Lincoln plans more big box, but in a new direction

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

almighty_tuna
City Council

Lincoln plans more big box, but in a new direction

Post by almighty_tuna »

LJS wrote:Documents submitted to the Lincoln-Lancaster County Planning Department show Southwest Village, which is northwest of the intersection of U.S. 77 and West Denton Road, would have more than 1 million square feet of retail, industrial and office space, including three “big box” stores and as many as 250 hotel rooms.
LJS wrote:According to the plans, the “big box” stores would be as follows:

* A 230,000-square-foot free-standing discount superstore.

* A 140,000-square-foot free-standing discount store.

* A 135,000-square-foot home improvement superstore.

Although no potential tenants are identified, a retail analyst said there really only are two companies that could be candidates for the 230,000-square-foot building.

“It’s fundamentally going to be a Super Wal-Mart or a Super Target,” said Sandy Skrovan, a vice president with Columbus, Ohio-based retail consulting firm Retail Forward.
http://www.journalstar.com/articles/200 ... 770011.txt

This is the first major commercial/retail development for Lincoln west of the Hwy77/I-80 "boundary", if you will. Its surprising to me to see this sort of project spring up in that area given the total lack of development in that area, west of Hwy77. I'd say the developers are banking on something big on the horizon for that area of Lincoln/Lancaster county. Definitely a pioneering development as far as location and vision for the area is concerned.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

This area is really gonna blow up in the next ten years.
Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

Where is this place at? I have no clue where this is going to be at? also where is this shopping center that is like Village Point?
Go west young man.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Where is it?...well, if you took I-80 around to the west side of Lincoln, then took the West Bypass/Hwy77 to south Lincoln it is at the intersection of West Denton Road/Warlick Blvd and Hwy 77.

The Village Point shopping center predecessor is also in south Lincoln at 27th & Pine Lake Rd. Google Maps would probably be helpful for you.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Wal-Mart plans Southwest Lincoln store
Company spokesman Ryan Horn said Tuesday the company has a purchase agreement for a site in the Southwest Village Development at U.S. 77 and West Denton Road.
Kiolbasa and Horn both said Wal-Mart’s plans at Southwest Village do not include a Sam’s Club warehouse store.
He said the development likely would include only two “big-box” stores instead of the three originally proposed.
The other big box may be Lowe's since it appears, as Tuna stated in another thread, that they may have problems building east on Hwy. 2.

Another interesting obsevation Tuna made was the fact that this development is west of the magical Hwy. 77 boundary. Now if we could just direct some of this retail boom to the northeast part of town.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Why would any city want more big boxes? We can't stop these things from popping up the way it is and already have plenty around.
15-17, 26, 32
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Well, Omaha certainly is reaching a saturation point in terms of the "super" discount stores. Lincoln unfortunately only has 2 Super Wal-Marts and to my knowledge no Super Targets. Not to mention no warehouse stores like Sam's. Say what you will about these stores but in terms of prices and convenience they are tough to beat.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Say what I will? Ok, they should take advantage of their current situation if you know what I mean.
Come to think of it Grand Island even has 2 wal*marts so that does seam a little out of proportion.
15-17, 26, 32
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

"Say what you will" was meant as a general comment towards the growing group of people who dislike the super discount stores. I have no clue as to where you stand on them. I can understand the arguments from both sides on the issue. For Lincoln, however retail is just not as readily accessible as in Omaha in my opinion.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I'll take your word for it.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Come to think of it Grand Island even has 2 wal*marts so that does seam a little out of proportion.
I was shocked to see a super center just down the road in Hastings as well.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I'm very interested to see what Mayor Seng has to say about the Wal-Mart at this location. :roll:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

CapitalGuy wrote:Well, Omaha certainly is reaching a saturation point in terms of the "super" discount stores. Lincoln unfortunately only has 2 Super Wal-Marts and to my knowledge no Super Targets. Not to mention no warehouse stores like Sam's. Say what you will about these stores but in terms of prices and convenience they are tough to beat.

Lincoln has a Sam's on N 27th near the super Walmart.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

a new super target is being built way out by 56th and yankee hill.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I thought it was at 40th & Yankee Hill
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

We had a Super KMart back when I was at UNL, at 27th & Cornhusker, but it has since closed.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

jsheets wrote:We had a Super KMart back when I was at UNL, at 27th & Cornhusker, but it has since closed.
Holla! I remember that place! It's now a Home Depot.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Just a bump since Linkin and others were asking about this...

local road improvements are currently underway.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Thanks Tuna, I had all but forgotten about this project.  I guess I was envisioning more of a "mall" though with clothing stores, instead of big box retail.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Wal-Mart has scrapped plans for building a new store at this location.  In fact, this whole development is now in jeopardy.  It, along with some adjacent land, may be offered up to the State Fair.