Pinnacle Bank Arena

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I thought Qwest seats 14,700 for hockey now, with just under 1,500 additional seats coming this Summer?

Everyone that has ever been to the Ralphs says it is undeniably the nicest arena in the country.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote:I thought Qwest seats 14,700 for hockey now, with just under 1,500 additional seats coming this Summer?
Greg
From the Qwest Center website:

'Arena Facts

The Qwest Center Omaha Arena currently seats 17,000 for concerts, 15,500 for basketball and 14,700 for hockey. During the summer of 2006, a seating expansion project will take place, resulting in the addition of 1,472 seats. This will increase the number of seats for basketball to 17,560, to 16,680 for hockey and up to 18,300 for concerts.'..

The link for this specific information:

http://www.omahameca.com/default.asp?ln ... 6&newsID=0

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Arena task force "moving away from" Post Office site
Lincoln Journal Star wrote:In late June, the task force narrowed nine potential arena locations down to three, which are all near the Haymarket District: the site of the post office near Seventh and R streets, west of Lincoln Station in the Haymarket District, or south of Harris Overpass just south of the Haymarket. The Lincoln Station could serve as a front door to an arena, convention center or hotel.

He said it’s not about the fact that the U.S. Postal Service is considering consolidating Lincoln’s downtown post office with another city’s — which would cause Lincoln to lose hundreds of jobs — even though having to relocate the post office could make construction of a new post office in another city more tempting. Lorenz said the two other sites are probably “cleaner” and would take less time, but the post office site may still work down the road, particularly if it’s abandoned by the Postal Service anyway.

It’s been nearly a year since a task force appointed by Mayor Coleen Seng recommended the city replace the Pershing Center with a new arena with up to 15,000 seats and enlist a private developer to build a hotel and convention center nearby. After Seng made the group’s recommendations public, the task force was divided into four subcommittees and said it would report back to Seng in late May or early June. They’re a little behind schedule. The subcommittees are now largely studying the cost of various scenarios.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Group reveals Lincoln plans
And their plans include giving the University of Nebraska-Lincoln room to grow by moving the state fair, adding a more vibrant downtown entertainment corridor, expanding Haymarket Park and building a new arena and convention center, among other things.
And its proposals focus on UNL, its real estate and its institutions as assets from which the group hopes the city can draw prosperity and opportunity.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The QCO a failure. That is some extreme naïvety.
15-17, 26, 32
OPlaya
Home Owners Association

Post by OPlaya »

People who say that Qwest is a failure haven't obvioulsy made the drive up here lately.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah thy didnt rip them 2,000 seats out because they weren't filling the place up. And I'm sure many of them have came to it at least once. We have had plenty of counry type acts that drew plenty in. Many of the outstates are to blame for helping sale out Kenny C.
15-17, 26, 32
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I was out in Utica this weekend and some out state relatives of mine were talking about the differences between Omaha and Lincoln. They said Lincoln doesn't seem to care about anything except the University and aren't surprised, or upset, that most things go to Omaha.
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

On one hand their does seam to be the jealous group they pry are the minority though. I can see what they are saying. I think its cute that they do dream of competing but need to realize the reality of the situation. :no:
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

how is this the only thing you people are talking about after reading that article? Lincoln is doing some progressive things in its downtown, and trying to make the city better as a whole, and all you guys can talk about is omaha.... :roll:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

eOmaha.... Or I guess there isn't enough people from Lincoln around to talk about it on here.
15-17, 26, 32
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Very true Linkin5. I am excited to see these changes take shape in Lincoln's future. I already think it is a great small city with a clean downtown oriented towards pedetrians. I think this joint venture of professionals, the city and the U. will really impact downtown and spread the core. This plan, along with the Antelpe Valley Project, will really improve the fringes and make for a more cohesive urban core.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I'll presume I already know the answer to the question I'm about to pose... the answer is "Because they're stubborn".

the question, why don't local promoters and UNL get together and use The Bob for more entertainment events? It seats what... 13,500?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I thought it was because it isn't good enough.  Too old.
15-17, 26, 32
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I thought it was because it isn't good enough.  Too old.
As opposed to Pershing... ?

[/img]
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Or the Omaha Civic Auditorium?

