Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

'Keep right' driving bill exits Legislature

Post by Brad »

'Keep right' driving bill exits Legislature

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=163 ... rnd=366779
The Transportation and Telecommunications Committee wasted no time Monday killing a bill to outlaw driving in the inside lanes of four- and six-lane Nebraska highways unless they were passing or turning left.
I whish this would have passed, "Drive Right, Pass Left" That like the first thing my dad taught me.
State Sen. Marian Price of Lincoln took rejection of her passing-lane proposal, Legislative Bill 909, philosophically.

"This legislation has just raised awareness of a problem," she said. "The responsibility of all of our drivers is that you follow the speed limit and you drive in the right-hand lane
TRY IT AGAIN NEXT YEAR!
In Germany if you pass on the right (or is it left, it is europe) You get in HUGE trouble on the Autobon.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Re: 'Keep right' driving bill exits Legislature

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Brad wrote:TRY IT AGAIN NEXT YEAR!
In Germany if you pass on the right (or is it left, it is europe) You get in HUGE trouble on the Autobon.
You pass on the right in all of Europe except the UK and Ireland I believe.
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

:roll: I'm glad this died. This law might have some relevance out in the country but not in the metros. When I'm on the interstate and I know where I'm going I will move to the lane I need to be in asap. Every lane could be a passing or fast lane. 99% of the interstate traffic ignores the speed limit anyway. If I get on I-80 westbound at 60th going to Lincoln why should I be forced to stay in the right hand lanes until around 96th street then scramble to get to one of the inside two lanes to go to Lincoln.
At some times of the day you would not be able to make the lane changes and you would end up on northbound 680 or West Center road. On 72nd st why be forced to stay right when driving north then try to move left a couple of blocks before a left turn on Dodge?
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
nope, Brad's got this one
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

As with every law, there would be obvious exceptions to when it is relevant and enforceable. That being said, these types of laws are obviously intended to raise awareness, and are really only forced in the most egregious cases.

Maryland (and I'm sure other states, as well) made not wearing a seatbelt in the front seat a primary offense, meaning you can be pulled over just for that. Guess why the Baltimore police love it? Immediate probable cause for gang members/drug dealers. I wonder if that would have any implications on I-80 in Nebraska...

And aside from that, would it really hurt drivers to be a little more considerate hen they're behind the wheel?

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

And aside from that, would it really hurt drivers to be a little more considerate hen they're behind the wheel?
I wish. If you are in the left lane (FAST LANE) and are getting passed on the right, move over.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

For clarification, I agree with you completely. By "more considerate", I suppose I meant "not such a stupid idiot". :) I still say it's far too easy to get and keep a license in this country.

-Big E
Stable genius.
murfj
Home Owners Association

Post by murfj »

Colorado has this law, and it seems to not be a big issue in a metro as big as Denver.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Colorado has this law, and it seems to not be a big issue in a metro as big as Denver.
Isn't Colorado's law worded differently? Everytime I visit family in Ft. Collins they remind me that If I have more then four cars behind me, I have to get over or will be ticketed.

While I would like to see a law similar to this in Nebraska, I think the problem with people turning left on red is much bigger and should take priority over an inconvinence.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Isn't Colorado's law worded differently? Everytime I visit family in Ft. Collins they remind me that If I have more then four cars behind me, I have to get over or will be ticketed.
I like that.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I for one would HATE for this to pass. It's already bad enough going down the rural interstates and highways in the left and and still getting stuck behind some bumpkin. Missouri has a law like this but they let it slide if you're from out of state.

I drive outside of Omaha alot and I like being able to stay in one lane and just go sailing. What's even the point of this law?
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I drive outside of Omaha alot and I like being able to stay in one lane and just go sailing. What's even the point of this law?
To keep the old folks out of your way, my way and everyone else that drives faster that 55.
murfj
Home Owners Association

Post by murfj »

I'm not sure exactly how the Colorado law is worded. When I was there last year I'd see the signs that simply stated that the left lane is only for passing. They were talking on the news out there about it at that time (must have been a new law at that time) and didn't go into much detail except for how the left lane is only for passing, so I don't know much more about it. It's a good idea, simply to keep the slow-pokes out of the left lane as DTO mentioned..... I assume it would be a very difficult law to enforce.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

almighty_tuna wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
nope, Brad's got this one
Err...yea, reverse what I said, and that's what I meant.
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

Personally I think this would be a good law, but at times it might be hard to enforce (other than the really obvious situations)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Well I'm a really obvious situation. If this law would be hard to enforce why bother making it a law?
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

It wouldn't be any harder to enforce than lane-change and tail-gating laws. It would be almost strictly up to the officer's judgment.

-Big E
Stable genius.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

I'm kind of in favor of a law like this, but more along the lines of the Colorado law where if you're holding up a line of traffic, move the heck over.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

DTO Luv wrote:I for one would HATE for this to pass. It's already bad enough going down the rural interstates and highways in the left and and still getting stuck behind some bumpkin.
I guess you're missing the fact that the bumpkin would be ticketed for driving in the left if this law passed. The thing you say you'd hate about the law, is exactly what it's trying to eliminate.

I'd oppose the law, though. As much as I hate left-lane lolligaggers, I don't think the law would solve anything. And it'd just make people paranoid about what lane they're supposed to be in.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

Over in Iowa there are a myriad of signs that say "slower traffic keep right" that seem to be everywhere. I don't recall seeing one in Nebraska, or Omaha in particular. Ironically (or consequently, depending on how you see it), the problem seems MUCH worse and widespread in and around Omaha than anywhere else. Perhaps just adding signs along the left lane would make people aware of the problem.

Semi-trucks are pretty bad with holding up traffic in the left lane, too. Maybe introduce a "no trucks over 6 wheels in the left lane" through Omaha like they have in Atlanta?
Last edited by omaja on Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I’m not in favor of this one for one its just another reason for popo’s to pull people over and another being from Omaha I just see it as a nuisance due to the structure of our freeways.
15-17, 26, 32
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

i think its a nuisance when people go the speed limit in the left lane of freeways and then get passed by me or someone else in the right lane. i have more tolerance for slow drivers on regular streets b/c they have traffic lights and ill have to stop at some point eventually. i do think adding the signs 'slower traffic keep right' as omaja suggested would be a good reminder with no law needed and little cost.