Pinnacle Bank Arena

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Swift wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:I agree with that somewhat, but would say Nebraska's fanbase in much larger than Creighton's, so I think the opportunity is there for Nebraska basketball to be a consistent sellout in a new facility regardless of their skill or record.
His point was more that Creighton's fans are more densely populated closer to the Qwest (some would even argue that Creighton doesn't have any non-alumni fans who don't live in Omaha).

I do think they you guys are pinning some awful high expectations on a new coach, though. People were saying the same thing about Callahan when he first arrived.

If Sadler turns into a dynastic coach, then I'd say definitely build the arena. But I'd say wait until that happens before you decide.
I know what you're saying Swift.  Sadler probably won't turn out to be that great of a coach.  But I like living in denial!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Linkin5 wrote:DTO, creighton was filling up the civic, which only seats about 9,000 people.   Nebraska would easily be selling out if Devaney only sat 9,000.
What kind of an argument is that? I'd be rich if Warren Buffett gave me a billion dollars.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'll say it again...

Nebraska has had multiple seasons in which it has averaged over 13,000 in the past (as recent as the 90's)... so it's not as if it's wishful thinking that they might fill up a larger arena.  I mean for crying out load... Devaney already seats 13,500.  It's not as if a couple of thousand more seats would be a huge expansion.  It would be an amenities upgrade as much as anything.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Stargazer, is correct during the Nee heydays conference games were almost a guaranteed sell-out. And DTO, since you poo-pooed Linkin5's logic, by your logic if Central out grows their gym they should move into a 17,000 seat arena. Sounds logical to me. Again, can we just go back to the fact that you (and other posters) HATE to see any city other than Omaha progress. I am already prepared that once a design comes out for the arena, that it will be a "big old radial tire" or some other BS. eOmahaForums....insecurity in the internet age.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Arena Plans Would Bring BIG Changes
He expects his property value to increase if an arena is built to the north. And he’d like to some day develop his three-story headquarters into perhaps a bar, restaurant or entertainment venue on the ground floor with lofts on upper floors.

Another five-story brick building his company owns across the street to the north, formerly Nebraska Pump & Supply, would make great loft apartments, he said.

In his travels, he’s seen how many cities build arenas near old downtown areas — just as Omaha transformed a once-trashy area between the airport and downtown.
Current “site concepts” put together by arena supporters indicate several businesses would be displaced by parking garages and lots, but Morgan and 2015 Vision spokesman Kent Seacrest say it’s too early to say exactly which businesses would need to move.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

The writing in that article is pretty atrocious. :barf:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yes I'm the poster child of insecurity.  We all post pictures of us in dresses online. :)

I'm have expecting the arena to have a corn kernel texture.
DTO
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Swift wrote:The writing in that article is pretty atrocious. :barf:
Holy |expletive| that is exactly what I was think when I read it.  If the author would have started one more paragraph with the word "where" I would have freaked out.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

My favorite part of reading these articles is the reader comments.  One guy claimed that the Qwest Center isn't in downtown.[/right]
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Perhaps the last time he drove through Omaha... he saw the Mid America Center... and assumed it was the Qwest Center.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

City Officially Requests Arena Proposals
Proposals are due Feb. 15, after which the city expects to choose a favorite proposal within six weeks.
The whole project will cost $200 million to $300 million.

Developers can submit proposals for any part of the project that interests them, whether that be the convention center/hotel or arena.

The arena is expected to hold 13,000 to 16,000 seats and up to 20 luxury suites and 600 club seats, as recommended by an outside consultant.

The convention center is expected to be 45,000 to 65,000 square feet, but designed to allow future expansion. The development and operation of the convention center could be handled by the developer or with city participation.

The “upper-tier” hotel is expected to have 350 to 450 rooms, although all numbers are subject to change.

Developers also are encouraged to incorporate commercial, residential, office, service or institutional  uses into their proposals.

“Non-city” entities are talking to Burlington Northern Sante Fe Railway, the largest landowner in the target area, about buying their property in the target area.

Developers are encouraged to show how green designs could be incorporated.

The city will purchase the land for the project, possibly with assistance from 2015 Vision, a private group of business leaders. The city also will work to relocate businesses, if necessary.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

The LJS article has a link to the city website and it appears that a crude rendering has the arena west of Lincoln Station near 7th Street and "P" Street. What is interesting is that (1) I wasn't aware that a formal site was selected and (2) the preliminary plan for that site includes a wing on the arena called "practice." Possibly foreshadowing UNL tenancy/involvement? One of the gripes with the otherwise state of the art Bob Devaney Sports Center is that it does not have a practice facility.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Here is the crude rendering:

Also, there were four different conceptual possible layouts for west haymarket (labeled a,b,c,d) which would have put the arena at either 7th and P or 7th and R I believe.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Oh yeah, THIS IS |expletive| SWEET!!!!  I hope the proposals are unique and look nothing like the Wells Fargo Arena!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Wow, I actually know where that rendering location is.  Looks good... although I'm a little shocked at the cost estimates... sounds like it's approaching Qwest Center territory... but does it include a convention center in the budget?   I guess inflation marches on.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Looks great! Having the old train depot for a front door would be fantastic.

