Pinnacle Bank Arena

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Groundbreaking on Project Oscar was today.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Project Oscar?

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Greg S wrote:Project Oscar?

Greg
Olsson Associates new HQ.  Will have ground level retail and house about 200 employees.  Another great development for Lincoln.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

MadMartin8 wrote:A Civic Auditorium esque front facade, attached to a metal salad bowl. Interesting.
I thought the very same thing at first.  In fact, that is what I thought I was looking at.
I am impressed with the entirety of the new neighborhood that is developing immediately adjacent to the arena.  That is what the MAC in CB needed to have happen.  The CLink sort of has it.  The Sprint Center has the Power & Light, and various hotels.
I think that Lincoln has a winner here.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Let me add that I made my first journey of the year yesterday to downtown Lincoln.  Driving south on I-180 the new arena looms large on the horizon, like some sort of silver/gold space ship.  Very cool.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Testing the Ice rink at PBA

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Testing the Ice???  They have a cooling system now?  I thought they were just running the tubes for later?

Or are they just fitting the dasher boards?
Last edited by Brad on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They didn't say...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just a wild guess, I would assume they are test fitting the Dasher Boards and also the retractable seats that abut up to the boards.  Seems like most places leave the boards up even when there is no hockey for crowd control.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Per the story on 10/11 out of Lincoln there WERE actualling testing the ice.  Sounds like the system was installed.

http://www.1011now.com/localsports/head ... 16951.html

The video at the link says they installed the ice to NHL thickness Specs.

was a scorcher outside the Pinnacle Bank Arena but inside, it was all about the ice. Crews announced that testing of the Arena's ice floor was successful.

That means the Arena can host events like Disney on Ice and college or even NHL hockey games. None of those are on the calendar yet but testing the floor to make sure it works is a vital part of preparing for opening day.

"The ice floor is a very substantial investment for the city. We wanted to make sure everything is working well in it. If we don't play hockey for a couple years we want to make sure everything we installed is functioning properly," said IJ Rosenblum, Operations Manager.

Officials say it was cheaper to get ice floor components in during construction rather than wait till the project is finished.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

And more on the ice from the Lincoln Journal

http://journalstar.com/news/local/arena ... e262b.html

From the 200-level seats, the rink boards surrounding the bowl of Pinnacle Bank Arena looked more like they were encircling a particularly reflective portion of concrete floor than a newly installed sheet of ice.

There was no coat of white paint underneath the 3/4-inch-thick sheet of ice. No blue lines. No discernible neutral zone. And without a Zamboni on hand to smooth the surface, the ice was about as slippery as a bathtub mat.

But the rink didn’t leak. The water, applied an eighth or sixteenth of an inch at a time over previously frozen layers stayed frozen. The in-house cooling system passed its test, too.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

The sight lines for hockey in that arena would be a interesting proposition to say the least.
No posts exist for this topic
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

MadMartin8 wrote:The sight lines for hockey in that arena would be a interesting proposition to say the least.
Why?
lnkS
Home Owners Association

Post by lnkS »

I think the ice sheet is pushed into one "endzone," not allowing the seating to reach down to the ice on all sides of the arena.  

The Barclay's Center in Brooklyn will have a similar issue when the Islanders begin playing there next year.  However, I actually prefer this design for the Lincoln arena because it allows for more intimate basketball seating in an arena where the primary focus is basketball; I don't foresee Lincoln having a permanent hockey tenant that requires such a seating capacity in the near future.

From the LJS:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote:The sight lines for hockey in that arena would be a interesting proposition to say the least.
A lot of them for hockey will be great.  With a steeper arena, more seats won't have an issue with the boards blocking the view of the puck.  Similar to the Civic.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:
A lot of them for hockey will be great.  With a steeper arena, more seats won't have an issue with the boards blocking the view of the puck.  Similar to the Civic.

Greg
You'll have good sight lines for center ice lower bowl, and mid bowl. Look at the sections on and near the ends, and look at the very top bowl.

It's going to be hit or miss. It's a Basketball specific arena for a reason.
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Looking good with the lights on!

