Larson Building- 10 Story Tower

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

From the article:
The City will begin negotiations with the Lincoln Synergy Group immediately and prepare a redevelopment agreement that the City Council will consider. That process could take several months.
I would think some of this will be worked out before renderings are finalized.  So we might be looking at a couple months before the unveiling.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

For those interested in seeing some renderings follow the link below:

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/200 ... 350820.txt

The renderings can be seen on kind of a webcast thingee on the upper right of the page. It is called, "take a tour of the plans." The production is somewhere in the range of Westside High School TV, but it gets the job done. I have to say I am pretty impressed with the designs of the buildings although they are not the final ones. Much more sleek that I expected.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I love reading the comments on  the LJS site.

omnione wrote on April 25, 2007 11:55 AM:
"Great decision! I still laugh when "skyline" and "Lincoln" appear in the same sentence, but hey, at least Seng did one thing right before leaving office."

Ben L. wrote on April 25, 2007 12:06 PM:
"You've got to be kidding me. The retirment housing plan was chosen? What a joke!"

This will happen... wrote on April 25, 2007 12:13 PM:
"when pigs fly."

Here we go again... wrote on April 25, 2007 1:04 PM:
"...the retirement project is a "2nd phase" project. In order for it to become reality a number of businesses (including a church) would most likely have to be relocated/razed. The "1st phase" project is the 22 story tower. So, it's not a joke...it's a fabulous idea! Good luck Snergy."

You Gotta Be Kidding wrote on April 25, 2007 1:09 PM:
"This is just unreal. A retirement community downtown, bordering the campus? You people are out of your minds. "

KLM wrote on April 25, 2007 1:13 PM:
"The Retirement Community is just plain absurd and has no place downtown. If Colleen Seng wants to live downtown, she can afford a condo. "

Jan wrote on April 25, 2007 1:18 PM:
"This is great. Lets get it done. Now all the nay sayers can throw there negative 2 cents in. They chose the best plan so I'm not sure what Ben L. is whining about."

Since when wrote on April 25, 2007 1:29 PM:
"do economic development and retirement communities go together?"

omnione wrote on April 25, 2007 1:33 PM:
"Apparently, some people here have "selective reading" where the only see the stuff that allows them to rant. You know, the main project is that 22-story building for hotel rooms, apartments, office space, and retail."

CSS wrote on April 25, 2007 1:39 PM:
"Great decision! Bravo to Seng and all involved. This is ESSENTIAL for our city to continue developing and growing and preventing the "brain drain" that is absolutely killing our community. Also, all of you crying about the retirement community downtown need to educate yourselves: there are already at least two retirement communities within 7 blocks of campus. Get a clue."

Mrs. Johnson wrote on April 25, 2007 1:58 PM:
"The people who congregate on here slay me. They'll find a reason to complain not matter what. The city and the mayor are not doing enough, there doing too much, blah blah blah. You naysayers should go take a hike, or better yet why don't you get involved in politics and do something? "

Wow! wrote on April 25, 2007 2:12 PM:
"Typical how people want to find flaws. This is what Lincoln needs; to show we are investing in our city. It could then lead to furhter investment with new business. Let us not forget that Lincoln has to deal with a skyline that is limited in height by law."

E Jr wrote on April 25, 2007 2:12 PM:
"My wife and I plan to move downtown when we retire. Why do some of you think this is a bad idea? Right next to the university would be a great spot for us. We will watch this project with definite interest."

Mike Honcho wrote on April 25, 2007 2:14 PM:
"The retirement community downtown is probably the ONLY reason this plan was even approved with all all the old people on the commitee, this town is definitely aging. It's a sad sight to see."

Timmy wrote on April 25, 2007 2:35 PM:
"The upscale retirement community downtown is a major trend that has recently been rolling across many cities in the nation, including San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Chicago, and Philadelphia, with the first in New York slated to open next year. Lincoln will be very fortunate to climb on board. For further information see, for example, the April 1, 2007 New York Times article, "Retirement Homes Go High-Rise and Urban." Retirement ain't what it used to be. These are people with a degree of wealth and leisure who desire to live downtown where there are arts, interesting restaurants, and entertainment they can take advantage of. Downtowns benefit greatly from their leisure time and dollars. Aging baby boomers aren't looking to hang out at the Old Country Buffet. Having hundreds of residents downtown with both money and leisure will go a long way in supporting further development in an organic way -- something Lincoln has long needed. In addition, it's providing a new hotel, retail space (please, oh please, let it be devoted to small local shops and eateries) and upscale condos. This is the best news I've seen for downtown in the twenty-five years I've known Lincoln."

