City poised for big step toward east

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

City poised for big step toward east

Post by Linkin5 »

An interesting article that effects both Lincoln and Omaha.

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/200 ... 223435.txt

"Conventional wisdom is that pent-up demand exists for housing in northeast Lincoln because of its proximity to Omaha and the Interstate 80 corridor between the two cities. Experience seems to bear that out. New housing developments, such as Regent Heights in northeast Lincoln, have sold much more quickly than predicted."

“The Stevens Creek area eventually will serve as Lincoln’s front door,” Seng said at groundbreaking ceremonies. Officials predict the area could serve another 50,000 to 60,000 residences."
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Link ist kaput. Here's a new one..

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/200 ... 478561.txt

When completed, the east beltway will make this a real attractive area for commuters. Depending on how Sarpy and Cass Counties grow, Hwy 34 may become a major thoroughfare to 144th St./Hwy 50 and Hwy75. The eastern edge of this for Lincoln is their 162nd St., pretty much to the county line. I hope Lincoln has bought their right-of-way for the expressway or this will make property values skyrocket for development.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Thanks for the new link tuna. :)
Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

What is this new belt way they spoke about?
I have not seen anything about it before.
Go west young man.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Personally im kind of shocked the LJS didn’t have this in their peace over Omaha-Lincoln… It is quite big news when it comes to their future growth.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Will wrote:What is this new belt way they spoke about?
I have not seen anything about it before.
Sorry I dug around for a minute and couldn’t find a good link to the project. But what it is abstractly is the eastern or final section of Lincoln’s future built-way. When complete and I can’t remember the timeframe they will have essentially a freeway wrapping around the entire metro. From i-80 to i-80 actually the eastern portion is in place.
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Here is a VERY good link to projects like Lincoln's beltway, West Dodge Expressway, I-80 Widening, etc.

http://www.nebraskatransportation.org/projects/
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

pkiphd wrote:When complete and I can’t remember the timeframe they will have essentially a freeway wrapping around the entire metro. From i-80 to i-80 actually the eastern portion is in place.
PKI called Lincoln a metro! Wonders never cease. Also, I think Jake means the western portion is already complete. That would be Hwy77, aka the West Bypass, which has been an expressway for quite some time now. They're working on an interchange with Capitol Parkway and when that's complete it will be freeway all the way south to Pioneers from I-80. From there they have to finish the Denton interchange and cut off access to Yankee Hill, Rokeby Rd. Either Pioneers or Old Cheney will have access I believe and the other, naturally, will be denied. Anyway, there's relatively little work to be done until you get to teh Hwy77/SouthBypass/Satillo interchange

The timeline for these is naturally long. The Southern section will be built first. Linkin had a great link - I've not kept up on it and am surprised they're moving on the South as they are. The East beltway will not be started for quite a few years yet. Here's a link to the PDF of the final alignment for the South and East Beltways.

http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/pworks/e ... align6.pdf
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

The eastern beltway would have been a great tool for Lincoln. When I lived there, I lived on the SE side...and probably 25% of the drive to Omaha was getting out of Lincoln. Good to hear this project is moving along. It'll do wonders for development of that part of town.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Both beltways are now shelved in the new comp plan due to money shortfalls.
LJS wrote:"The biggest difference is that this time we are required to be truthful about finances," said Dave Cary, a city planner.
http://journalstar.com/news/local/artic ... z1RFNrWYMN
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I guess the only good news from the article is that they will be buying rights of way to the land that will someday be used to build the beltways.  This project really was key to propelling eastern Lincoln's population and encouraging growth towards Omaha for the someday Omaha-Lincoln CSA.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

eh, considering the growth trends in Lincoln since I was a kid, just about everything has been *South* *South* *South* and some North 27th Street.  As fast as Lincoln grows, I don't know that an eastern beltway really would've spurred meaningful development towards Omaha-Lincoln CSA.  It definitely would've encouraged sprawl, as it would just be a faster way to get to I80 and on to Omaha.  There's nothing stopping growth in other directions, such as significant infill opportunities along north 84th, 27th-56th north to I80 and the Hwy77 corridor which would be just as effective in creating more intercity travel with minimal travel time given proximity to the interstate.  With as long as these beltways have been on the table I would not be holding my breath if I were a developer.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

You don't think there would be increased growth in the eastern part of town with a newly built beltway?  People would love it because of easy access to the interstate to get to Omaha faster.  As far as sprawl...I said there would be growth, didn't say anything about it being positive growth :).
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

No, not enough to consider an east beltway some sort of interstate thoroughfare, vitally important to the overall economic engine of an Omaha-Lincoln CSA.  Lincoln's eastern edge has remained stagnant for decades because of the Steven's Creek watershed.  If there's any project which would propel development eastward it would be wastewater/sewer improvements for that watershed.  This is way more impactful than any beltway would be.  It's smart to purchase the right-of-way, for sure, but I have doubts about the east beltway being an impetus for growth.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Here is the Steven's Creek thread from a while back.  There is an article in it about what you mentioned.

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10446
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

almighty_tuna wrote:No, not enough to consider an east beltway some sort of interstate thoroughfare, vitally important to the overall economic engine of an Omaha-Lincoln CSA.  Lincoln's eastern edge has remained stagnant for decades because of the Steven's Creek watershed.  If there's any project which would propel development eastward it would be wastewater/sewer improvements for that watershed.  This is way more impactful than any beltway would be.  It's smart to purchase the right-of-way, for sure, but I have doubts about the east beltway being an impetus for growth.
I absoulutely agree with you that the wastewater/sewer is the most important key to growth in eastern Lincoln, never said otherwise.