Memorial Stadium

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jhuston wrote:Washington was a very talented and experienced team (I say was, because they lose almost all of their best players next season). NU had two very good seniors... but their strength is really still in their youth. I predict they'll get that wire to wire championship next season... and what better way to do it than with a finish in Omaha.
Did we slip into the wrong thread here ??? :wink:
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Finn wrote:Actually, it's the Husker bashers who complain when they see our enthusiasm, rather than "turning it off!"

I wish the papaer would have buried the story so I would have a better chance at getting my tix!
But a lot of the problem is that all of the attention on the Huskers turns otherwise indifferent people into anti-Huskers.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

That is completely lame! :!: If that turns them against the Huskers, then I don't really think that is the kind of fan that we would want.

I am not a Redskins fan, but I like the team and cheer for them in many games. They are known as having a rabid fan base and their games at FedEx Field are like college game atmospheres. But, I would not dislike the Redskins because of all the press they get out here and because of how loyal their fans are (especially since they have not been good for a while), instead, I respect them and their fans for it.
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

Think any of our Linkin :) posters could sneak by and grab a few shots? I've been trying to follow this on Huskers.com but they rarely update their photos and the webcams don't work. Any help would be great.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I'll try to get out there before I go back to school.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I'll go over there Sat when I go back. I just might see you there Linkin5! :D
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Sorry mchine, I couldn't do it today cause I left to late. Another problem I noticed when I got back was I didn't have my USB cord or my software (cd). New camera. If I go back to Omaha later this week I could maybe pick it up and snap a few picks of Omaha and the NU football stadium addition.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Okay mchine, ask and you shall recieve. I went out earlier today to take a few shots and my battery died near the end. So here you go:

1/12/06 - walking toward the stadium from the back (do you like the bigger image or the smaller ones, size wise?)

1/12/06 - looking over the fence around the track

1/12/06 - looking inside the new addition below the new seats

1/12/06 - thats the skywalk connecting the Tom Osborne Athletic Center to the stadium. (this is when my battery died so I had to click fast before it shut off on me. :lol:

1/12/06 - a far shot of the inside (the big metal box will be the huge screen and right below that will be box seats).

Hope you enjoyed them. And on a side note, expect more pictures to be posted on this site because I just purchased the premium service on photobucket w/ 1 GB of storage space. :D
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Thanks for snagging those shots, Adam! The stadium looks like its really getting there - quite an impressive structure. Since you asked, my preference is for the smaller pics just so I can see the whole photo at once.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Thanks for the pics adam!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I'm, not much of a husker fan, but these are lookin good! Now if the university could find some money for those other two sides of th stadium...
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

They're still looking for money for the side which is under construction.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

jhuston wrote:They're still looking for money for the side which is under construction.
Yep, and they are still looking for the money for that Osborne Facility too.
It's the big white building on the right side of the pics. I've heard from a
reliable source that they are going door to door asking for donations
now. He said a lot of people don't donate, and he thinks it's because he
mentions the heated sidewalks so the athletes won't get hurt. Who knows
though?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

adam186 wrote:heated sidewalks so the athletes won't get hurt.
Are we coaching a band pf patsies or what?! that's pathetic
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

Hey thanks a lot, that looks great can't wait to see come Sept.
Calibraskan
Home Owners Association

Post by Calibraskan »

Hey....Thanks for the progress fotos.
Memorial Stadium is a Nebraska Institution...and you don't have to be much of a Husker fan to have a great time at a game!! I'm glad to see that the stadium is being "kept up". 8) Does anyone know if any other college stadium(s) have a big screen like the one going in at Memorial?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

No, to my knowledge the new screen will not only be the biggest in the NCAA, but the largest screen in any stadium.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Just drove by the stadium on my way home from work.. The screen appears to be completely put up, its ENORMOUS.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

All the more to worship with.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So that's how they are funding this stuff. Just saw financial cut backs for the athletic dpt at UNO including some layoffs. Thanks regents.
15-17, 26, 32
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

No, it is a separate budget! The Nebraska football program is self-supporting (and helps support most non-revenue generating sports - baseball is the only other sport in the "black"). This is being financed by contributions and increased ticket sales from the new seating (which includes me!). Can't wait for the fall!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Technically, it's the athletic department that is self-supporting, of which the football (and other sports) are a part. Obviously, though, football makes the dough. I just thought I'd clarify lest someone get the idea that the football program was an entity unto itself. The athletic department also makes sizeable donations to the general student and scholarhsip fund (again, courtesy of the football program).