Great! wrote on April 25, 2007 2:41 PM:
"This is great for Lincoln. I hope that this will encourage more econimic growth for the city. As for skyline; please remember that Lincoln is limited by law on the height of buildings."

JR wrote on April 25, 2007 2:44 PM:
"It looks as though Mayor Seng saved her best decision for one of her last decisions, and I applaud her for it! As a life-long Lincoln resident who has worked downtown for the last 20 years, I believe the development proposed by Lincoln Synergy Group is an exciting and positive first step. Couple this with the Haymarket development being explored with John Q. Hammons, and now we have an engine to spur revitalization in downtown Lincoln and make it more on par with what is expected of a community of a quarter-million people. For those thinking Lincoln doesn't need this, may I suggest Seward or Beatrice or Nebraska City if it's the quaintness of smaller-town life you desire; and for those knocking the prospect of retirement condominiums downtown...don't choose to live there!"

JJ wrote on April 25, 2007 2:47 PM:
"At least they aren't forgetting to include downtown's lifeblood, another bar!"

57and counting wrote on April 25, 2007 2:58 PM:
"Hey folks, forget the image of a"retirement home" and think of active seniors enjoying all the activities of downtown--and spending money on movies, shows, bars restaurants, shopping. 18-22 year olds are fine, but us seniors got the money and want to have some fun too."

excited but how wrote on April 25, 2007 3:19 PM:
"I'm excited about the announcement and I for one look forward to continued growth in Lincoln and especially downtown. A project like this would have happened with about anyone being mayor. This didn't happen because of Seng. Everytime I see her picture, I'm forced to ask, "How did we ever elect Mayor Seng?" That is a bigger joke than the new project!"

Whoo-Hoo! wrote on April 25, 2007 4:04 PM:
"I will never understand why people complain so much about Seng. This may have happened with or without her, but I think she has done a good job encouraging smart growth in Lincoln. This is a great idea. I think the most negative people in town gather on this board to complain for the sake of complaining. Lincoln should be happy that people are willing to build such projects downtown."

JJ wrote on April 25, 2007 4:08 PM:
"This is a great project that will spur further development in Lincoln...which is much overdue in my opinion. There's always people that will find some way to put a negative spin on it. It's not like we're Chicago adding another huge building, but for Lincoln...this is a really big deal and a step in the right direction to promote economic growth in a city that's been traditionally way too conservative. "

Mabel Lott wrote on April 25, 2007 4:09 PM:
"I hope everything is handicapped accessible because I'm 87 and I'm moving down there. It sounds lovely. I can go to Sheldon and the other museums. "

sounds good wrote on April 25, 2007 4:52 PM:
"Seniors do often have a more difficult time travelling across town and this will give them great access. It should also be a positive interaction for both the seniors and college students, there is a lot they can learn from each other. Great idea!"

Good Work wrote on April 25, 2007 5:41 PM:
"Its better than all the Walmarts they want to build around Lincoln. I thought I moved to Nebraska not Arkansas."

tom wrote on April 25, 2007 6:25 PM:
"There's a lot of empty office & retail space downtown right now. I guess adding another 22 floors of additional empty office & retail space won't hurt anything. Been to the Centrum, Atrium, or Magees building recently? Remember the hole in the ground for the Centrum basement that got filled up because of meager tenant commitment? It sat empty for years, was taken over by private concerns, and still has a lot of vacancy."

thanks tom wrote on April 25, 2007 7:26 PM:
"What a great point Tom! At one time, the Centrum and other buildings was a good project too. It was fun to go downtown and walk through the skywalks and visit the great shops. Where did they all go? Now we want to do it again. Thanks for the reminder."

way to go! wrote on April 25, 2007 8:25 PM:
"yep just what Lincoln needs more empty new retail space may as well have it in all parts of the city this is the only city that I know of In the State that has brand new retail space sitting empty lets keep Wal-mart from building space that will generate tax dollars so we can have empty retail space giving the owners tax breaks not generating revenue I still say build a wal-mart down town that will bring in more business that any high rise or event center "

nemo wrote on April 25, 2007 8:56 PM:
"do you people have an idea how many baby boomers are going to be retiring in the next 15-20 years? yea i do think retirement and economic developement go together"

Thomas Irvin wrote on April 25, 2007 11:10 PM:
"Before everyone gets excited about this new project, the City Council and the people of Lincoln need to see illustrations and mock-ups of how this will affect the Lincoln skyline. If its height significantly blocks the view of the Capitol from either the campus or I-180, people will regret it. But thanks to modern architectural rendering software, we don't have to guess--we can know for sure, provided we demand the renderings be produced."

