Lincoln creating DT master plan

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Lincoln creating DT master plan

Post by sokkerdewd »

From the World-Herald - it looks as if Lincoln's DT is looking for a niche.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u ... id=1162783
sokkerdewd
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

hey great for lincoln i hope the plan goes thru. It would be nice to see downtown lincoln cleaned up. What would be great for them is if they built a 200+ ft skyscraper. There really hasn't been a highrise built in DT lincoln in almost 25 years. What would also be nice in lincoln would be an interstate system or mabe even an outer loop for the city. But that may not be that likely.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A Portland, Ore., consulting group, Crandall Arambula, is being paid $380,000 by the city and the Downtown Lincoln Association to craft a new master plan. It is to be completed early next year.
Didn't Omaha just go out to Portland looking for suggestions on the Midtown plans? I have to admit Portland is one of my favorite cities, but I find this connection for Omaha and Lincoln interesting.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

jays25ks wrote: What would also be nice in lincoln would be an interstate system or mabe even an outer loop for the city. But that may not be that likely.
This has been in the works for several years. The route plans have been approved. Currently they are pursuing right-of-way acquisition (followed by final design) for the South Beltway which will run just south of Satillo Road from Hwy 77 east to Hwy2. The East Beltway, to be built after the southern leg, will be around 120th street from the I-80/US6 interchange (which will be rebuilt to accommodate) south to meet up with the South Beltway at Hwy 2.

Additionally, Hwy 77 will undergo changes to accommodate interstate-style travel, completing the city loop. Intersections at Yankee Hill, Rokeby Road and Old Cheney will be closed. New interchanges will be constructed at Pioneers Blvd and Capitol Parkway (C.P.'s interchange will be constructed in the next year or two. This was planned separate from the beltway project.). Access to Satillo Road, I believe, will be incorporated into the interchange design at Hwy77/South Beltway.

Here's a link to a pdf map of the project *takes a few minutes to load* :
http://www.ci.lincoln.ne.us/city/pworks ... align6.pdf

I haven't heard too much about it lately, but I don't peruse Lincoln's website as much as I did when I lived there so I might have missed something.

Adam
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

That would be great because it is difficult to get around lincon unless you know the layout of the streets and are willing to be stoping at stoplights constantly.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Eh, unless you are a truck driver its not really going to have an impact on every day driving. Unless by "getting around lincoln" you literally mean circumventing the city. The beltway is so far out that it will not really affect traffic in the city for daily driving. Even looking to the future when they actually get built there will be very few people a beltway will serve.

There are many other projects that need to be done in Lincoln before the beltway. Some of them *should* be common sense but proactiveness and common sense seems to be lacking in some areas down there.

Heh, on a more positive not, it will be nice (in 7 years when its all done) not to have to use 84th street to get to south lincoln.

*edited* to add that while the beltway is proactive there's a lot more work to do.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't see DT Lincoln having any more buildings built. They have a height restriction on buildings DT. Nothing taller than the capitol. Omaha will always be the major big business center for the state. One thing they do have that many of us want is a DT movie theater. They actually have 2 on the same street. They need to fix the streets in DTL. Their is to much traffic on 9th street with Highway 6 and Cornhusker highway intersecting it. It was as bad as some Omaha intersections. DTL has a wierd feel to it. Besides the capitol un UNL it has a small town main street feel. Many street level shops and store give i a big Fremont bent. I can see Lincoln and Omaha becoming like Dallas and Ft. Worth and Mpls. and St. Paul. Dallas and Mpls are the bigger and better ones but Ft. Worth and St. Paul have their own DT niches to fill.

As for the arena I don't thik it would be could. We already have the Qwest Center, Civic, MAC, Pershing and Devaney in the area so I don't see the need for another 10,000 seat arena. I went to Pershing once to see A Perfect Circle and they had half of the arena sectioned off and the concourse looked like a stable.
DTO