Wow... with yet ONE MORE correction of Finn, I believe we can finally declare a winner in the Qwest/Marriott/Hilton/Irwin debate. ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

MTO, UNO would be lucky if they would get husker football money. It is pretty much the only husker sport which makes money, the only other one may be baseball.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote:Just drove by the stadium on my way home from work.. The screen appears to be completely put up, its ENORMOUS.
...and it is attracting a lot of attention!

Bugs swarm to see new HuskerVision screen
Daily Nebraskan wrote:According to Bennett and other marching band members, in a Hitchcockian scenario, large numbers of moths have been seen swarming on and around the field since their practices began Aug. 13.

James Kalisch, an extension technologist with UNL's entomology department, said the 4,000-square foot LED television installed this summer generates lots of light. And light attracts certain types of insects.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Want to know who owns a skybox in Memorial Stadium?

Mayor Fahey.... Larry The Gable Guy

The complete list:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10364026
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Want to know who owns a skybox in Memorial Stadium?

Mayor Fahey.... Larry The Gable Guy

The complete list:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10364026
Minor correction:  The UNL athletic department owns them.  The above mentioned are holders of a very costly lease!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Re: Memorial Stadium

Post by Choleric »

Memorial Stadium Expansion
• During my interview with Tom Osborne last week, I asked if NU was considering expanding Memorial Stadium anytime soon. The answer was yes.

"We might add 10,000 seats on the east side someday," Osborne said. "We have to make sure we're OK with the recession and make sure the football is continuing to go in the right direction. That's just pie in the sky right now."

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1921
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That would make the official capacity at about 91,000, but in reality would be about 95,000.  Right now U of Texas has an official capacity of about 94,000 but can seat around 98,000.  I'm sure there would be no problem filling up those 10,000 extra seats if the program continues to succeed, hope it happens.
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Post by Choleric »

I think it would look slick if they replicated what was done on the west side(exterior wise), only instead of clubhouses/pressboxes, they put in a upperdeck similar to OU's stadium. That should cover the 10K

Or in like the upper deck at Tejas

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I have heard rumblings that the 10,000 could include a little smaller suite or press box type of situation than the main one.  It would hold sound like crazy with two tall glass structures on each side.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

BTW, this (along with the recent north expansion) has been pretty much on the drawing board as a "someday" project since the original expansion back in 1994.  But I can't imagine any viable construction plan that isn't significantly funded by the perpetual donor money that comes with suites.

10K seats at even $75 a pop only generates an extra $750K per game.  A couple of suites does that on their own.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

ONLY $750k extra a game?   and I think $750k a game for a couple of skyboxes which lease for ~$90,000 a year might be a bit of an exaggeration...
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

The tickets up there won't come with much extra donation money on an annual basis, unless the program gets back to the levels it was at in the 90s (3% chance of happening?).  I'm actually probably being generous when I say they would generate $75 a seat per game, including donations.  On top of that, you'd be surprised how many of the nosebleed suites are owned by high-dollar donors/corporate sponsors that buy them up in bulk at significantly reduced prices to maintain the sellout streak when the Nicholls and South Dakota States of the world show up for a paycheck.  

Compare that to the money that comes in from the suite leases, PLUS the donations required to have the honor of leasing the suites, PLUS the cost of the tickets in the suites... I might be off on the "couple of suites" doing that on their own, but point remains:

No way no how the thing gets built without suites.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I certainly wouldn't argue that... merely a notion that it would some how be more in their interests to build nothing but suites.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

I would be shocked if this is built anytime soon.  A lot of the seats have been held for decades have no (or next to no) seat license fees.  I know the University mapped out the stadium to determine which seats may be coming up due to deaths, etc. They have formed a group to focus exclusively on attracting new donors as they see a potential problem with finding enough people to pay for all the seat license fees.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Nebraska tests market for stadium skyboxes
“Let’s say we have 30 people who said, ‘Yeah, we really would like a skybox,’” Osborne said. “And if we had 600 or 800 people who said we’d like club seats, and 3,000 or 4,000 people who said they’d like season tickets who don’t have them, then we’d certainly begin to think seriously about (stadium expansion).

Post by Guest »

From what I have read any expansion on East stadium will require the demolition of the existing structure. They cant simply build over and around it because it would come too far onto campus and too close to existing buildings.

SO Itd have to be done fairly rapidly over some offseason and a lot of work through winter.

Post by Guest »

Pretty sure the existing structure is a historical landmark and cannot be demolished. There is room to expand it. It will just require some creativity.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Anonymous wrote:From what I have read any expansion on East stadium will require the demolition of the existing structure. They cant simply build over and around it because it would come too far onto campus and too close to existing buildings.
Other than the proximity to some buildings, this is almost exactly what they did on the west side in 93/94.  I don't see why they couldn't do it again, except maybe on the SE corner.  Even then I think they'd be in the clear.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Maybe we could get our columns back.