Gabe wrote on April 26, 2007 12:19 AM:
"I love this step forward! The empty space will fill in again with grocers, discount retailers, and other services. StarTran really needs to keep up with this to make it viable as well (expanding shuttle service, more convenient routes to external shopping markets and eateries), and the demand WILL come. The brain drain isn't all about keeping young people around; it's also about keeping the mentors close to the mentorees. Here's to a downtown to look forward to! "

whatever wrote on April 26, 2007 6:04 AM:
"If you can get significant numbers of people to move downtown this might work. You will also need to have some companies either expand or new companies come in to fill in empty retail space. Relying on college kids to keep things bustling downtown isn't the wave of the future for several reasons. One, the birth rate is too low. Two, tuition is too high. Three, more students will attend tech school not UNL. "

well wrote on April 26, 2007 6:22 AM:
"Lot's of comments about the brain drain. The brain drain that is "killing" Nebraska has been going on for decades. The problem is that now the numbers have finally caught up with Nebraska as the early boomers, World War/Depression era folks are retiring or moving out of the state leaving a severe void in business and political leadership. Not only is the brain drain being felt in the "college educated" areas, but also in the skilled "blue collar" fields. Lincoln is especially feeling the pinch because unlike Omaha, there really hasn't been a vision for the city or widespread recognition that there is even a problem until comparatively recently. I would venture to guess that at this point Nebraska will need to figure out a way to keep at least 90 percent of it's high school graduates in the state, plus bring in at least another 10,000 to 15,000 a year of educated/skilled workers each year over the next 15 to 20 years just to keep even with retirements. I know my generation of boomers was highly encouraged to move out of state to seek opportunity by high school educators and that trend has not stopped as I have watched my children and my friends children grow up. I think this is below the radar of most studies and discussions when figuring out what to do about the "brain drain"."

CS wrote on April 26, 2007 7:25 AM:
"Who cares if it blocks the capitol? Its a building, like any other building. I don't understand such a fascination with a building that no one in Lincoln dares not build higher than. Its pretty yes. Awe inspiring? No. "

Jeremy wrote on April 26, 2007 9:16 AM:
"Yeah build more buildings and offices way to waste our money. It doesn't matter what we do here, like others have kind of hit, Lincoln is a dying commuity, and we are run by those who are stuck in the old ways, and until we lose that mentality, lose the impact fees and all the other things that hold the middle class down, and keep those "In Charge" unaffected by there laws... Screw what's better for us, in their eyes, what is better for the new city!!"
Last edited by DTO Luv on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DTO
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Thank you for posting the rendering DTO, that was beyond my limited tech skills.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Those comments bring back memories from the old Omaha W-H web site back in 2001-2002..Anyone remember that windbag Diane Marie Hayes?..She was a cut-up and a half..

:lol:  ..
Go Cowboys!
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Those comments bring back memories from the old Omaha W-H web site back in 2001-2002..Anyone remember that windbag Diane Marie Hayes?..She was a cut-up and a half..

:lol:  ..
Yep. And then she disappeared into the ether.

Just like the negative comments on this project will.

I'm glad those are "conceptual" renderings as they are not too exciting as is.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Actually, reading through those comments, they're not as bad as I thought.  I tallied them as 19 positive, 11 negative and 4 neutral.

I think "Timmy" summed it up best by referring to the upscale urban retirement trend.  This place isn't going to smell like Bengay and peppermints when it's done.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This looks fantastic!  It will be great to see some large scale urban development in DTL.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

I really hope that light colored areas of the buildings are concrete, stone or the like.  God help Lincoln if the material is EFIS!  Just look at John Q. Hammons Embassy Suites in DTL.  A good memory of mine was when the building fell ablaze during construction.  A bad memory is when the fire was contained and construction resumed.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Those are conceptual renderings.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

I realize edsas, I read the Journal Star article and graduated from UNL College of Architecture
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Not trying to be a pest, H.O., but why speculate on the material breakdown of the concept renders if the actual renders may not look anything like these?
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

because I have seen projects materialize in Lincoln...starting with good intentions...chopped by a budget...and then painted yellow.

The Embassy Suites was supposed to have retail on the lower (street) level...oops!

The Grand Theater was supposed to have retail on the lower (street) level...oops!

