "The Option" condos on hold

Post by Big E »

Just received this email from Tom Wanser of Hampton Developments in reference to "The Option" project in downtown Lincoln:

<<<<
A quick update to let you know what is going on with the OPTION. In a nutshell, because of some issues with the City and our inability to garner 12 reservations, the OPTION is on hold indefinitely. Instead, we are going to approach the project from a different angle and we'll be in touch within the month as to our plans. For those of you who have reserved a unit, we will be getting your deposit returned very soon and discuss with you our new project.
>>>>

Damn shame. These are the same folks handling the Brandeis conversion, if I'm not mistaken. We looked at this site and the Lincoln Building (9th and O St) before settling on SoMa, and may have ended up living in Lincoln if the timeline had worked out better.

Lincoln and its residents are really dropping the ball on this one, assuming that's where the blame should be directed.

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Does DTL even have a strong apartment base? Condos seem unfeasible for highly transient Lincoln.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Take a look at WoodsBros.com.

There's a LOT more condos in DTL than you would think. Granted, most are not DTO rehab caliber condos (with the exception of the Lincoln Building), but they are there.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Updated info on Lincoln's "The Option" from Tom Wanser via mass email:

<<<<
Hello to all:

We have changed direction for the OPTION and feel we have a very exciting concept.

We are planning thirteen units very much like the development in Omaha called "Rows at SOMA", located at 11th & Leavenworth. This development consist of 76 newly constructed town homes in the $250,000 – 600,000 range and can be viewed on the Web @ http://www.rowsatsoma.com We are planning thirteen with private two-stall garages, elevators (if wanted), great wide-open layouts, large bedrooms and roof top gardens/decks.
>>>>

I really hope this works out for them, Lincoln and the Haymarket.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Agreed Big E..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

For me, I think I would rather have the original (horizontal?) condo plan in the Haymarket, vs the vertical arrangement of the SoMa condos. I say this based strictly on the amount - and specifically type - of pedestrian traffic.

At SoMa, 99% of anyone walking around in there will be owners and their guests. In the Haymarket, you're going to have drunken frat boys and Husker fans (which is worse? ;)) walking by your front door all the time.

Oh well... just use up some space and start charging property taxes already.

-Big E
Stable genius.