The Devaney is not too old to hold more events. I would assume the university doesn't want to deal with more outside uses!?.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Finn wrote:Or the Omaha Civic Auditorium?.
Which, unlike the Pershing, was given a $21 million dollar facelift in 1992..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I read somewhere that a new Lincoln arena/cc would cost around $250 million. That's within $50 million of the Qwest Center. I don't see what Lincoln possibly stands to gain from building something that big and costly. When it comes to arena events that's one area where Omaha and Lincoln are more together. I don't think there will be enough events to go around to support 2 arenas that size.
DTO
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

From everything I can recall the minimum specs for a new arena and convention center was at least 15,000 seats and 35 to 50k square feet of convention space along with an additional 20k sq. ft. of banquet space. Again these are just the bare minimum requirements the actual finalized plan may be larger than this. I agree with the belief that the cities are considered together for arena and convention center entertainment purposes. For that reason, at least if/when Lincoln starts getting events Omahans can make the short trip down I-80 to beautiful downtown Lincoln. Just as, Linconites have made the trip to Omaha. Competition is a good thing.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Oh DTOluv ur always tryin to hate on lincoln.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Linkin5 wrote:Oh DTOluv ur always tryin to hate on lincoln.
Maybe, but he has a valid point up there.  Considering Lincoln/Omaha/CB as one area, we have Qwest, Civic, MAC, La Vista Convention Center, Holiday Inn Convention Center, Lancaster County Fairgrounds (yes, there are trade shows there), Pershing, and Devany.  Of that list there are 5 major facilities, 3 of which hold over 10,000 people.  

I don't see the sense in spending another 250M to duplicate what is already in the area.  Not to mention a likely higher rent for events and a smaller tax base to finance it when things go wrong.  There's a lot that could be done to Lincoln with that money which would have a much greater return for their investment.  They definitely need a new arena, but save the money and build something MAC-esque and offer amenities that nobody else in the area has.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I could justify the cost of the arena itself based on a commitment from the university to the basketball team.  If they could pull 17K twenty times a year, it's like adding another half football season.  Considering most downtown Lincoln businesses make their nut from football season, I doubt you'd hear any of them complain about an extra four home football games.

I'm not so sold on a huge convention center attached.

-Big E
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Big E wrote:I could justify the cost of the arena itself based on a commitment from the university to the basketball team.  If they could pull 17K twenty times a year, it's like adding another half football season.  Considering most downtown Lincoln businesses make their nut from football season, I doubt you'd hear any of them complain about an extra four home football games.

-Big E
I understand your argument but the 17K does not hold water.  It is not the arena but the team that keep the draw down.  If a winning team was on the floor then you would have 12K in place now for those nights.  That is a NET out of 5K for a new arena to be justified on.

There is also a difference between a 2 Hr BB game and an all day football event.  Many of the games are on weeknights and the impact downtown, while there, would be marginal at best.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I find it less ridiculous that Lincoln would build a 17K seat arena than Omaha having three arenas all in close proximity to each other (qwest. MAC, and civic.)  I truly believe this arena would be fully utilized and would be filled to capacity enough times every year that it would make sense to have 17,000 seats.  A lot of you always talk about how small town people prefer Lincoln to Omaha, so I'm sure there is a market for those people that would rather do something in Lincoln than Omaha.  Also, many people on the western side of Nebraska as well as in the tri-cities area I believe would be much more likely to go to a concert or game in Lincoln than Omaha.  Thirdly, if the UNL men's basketball team or UNL volleyball teams played five or so games in the arena every season, I believe they would all sell out because even if the team isn't good people will still go and watch if they are playing in a new facility.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nebugeater wrote:It is not the arena but the team that keep the draw down.  If a winning team was on the floor then you would have 12K in place now for those nights.
That's what I meant by a commitment by the university to the basketball program.  I'm assuming the university will make the effort to draw the same as Creighton in the near future.

And a 2 hr basketball game is no different than a 3.5 hour football game when it comes to the amount of time fans spend in the area - ESPECIALLY if the team is good.  Now, I'll buy that a Saturday game vs a Tuesday night game is not quite apples to apples.

