2006 Guardians of Freedom Air Show - Lincoln

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

EDITED: Apparently due to runway work at Offutt, they will not be having an airshow this year. In response to this, Lincoln and the Nebraska Air National Guard unit down there are going to host a much bigger show than usual this year, complete with the Blue Angels. As with the Offutt show, it will be held over two days... and they expect as many as 200,000.

Dates: Sept 23/24

World Herald story: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1638&u_sid=2101248
Last edited by eomaha on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Omg, between a Husker homegame and a major airshow I'm staying so far away from there! NW 48th Street, the only way I believe they will be in/out of the airshow (since parking is on the tarmac), is a 2-lane road. What a cluster that's going to be....but it'll be a great airshow!!
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Dude, the airport entrance is off of the Cornhusker Hwy exit from I-80. I'm not sure what the problem would be, since Lincoln has an air show every year anyway. I've seen both the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds at Lincoln air shows in the past. They were at the Air Guard base though, which is right next to the airport. I'm guessing the air show would be at this strip and not at the airport.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jhuston wrote:Apparently due to runway work at Offutt, they will be moving the Offutt Air Show to Lincoln's Municipal Airport this year. The Blue Angels will be at this show as well... something of a military aviation nut, I know I'll be there!

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1638&u_sid=2101248
I think if you read the story they will NOT be moving the Offut show to Lincoln. There will be no Offutt show this year. The story does correctly point out that if you want to see an air show in the area you will need to go to Lincoln Airports Air show held in Sept. Not sure how many years that this has been going on but it is not the first and I would expect it is not the last show in Lincoln.
OmahaRules
Library Board

Post by OmahaRules »

That sucks my parents live right by Offutt and we would sit out in front of our house and watch them fly. They live on 16 acres right by Highway 75. Great view
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Sorry bugeater, I didn't even read the entire article last night as I was getting ready to hit the sack.

Of course Lincoln is just beefing up their own show in light of the Offutt show not being held this year. I have gone to many shows down in Lincoln as well, I believe they are also held annually ... not nearly as large in the past, but good shows nonetheless.

I know what Tuna is saying though... there is only like one long road going in there (that I recall from the east anyway). It will be interesting to see how they handle this year's much larger crowds.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Sorry I posted this story in another thread Jeff, I didn't see it in the Lincoln Forum.

My mother lives in Bellevue about 4 blocks from the old SAC Museum. Every year we sit on her roof and watch the planes. (And I take 1 or 2 pictures of course :wink: ).

Will security be more lax at the Lincoln event? Offut doesn't allow camera bags and my equipment choice is limited to what I can carry in my hands. I like the telephoto lens for the planes in the air, but it is way too much zoom to photograph exhibits on the ground. If I can get my camera bag into Lincoln's event, I may just favor that over Omaha's :shock:
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
murfj
Home Owners Association

Post by murfj »

Lincoln actually does not have an airshow every year- I have lived here in Lincoln for about 8 years now and there have only been two in that time- one in 1998 and one in 2001.

This will be a big airshow by Lincoln standards, I'll be excited to see how it stacks up to the Offutt shows. I live in the airpark neighborhood just west of the airport, so luckily I won't need to fight the crowds/traffic, I'll have a seat in my back yard overlooking the runway/tarmack. Finally a benefit to living out there in what seems like such a far-removed area! :-)
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

There are many points in Lincoln that have easy public view of the airport, so I bet you could sit outside the fence with your camera bag without a problem. There are many points in Air Park, as well as the Highlands Golf Course, or even the north side of Captiol Beach.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

The last time I saw an airshow in Lincoln I watched from one of my favorite vantagepoints, up in a small park by Arnold Heights Elementary. Got to see several planes fly right over us as they approached the fans below on the tarmac.
Aaron
New to the Neighborhood

Lincoln Air Show

Post by Aaron »

I got some decent shots of the Blue Angels flying right over our house. They just finished a few minutes ago, so now I hope the Stealth comes out.

I'll get some pics posted later.

--Aaron
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I look forward to seeing those!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Aaron
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Aaron »

DOH! I forgot to bring my camera into work today. I'll try to get some pics posted soon.

--Aaron
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Great!..

I look forward to seeing them..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!