Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

Council Denies 84th and Highway 2 Theatre

Post by Linkin5 »

From the Lincoln Journal Star:
http://journalstar.com/articles/2005/09 ... 655557.txt

"The council denied a developer’s request to build a 12- to 18-screen theater in southeast Lincoln."

"The debate over the merits of the theater policy was ignited when Eiger Corp. sought to build a multiplex at its Prairie Lakes Shopping Center at 84th Street and Nebraska 2. The council voted unanimously against striking the theater policy from the Comprehensive Plan and changing the city’s zoning ordinance to allow theaters with more than six screens if they’re more than 6.5 miles from downtown. "

"While that may sound like Eiger lost, council members made it clear they’re uneasy with leaving the policy intact. Four of the seven council members expressed interest in abolishing the policy at some point, and the council chairman suggested the policy be examined on its own in a public hearing soon"

Although its good this new theatre development got knocked down, the fact that council members are thinking about changing the theatre policy is a TERRIBLE idea. This would be completely counter productive to the enhancements being made to P street downtown, and would put the new Grand Theatre's future into jeopardy.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Re: Council Denies 84th and Highway 2 Theatre

Post by almighty_tuna »

Linkin5 wrote:Although its good this new theatre development got knocked down, the fact that council members are thinking about changing the theatre policy is a TERRIBLE idea. This would be completely counter productive to the enhancements being made to P street downtown, and would put the new Grand Theatre's future into jeopardy.
As a former Lincoln resident I couldn't disagree more. The Grand replaced 11 downtown screens and added 7. Its not like it was new competition in an established market. Speaking of competition, the Lincoln government is supporting a near monopoly of Douglas Theatres. The ordinance is more than 30yrs old, and while just because something is old doesn't mean it needs replacing, the theatre market, and the way people spend their money, has changed in the last 30yrs. There is no Brandeis downtown anymore, no retail to speak of. If the downtown Lincoln entertainment scene and the P Street Marketplace rely that heavily on one theatre multiplex then there are more problems occurring than suburban theatres. I could rant a while, but my smoked salmon is done smoking and I'm hungry. :evil: :evil:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

But the whole point of new Downtown Masterplan is to revitalize retail to P street and to get people back into downtown, which is where the new theatre comes into play. Pretty much the only thing I do agree with is that Douglas is a monopoly and it needs to be stopped, THEY BLOW! Downtown Lincoln needs to be revitalized and P street retail, the haymarket, and the Grand theatre are all vital peices to this working. And the addition of a MEGA SUBURBAN PEICE OF SHIP MOVIE THEATRE would be a major detractor to this working. The city ordinance right now states no theatre outside a 6.5 mile radius of downtown can have more than six screens and this ordinance needs to STAY. Ha, thats about it. :x
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

As a former Lincolnite myself, I have mixed feelings about the max 6 screen theater regulation. It artificially tries to eliminate sprawl, but only by limiting multiplexes. What about limiting the commercial developments in the burbs too? That would accomplish their goal better, one would think.

I dunno how to stand on this one. I haven't heard of other cities with a screen max to compare to.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

That's interesting. I never knew about that law. When I lived in Lincoln, I loved going to the theatres downtown.
murfj
Home Owners Association

Post by murfj »

I live in Lincoln, and I really don't like the situation we are stuck with. I do like the idea of trying to keep downtown alive, but I do not like going to movies downtown- it is more hassle than it's worth to circle around a dozen times trying to find street parking, often resorting to parking in a garage. Personally I would rather have a big megaplex out on the edge of town somewhere, so that we could just drive there- park there- and go into the movie.
I know we are stuck with the Grand now that it is there and we need to do what we can to support it so it doesn't go out of business and cost the taxpayers a bunch of money- but if I had my choice when it was being proposed, I never would have wanted to put it there in the first place. There is a reason no theater companies anywhere in the entire U.S. are building megaplexes in downtowns anymore.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

<<<<
It is more hassle than it's worth to circle around a dozen times trying to find street parking, often resorting to parking in a garage.
>>>>

:exploding head smiley:

There is so much freaking parking in downtown Lincoln it's stupid. Admittedly, what there isn't a lot of is a free parking spot for everying f-ing person in front of every f-ing door.

-Big E
Stable genius.
murfj
Home Owners Association

Post by murfj »

You are right, there is a lot of parking in downtown Lincoln, but it's all parking garages. Street parking is usually full but always worth looking for first.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Not if you're going to a movie. If you show your ticket stub to most of the parking garages after the movie, it will cost you nothing to park.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

In a minute you'll hear Jeff saying "There he goes again", but here goes anyway...