One question, though. Isn't the arena in this picture on top of some existing train tracks? And if so, are those tracks no longer in use?
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

The city and BNSF are in discussions to move those tracks.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Wow, that rendering includes a parking garage...why on earth would they want that.  I would prefer massive parking lots instead.

Looking good!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just putting the rendering on this page:

Which would place it here I guess with O St to the left:

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

CapitalGuy wrote:The city and BNSF are in discussions to move those tracks.
Part of the Master design layout also includes the new tracks that would be moved and also a new amtrak station.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I was wondering about the Amtrak situation.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Coyote wrote:Which would place it here I guess with O St to the left:
There is another map in there somewhere that I saw, but it shows a rendering on the NW edge of the Post Office, about where a fictional 5th or 6th and S Streets would be.  Here is a rough link from google with reference via the stadium and post office:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lincoln,+ ... &z=16&om=1
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

City Zeroes in on Arena Site
On Tuesday, the committee zeroed in on a site west of the post office, which is at 700 R St. That site is supported by University of Nebraska-Lincoln Chancellor Harvey Perlman and Athletic Director Tom Osborne, who replaced Steve Pederson on the committee. UNL officials haven’t formally committed to having their basketball teams be tenants in a new arena, but Perlman and Osborne seem interested.
During the meeting, Osborne said the Athletic Department would prefer the arena be as close to campus as possible and “closer to the stadium, baseball park.”
He also said he’d prefer to see the basketball practice area attached to the arena, rather than separate as envisioned by some site concepts. He said that could reduce construction and utility costs.
Mayor Chris Beutler supports the arena project but has promised voters will decide whether to build a new arena, likely in spring 2009.

From this article, it sounds very clear that the University of Nebraska will be a tenant to this new facility. I have to say I will miss Devaney though. Lots of memories and tradition.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

god those readers comments are just plain stupid.  

i am a bit confused though as to why they would build an arena that has the same "height and size of the Qwest Center," but won't seat as much.  Why in the heck wouldn't they just make it the same size then (which is way too big imo, but still).
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:god those readers comments are just plain stupid.  

i am a bit confused though as to why they would build an arena that has the same "height and size of the Qwest Center," but won't seat as much.  Why in the heck wouldn't they just make it the same size then (which is way too big imo, but still).
A competitve Nebraska basketball team would bring more butts to seats than a competitive Creighton team.  I'm not trying to start a fight here - it's just reality.  I think it would be a mistake for the city to build anything less if they have even a remote inclination to have the Huskers as a tenant, and the Huskers have even a remote intention of becoming competitive (which I think they are).

-Big E
Stable genius.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I think you are right Big E, and slowly it is starting to sound more and more probable that Nebraska wants to be a main tenant to this Arena.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I was in Lincoln all day today and was wondering where the areas for the arena were at. I'm not totally familiar with Lincoln so I wasn't sure where to look.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

West of the haymarket.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Truth be told DTO, it is kind of tough to describe exactly. I think it is going to be in the area of 6th St. and S St., which right now is nothing. I am not understanding logistically how this is all going to work, but we'll see.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is a "Zoomed-Out" map from what is above:

You should know this area DTO, its right across from the Holy Shrine, Memorial Stadium!!!  :;):
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Brad wrote:Here is a "Zoomed-Out" map from what is above:

You should know this area DTO, its right across from the Holy Shrine, Memorial Stadium!!!  :;):

Maybe that's why I didn't see it. You know that place is my Kryptonite. :)
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Big E wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:god those readers comments are just plain stupid.  

A competitve Nebraska basketball team would bring more butts to seats than a competitive Creighton team.  I'm not trying to start a fight here - it's just reality.  I think it would be a mistake for the city to build anything less if they have even a remote inclination to have the Huskers as a tenant, and the Huskers have even a remote intention of becoming competitive (which I think they are).

-Big E
I agree, if Nebraska is good they should fill the place and Matt Davidson and his social theory of basketball will be proved.  I was more taking the angle of other events and concerts.  Will a building that seats less than the Qwest be competitive?
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Five Developers Pitch Arena Proposals
Greg Garfield, a principal with the company, said his company proposed a 15,000-seat arena, 55,000-square-foot convention center, 400-room Sheraton Hotel and parking garages — although the sizes could be refined. The proposal includes a plaza for community events and incorporates “green” concepts into the design.
Dial Realty Corp. of Omaha has also paired up with a national company with experience building multiuse facilities in midsize communities. Dial has long worked with Kansas developer Harpool, Morgan Haney, which is working with Global Entertainment Corp. of Phoenix on an event center in Independence, Mo.

