Big Red impact on Lincoln economy..

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Big Red impact on Lincoln economy..

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From today's W-H:

'The Lincoln economy owes a lot to Husker fans and teams - about $114 million and 2,840 jobs last year.'..

Not that this really is any suprise..The impact is HUGE..

The complete W-H piece:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46& ... nd=2713908

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yes, not surprising. :)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

sad, so sad
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

pkiphd wrote:sad, so sad
WOW?
I am typing the abbreviation for WHAT THE |expletive|, and it keeps coming up "WOW", why the |expletive| is it doing this?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Linkin5 wrote:
WOW?
I am typing the abbreviation for WHAT THE |expletive|, and it keeps coming up "WOW", why the |expletive| is it doing this?
Its all Jeff’s fault.
15-17, 26, 32
jcitta
Home Owners Association

Post by jcitta »

Why is it sad pkiphd?
I think we should be happy for our neighbors to the south. The Huskers are a good positive for Lincoln and Nebraska as well. Just because they are in a different town i dont think we should be saying it is sad.
GO JAYS/MAVS!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I suppose this is the same take you have ont he CWS??? :?

IT is all economic impact $$$ in Nebr and there is a fair amount comming from outside the state to. I don't get this take.

Do you think all the $$ for the CWS or the concernts at the Quest or River City Roundup Etc, come from out of Omaha, or Ne. Looks to me like someone who just doesn't like the Big Red. sad, so sad.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Can't wait to get this season started. We should be much improved and better than most believe. The rebound continues (sucks for you Husker haters!).

Go Big Red.
murfj
Home Owners Association

Post by murfj »

Anybody who thinks that is sad is just very biased, I'm afraid. People in Omaha are excited about the boost to their city- both the financial boost and the media exposure their city gets- every year during the CWS, so what's wrong with Lincoln getting a HUGE financial boost and regional and national media exposure each week there is a football game?

It's been a long off season, I've got tickets in hand and am counting the hours until Saturday night's kickoff!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I don't hate the Huskers. And I know that they will probably be really good again though I'm in no position to predict when that will be.

I do think though that the Husker's recent lack of success has oddly enough improved a lot of Omahan's civic pride. Weird I know, and it could be a coincidence, but I noticed a lot of Omahans pride in Omaha increaded at the same time the Husker's started having a hard time.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Linkin5 wrote:
WOW?
Yes, this is Jeff censoring us. I discovered this, too. You can get around it by spacing the letters, like this: W O W?

(Begin count down 'til Jeff censors this :) )

I think W O W is a very good way to express that saying without having to say it. It should be allowed.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Finn wrote:Can't wait to get this season started. We should be much improved and better than most believe. The rebound continues (sucks for you Husker haters!).

Go Big Red.
Woo hoo! I don't know about you but I found myself reading every article on Huskerpedia this off-season even if they were reprints with a line or two changed here or there. :lol:

My prediction for '05: 9 wins. A top 20 finish. And no more blow-out losses. I don't know what was worse last season, all those NCAA records coming to a grinding hault or the blow-out loss after blow-out loss.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Huskers should be better than last season, but they still have an unproven QB. I think next season they should amount to something again, while this season they are still going to be having growing pains mastering Callahan's system.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yeah, the cornheads have to go.

But you've pointed out something very important with that last statement. The fact that people associate that university DIRECTLY with the state. I don't like it when people refere to the university or its sports teams simply as "Nebraska". For one, it is not the ONLY university of Nebraska! I know that it used to be, and that's where this tendency originated. But, also because of the connotations these statements can have.

When you hear, "Man, Nebraska sucks", even if the person is referring to the university or one of its sports teams, it has connotations that include the whole state.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Streets, I'm sure people know that they are talking about the University or sports teams when they are in a conversation and discussing it. And yes, there are more than one university in Nebraska but the best known one is UNL (aka: Nebraska) Plus it has the only Division I football team in the state which is "one of" our biggest assets and most well known. One more thing, I for one really don't care if people think all of Nebraska is farmland because that just means they don't know any better and will be suprised to find out that it is not, if they ever visit.

Please, enough discussion about the negative associating with the State of Nebraska, afterall, we are still part of the state aren't we?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I don’t want a football team to represent me! I don’t want a football team to be the only thing people can relate to my state! I don’t want the economy of our state be dependant on a football team! YOU GET MY POINT!?!?
15-17, 26, 32
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Rest assured, Nebraska football accounts for a tiny percentage of the state economy. As for how the rest of the country perceives Nebraska, the amount of time you spend worrying about on a given day probably far exceeds that which the average American spends thinking about Nebraska in their lifetime. Get over it!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Jeff your words are so reassuring.
15-17, 26, 32
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

However, for many people living in Nebraska... the Huskers ARE their life. Every day they wear their little red shirts and talk about the current season, recruiting, or the upcoming season.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Harpoon wrote:However, for many people living in Nebraska... the Huskers ARE their life. Every day they wear their little red shirts and talk about the current season, recruiting, or the upcoming season.
dont remind me
15-17, 26, 32
jcitta
Home Owners Association

Post by jcitta »

and people on here talk about omaha and when the cheesecake factory is going to come to town. :)
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Harpoon wrote:However, for many people living in Nebraska... the Huskers ARE their life. Every day they wear their little red shirts and talk about the current season, recruiting, or the upcoming season.
That type of thing goes as much here as it did in Omaha, except here it's the 49ers (obviously).
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

jhuston wrote:As for how the rest of the country perceives Nebraska, the amount of time you spend worrying about on a given day probably far exceeds that which the average American spends thinking about Nebraska in their lifetime. Get over it!
:lol:

Besides, Omaha and Nebraska are not the same place. Are they, Streets. Are they?
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I don’t want a football team to represent me! I don’t want a football team to be the only thing people can relate to my state! I don’t want the economy of our state be dependant on a football team! YOU GET MY POINT!?!?
I think so....you want Napolean Dynamite and Pinback to represent you! :lol:
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Be glad of the fact that were known for something...

I'd rather the state be known for football than, say, corn or any of the other stereotypical things people could think of for midwestern states.