Is there something wrong with the free market deciding what succeeds and what doesn't? Should there be a law protecting restaurants and other commercial establishments? I think downtown Lincoln is a nice looking place, but this goes against free market capitalism that built this nation.

Lincoln is no longer a small town, and as I understand it there are new people moving there all the time. Take a look at the developments sprouting up north, south and east of the city. If I'm not mistaken there are over 250,000 people in the Lincoln metro. Are they all being forced to shlep downtown to see a movie? For that matter, why is it that the movie industry is singled out for special treatment? Is the movie industry the silver bullet that is going to save downtown Lincoln?

Downtown Omaha isn't a retail mecca anymore, yet there has been over $2 Billion spent there in the last few years. Yes, TIF and other tax vehicles have been used, yet the majority of the spending has been private money. The same goes for Des Moines and now KC.

I simply do not understand this particular law. I would have preferred to see TIF or other incentives used to help finance the theater project, but let it make economic sense...and let it compete on a level playing field with competition.

Oh! Wait! I almost forgot! There are a ton of UNL students living near downtown Lincoln! What a target audience.

Gimme a break...

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I was about to say something about free market as well.

You can't punish economic growth like Lincoln is currently doing. It would be much wiser if they only offered great incentives for new devlopment downtown and offered no incentives for developing on the edge of town.

But then again...free market ideals are what created sub-urban sprawl in the first place.
murfj
Home Owners Association

Post by murfj »

"Not if you're going to a movie. If you show your ticket stub to most of the parking garages after the movie, it will cost you nothing to park."

This is not true. Some parking garages will give credit of one hour if you have the movie ticket stub validated, and there is one garage that will do up to two hours free.
Calibraskan
Home Owners Association

Post by Calibraskan »

Also a former Lincolnite......I totally support the theater limit concept. Downtown Lincoln used to be incredibly cool and anything done to boost it back up or keep it from sliding further is a positive direction in my opinion.

And whats the complaint about "schlepping all the way downtown?? You can get there in max. 15-20 min. from just about anywhere in the city.

The parking issue is more psychological than anything else, but a major factor that niether Lincoln or Omaha have adequately addressed in trying to revitalize the downtown cores.

About ten years ago Santa Monica embarked on a major downtown revitalization project around a pedestrian mall called "Third Street Promenade". One of the first things done was to make nearly all of the public parking garages FREE!! This project was unbelievably successful...so much so that even though you now have to pay for parking, (the first two hours are stilll free) many of the garages are often completely full! Movie theaters were also a key catalyst to the development that has progressed to the point of this place being wall to wall people many nights of the week!

Long story short: Free parking and theaters = vibrant downtown!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Yeah and Lincoln just increased parking garage costs. I swear everytime I think the city council is trying to be progressive, they do something like this. I don't think they understand the concept of people not wanting to go downtown because it costs too much to park.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

ps calibraskan that santa monica project seems really cool, lincoln definitely needs to look at that.
Calibraskan
Home Owners Association

Post by Calibraskan »

A bit more of my "two cents"....

I think they should tighten the restriction, if anything. I don't think there should be ANY new theaters within a TEN mile radius of downtown!!!

I don't know if its a zoning issue or what, but as I thought about it, ALL movie theaters in Santa Monica (except one or two really old ones) are downtown either on, or within one block of the Third Street Promenade.....and before this development took off, downtown Santa Monica was not much more exciting than what downtown Lincoln was before the big slide started in the early eighties. Now it is such the L.A. hot spot you would have to see to believe it!!....and it all started with theaters and free parking!!

The suburban orientation of both Lincolnites and Omahans make them feel about as adversed to pulling a parking ticket as getting a root canal!!
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

I believe I've posted about Third Street Promenade before here (can't find it), but I must totally agree that it is a wonderful attraction in Santa Monica. I was there a couple of months ago when visiting LA, and the whole family loved it. Think KC's Plaza but in a beautiful downtown setting, with 4 blocks of blocked off pedestrian streets. Street performers, stores, bars, restaurants. It was great.

Lincoln couldn't hold the stores they had, but the idea should be implemented in Lincoln or Omaha. Great stop. Wish I had pictures to share.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Updated in today's LJS, the city council has upheld the restriction on megaplex theatres outside of Downtown Lincoln. Their agreement with Douglas Theatres concerning the 20 Grand was specifically mentioned as a reason the ban remains. The combination of this and the firing of their chamber president really does not make this a red letter week for Lincoln.
OPlaya
Home Owners Association

Post by OPlaya »

Wow. I don't know how much of a positive this will be for Lincoln long term. Nothing wrong with having a theater downtown or out in the burbs. I know alot of people don't wanna drive one way or the other for any entertainment. I think they should open things up and I do agree that Douglas Theater's blows. Makes me thankful we have an AMC here in Omaha.