They proposed a publicly financed multiuse arena and entertainment and dining facilities nearby. Dial Principal Rick Kiolbasa said they have clients interested in building a 50,000- to 60,000-square-foot entertainment facility such as Dave & Buster’s, which serves food and drinks and has games.
Dial Realty Corp. of Omaha has also paired up with a national company with experience building multiuse facilities in midsize communities. Dial has long worked with Kansas developer Harpool, Morgan Haney, which is working with Global Entertainment Corp. of Phoenix on an event center in Independence, Mo.

They proposed a publicly financed multiuse arena and entertainment and dining facilities nearby. Dial Principal Rick Kiolbasa said they have clients interested in building a 50,000- to 60,000-square-foot entertainment facility such as Dave & Buster’s, which serves food and drinks and has games.
All of these sound good to me. The possibility of having Nebrasketball and a CHL team as tenants sooths my concerns over arena occupancy. Who knows if the CHL goes well, maybe the AHL will make a return to Nebraska.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

yeah..

Post by Erik »

I think the arena would have enough local usage alone to be able to sustain it..

Not to mention that there is always going to be the surprise events and conventions...

Lincoln is not getting smaller, and with the support of the state which includes high-school events and college events, I really don't see how this will fail..
It's stupid for a capital city as large as Lincoln to have to rely on the aged dumps that they have now..

Go for it Lincoln, it will work out!
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Osborne says NU feels Haymarket Arena is Doable
“I think right now, tentatively, we feel it’s something that’s doable,” the Nebraska athletic director said Saturday. “We’ve taken a look at what it would cost (for the Husker men’s and women’s basketball teams) to leave the Devaney Center and go to a new arena, and we think we could make it work financially.

“But the agreement we have with the city is very tentative. The numbers aren’t really firm.”
“I do believe if you look around the country, you realize a new arena does have some appeal to new recruits and to fans,” Osborne said. “Usually you’ll see a jump in attendance of 10 to 15 percent in a new arena that has nothing to do with the performance of the team.

“It’s a new venue with the opportunity for skyboxes and preferred seating that don’t exist at the Devaney.”

Those skybox opportunities never will exist at Devaney.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Oh yeah.  This thing will be built.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Arena Proposals Narrowed to 2
The field of five development teams vying for a piece of Lincoln’s proposed arena project has been narrowed to Missouri hotel magnate John Q. Hammons and a team led by local real estate developers Robert and Will Scott.
Neither Hammons nor the Scotts have divulged details about their proposals, and city officials have declined to release details about any of the five proposals they received in mid-February.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Hammons' Proposal
Scott Tarwater, executive vice president of development for John Q. Hammons Hotels, said he, Hammons and another executive flew in for the Lincoln meeting.

They offered to build a 250- to 325-room, four-diamond hotel with an up to 60,000-square-foot conference center.

Hammons proposed to finance construction of the hotel — preferably with a good deal on the land — and jointly finance the convention center.
Last month, a Minnesota consultant concluded it would be financially feasible for Lincoln to build a new arena. It also recommended the city work with a developer to build a 30,000-square-foot convention center and a hotel with at least 250 rooms.

City officials have previously envisioned a convention center with up to 60,000 square feet.
He didn’t release details on the design of the hotel, but said all of their hotels are custom-designed. And the company likes to match the hotel with the surrounding architecture — such as the company’s Embassy Suites in Omaha’s Old Market.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

CapitalGuy wrote:Hammons' Proposal
Scott Tarwater, executive vice president of development for John Q. Hammons Hotels, said he, Hammons and another executive flew in for the Lincoln meeting.

They offered to build a 250- to 325-room, four-diamond hotel with an up to 60,000-square-foot conference center.

Hammons proposed to finance construction of the hotel — preferably with a good deal on the land — and jointly finance the convention center.
Last month, a Minnesota consultant concluded it would be financially feasible for Lincoln to build a new arena. It also recommended the city work with a developer to build a 30,000-square-foot convention center and a hotel with at least 250 rooms.

City officials have previously envisioned a convention center with up to 60,000 square feet.
He didn’t release details on the design of the hotel, but said all of their hotels are custom-designed. And the company likes to match the hotel with the surrounding architecture — such as the company’s Embassy Suites in Omaha’s Old Market.

I read where Mr. Hammonds is an avid Husker fan and he is going to be very generous with this project..  That's awesome..
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Actually I believe Hammons is a huge Missouri State fan.

Greg