48th & O closing for 1 year

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jsheets
Human Relations

48th & O closing for 1 year

Post by jsheets »

I found this today, that O Street in Lincoln will be COMPLETELY closed from 46th to 52nd. This is a MAJOR commercial intersection in the city, as anyone from Lincoln could tell you. I was surpised to see that they opted for this instead of a 2 year plan that would have kept the intersection open.

TGI Fridays has closed as a result of these plans.
http://journalstar.com/articles/2006/01 ... 025524.txt
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Yeah, there was a big powwow of the businesses along that stretch of O Street. Many voiced that it would be worse to experience two years of front-door construction vs just closing the street down and only putting up with one year's disruption. I didn't take a good look at the article, but I'd venture a guess that TGI Fridays' closing had more to do with their own issues rather than the O Street project. That whole intersection is a "cluster" and won't be revitalized from its designated "blighted" condition by a Walgreens, fast food joint and office building. Of course, while this prime real estate was declared blighted and shorting the city millions in property value and taxes by subsidizing substandard development, Lincoln missed a prime opportunity for downtown residential expansion and tax income. That mayor is back asswards. An expanded O Street will be nice though.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Well this construction really effects yours truly, I live a block away from this construction. I am still wondering if Petco is going to close down, considering it is a very big location.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Wow. This sucks. My uncle owns a commercial building and business near there. This will hurt him.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

That's too bad. It may hurt him in the short-run, but look at it like this, he will more than make up for it in the long-run. :)