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Holy moly Lincoln doesn't even look like the same city anymore! Truly impressive...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Looks great! For as much as I don't particularly enjoy Lincoln, I am actually quite happy that they got this going.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

That was the lighting scheme they chose? It looks even more like a landed UFO at night.

I had to go to Lincoln this past weekend and it's amazing how much this sticks out compared to all of the buildings/construction around it. It takes up the horizon when you are on 180.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Arena wireless provider hopes to make it all clear
RICHARD PIERSOL: Lincoln Journal Star wrote:Boingo is designing and will deploy and manage a neutral-host, multicarrier distributed antenna system, DAS, providing mobile voice and data coverage throughout the 15,300-seat Pinnacle Bank Arena. It'll be ready for the opening, Boingo says.

So anyone attending a concert or game at the arena can count on uninterrupted wireless service inside, assuming their wireless carrier signs on.

Verizon Wireless, with the biggest share of customers in the state, acknowledged it's on board to participate. Others are expected.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

City takes possession of new arena
JORDAN PASCALE: Lincoln Journal Star wrote:the city received an occupancy permit and took over insurance liability from Mortenson Construction. Fences came down over the weekend, too, so people can walk up to the front door of the arena for the first time. Marvin said nearly everything should be ready for open houses set for Aug. 29-31.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Major concert announcement for Pinnacle tomorrow at 7 am.
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Nice time lapse of construction

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Cool :music: Thanks Collin!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Ok now it's time for Omaha to build itself a new arena.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MTO wrote:Ok now it's time for Omaha to build itself a new arena.

Nope, Fremonts turn.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:
MTO wrote:Ok now it's time for Omaha to build itself a new arena.

Nope, Fremonts turn.

Bellevue.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Carter Lake
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Omaha, Ralston, Lincoln, Kansas City, Des Moines, Grand Island, now UNO.  Toss in TD Ameritrade Park, Haymarket Park, Werner Park.  I think Sioux City also built a new arena.  Did they all use the same company for the feasibility study?  

Hey, Detroit is working on a street car route up Woodward Ave., our version of Dodge Street.  There is also a proposal for a new home for the Red Wings.  Joe Louis Arena is old.  Bankrupt? Sure but look at our shiny new streetcars!  Detroit.  First in bankruptcy.
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

I find it funny that the OWH is calling it The Pinnacle Arena on day one.   Remember when they refused to call Omaha's new arena the Qwest Center? They lost out on the naming rights bidding and for about a year called it The Omaha Arena. Good times.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

blueblood wrote:I find it funny that the OWH is calling it The Pinnacle Arena on day one.   Remember when they refused to call Omaha's new arena the Qwest Center? They lost out on the naming rights bidding and for about a year called it The Omaha Arena. Good times.
The Omaha Arena/Convention Center.  And it was just another example of the childish behavior of the local monopoly fishwrap.  I've got to believe there were lots of double takes and "You aren't kidding?"s by those who actually write the copy at world herald square.  Some of us decided to call the "Freedom" center the printing plant.  I bet they changed the policy when small children, and those for whom English isn't their first language laughed at the policy.  "Look Mommy! The newspaper is throwing a tantrum too!"
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

blueblood wrote:I find it funny that the OWH is calling it The Pinnacle Arena on day one.   Remember when they refused to call Omaha's new arena the Qwest Center? They lost out on the naming rights bidding and for about a year called it The Omaha Arena. Good times.
I remember that...I thought it looked terrible, here we have a new $291 million facility and the city's main paper refuses to call it by name.  I am sure that looked funny to any out-of-towners that were in town for business or to watch a game and read the newspaper.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Another MAJOR concert announcement due out tomorrow...!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Another MAJOR concert announcement due out tomorrow...!
Lynard Skynard? Jefferson Starship?! LOU BEGA?!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Hardly, I would guess, after announcing Sir Elton...
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Bon Jovi.. Paul McCarthy.. its sickening how these old rock acts rake in the dough.. nice work if you can get it..
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Miley Cyrus and Sesame Street Live!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

NovakOmaha wrote:Miley Cyrus and Sesame Street Live!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah!

Sesame Street Live! Rocks!