But you can't argue with 17K fans x ±15 legitimate home basketball games (regular season D1 teams with a pulse, and I revised it down a bit) = 255,000 fans / 84K (football capacity) = 3 extra "home football games" annually.  There is no business in downtown Lincoln that would not support that.

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Linkin5 wrote:I find it less ridiculous that Lincoln would build a 17K seat arena than Omaha having three arenas all in close proximity to each other (qwest. MAC, and civic.)  
Yeah we really had alot of say on that arena in another state. :roll:
DTO
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Yeah we really had alot of say on that arena in another state.
Good, then you'll understand when you have no say as to what goes on with your friendly soutwestern neighbor.

And, I agree that the arena is going to need a major tenant and it is likely going to have to be the BBall Huskers or a minor league hockey team (probably CHL/AA equivalent). AFL2 would be good too.
A couple of things on this thought:

1. Taxpayers won't be carrying the burden on this portion. Lincoln (probably learning from Omaha's mistakes) is currently working with John Q. Hammonds to build an attached hotel and convention center.

2. The convention center I believe is only going to be about 1/2 of the size of the Qwest's convention center. To an extent, the two facilities won't be competing for the same events.

Also, Pershing will likely be done as an events facility one way or another. Talk is of converting it to a new main library. I could also see the university partnering because Devaney is 30 years old and the university needs to build a basketball practice facility anyways. Devaney's use could be converted and the new arena could be used.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I thought UNL has said numerous times the they wouldn't let the basketball team play anywhere other than the Devaney.
DTO
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Come on now, you know enough to know that what you here publicly is not always what comes to pass.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm not sure what arrangements the husker BBall team has with the Devaney. I don't know if it's an on-campus arena or what but I know I've heard it many times that they don't won't play in another arena.
DTO
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

It is on campus, and a great college basketball venue in my opinion. But in the last 5 years or so 4 Big 12 teams have either built new arenas or undergone extreme renovations (Texas Tech, Texas A & M, Mizzou, Oklahoma State). So it won't be too long before a change of venue is needed. We'll have to wait and see what happens but I don't think it is a forgone conclusion that NU won't be involved.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They don't even draw that well for a 15,000 venue. They don't even draw well in there 12,000 venue.
DTO
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

True....But they have in the past. In the glory days of Danny Nee, sell outs were pretty much guaranteed for conference games. And if I know Nebraska, and I think I do, Nebraskans absolutely love a winner. If the Huskers string together two or three good years in a row the attendance levels would come back.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Well get there first and maybe that new arena will be a bit more realistic and viable.
DTO
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

I don't want to turn this into a Creighton or Nebraska thing, but I will remind you that before the Qwest Center Creighton was only averaging 7-8k fans a game at best. And also, viability doesn't hinge on the Huskers. The arena will still be viable for concerts and NCAA events and possibly a minor league sports team or 2.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yeah but they were filling up their venue. UNL isn't even doing that and it will be awhile before they're good again.
DTO
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

No, they weren't filling up their venue. They sold out a 9k seat arena for maybe 2 or 3 games a year. Even in NU's down years they could sellout 9k seat arena at least 2-3 games a year and probably more. The point is if you don't think the novelty of the arena isn't part of the reason for Creighton's attendance numbers, you are naive. That and the glory years of the MVC are on going.

Also, please be careful about making drastic predictions such as the one you just did. I remember people on this board saying that Creighton would beat NU by 20-25 this past season and as I recall they lost by over 10 points. Every team is only one or two players away from being good.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

CapitalGuy wrote:No, they weren't filling up their venue. They sold out a 9k seat arena for maybe 2 or 3 games a year. Even in NU's down years they could sellout 9k seat arena at least 2-3 games a year and probably more. The point is if you don't think the novelty of the arena isn't part of the reason for Creighton's attendance numbers, you are naive. That and the glory years of the MVC are on going.

Also, please be careful about making drastic predictions such as the one you just did. I remember people on this board saying that Creighton would beat NU by 20-25 this past season and as I recall they lost by over 10 points. Every team is only one or two players away from being good.
This is exactly what I have been trying to say.  Even if you put a losing Nebraska men's basketball team in a new arena it would still boost attendance dramatically that would suffice for a new arena to be 15,000-17,000 seats.