I really hope for the best, since I will have to walk past it all the time when I go the Coffee House.  additionally, I am really glad that the city chose to locate the "civic plaza" at that location instead of tearing down the walgreen's at 13th & O (one of the early concepts).

and no, you are not being a pest edsas  :)

Your questioning is valid and appreciated
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Well, I agree with you on all counts.   :;):

Embassy Suites was under construction my final semester at UNL.  They were up to about the 5th floor when I moved away from Lincoln and I thought it was cool how massive the building was, filling up the block like it did. When I returned to Lincoln and saw the completed structure, I thought it looked better while it was still a wood and concrete frame.   :lol:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

http://journalstar.com/media/view/?mid=M462ff1d3d134a

Video on journalstar.com if you haven't seen it, gives different views of tower.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Well, we were wrong about the Synergy proposal, it is not going to have 2 towers, but rather

3 TOWERS
A 22-story hotel and apartment tower would be on the east end, at 14th and Q, while a 15-story office tower would be on the west end of the block, at 13th and Q.
Monte Froehlich of Lincoln Synergy Group said his group’s $180 million plan has always included three towers, the two on the redevelopment block plus an 18-story tower with another parking garage and retirement units across the street to the north.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Exciting stuff!   I'd like to see some infill in downtown Omaha on this scale (say World Herald Square, the Kiewit Conference Center, and 10th and Harney for starters).
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Holy shat.  I don't know if I like where this project is headed.  It seems like it might turn into one of those "visionary" projects, that never goes anywhere.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I think it's still in the realm of possibility, Linkin.  The 15 and 22 story buildings are attached, so it's almost like one block-long tower with the middle carved out.  Not overly extravegant.   :)
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I hope you're right edsas.  I am gonna be VERY dissapointed if this thing doesn't pan out.
tpeterson
New to the Neighborhood

Post by tpeterson »

is there anything new on this high rise??
tpeterson
New to the Neighborhood

Post by tpeterson »

is there anything new on this high rise??
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Some Concern over Proposed Building's High Height
“I’m concerned about the sheer mass of the tower,” he told the Urban Design Committee on Wednesday. “This is going to be a massive building.”
The city is negotiating with Lincoln Synergy Group to build three towers on the north side of the block bounded by P, Q, 13th and 14th streets. The area is the former home of the StarShip 9 theater and Taste of China and Wasabi restaurants.

The towers would be among downtown’s tallest. Synergy wants to build two on top of a city parking garage — a 22-story hotel and apartment tower on the east side and a 15-story office tower on the west. The development group also proposed an 18-story retirement home atop another parking garage across the street to the north.

The developer plans to put a skywalk with a “people mover” across Q Street at least four stories above the street, said Synergy representative Monte Froehlich.
But neighbors with a view aren’t the only ones concerned about the size of the buildings — so is the Capitol Environs Commission, which oversees architectural, landscape and design issues in a 12-block ring around the State Capitol.

Bob Ripley, a nonvoting member, said the Environs Commission is concerned about the high-rises and is “working to formulate a position” on the matter.
The proposed hotel/apartment tower would be 267 feet tall at its highest point. The Capitol is 398 feet tall and the U.S. Bank building 220 feet tall.

However, the proposed height is permissible under city and state laws.
Froehlich said the targeted completion date is August 2010. Synergy’s proposal was selected by the city in April, and negotiations were expected to take six to 18 months. Froehlich told the committee he should have “something to show you” between November and January.
This is interesting, but not at all surprising. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I should have suspected this from the NIMBYs in Lincoln, I am so |expletive| upset right now.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Seriously.

I love how, as the article states, the proposed height is completely legal, so all these nay-sayers shouldn't have ANY IMPACT WHATSOEVER on this development.

And anyway, instead of complaining about the height of proposed buildings DOWNTOWN (not even THAT close to the capitol - the capitol "environs" district is WAY over-reaching in size), maybe the Capitol Environs Commission should worry about the ACTUAL capitol environs, much of which have fallen into decay.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I agree, Streets.

I don't think these NIMBYs will have much effect on this project.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Wal-Mart had the legal authority to build their typical prototypes on 132nd and "L" Street and on 72nd south of Pacific. Nonetheless, plenty of people on this forum were quick to jump on their proposals. This is the trend of the times - design commissions, architectural review boards, etc. These groups weigh in and although many do not have much authority, they may have clout or at least the ability to bring negative press to a development. Thus, it is prudent to work with them.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

The difference between a design review committee and a crotchety ol' bit that doesn't want her view blocked are fairly significant.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

The Capitol Environs Commission is more than that. But, I know what you mean, I have a crotchety ol' bit of a neighbor in SOMA! :;):
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Finn wrote:The Capitol Environs Commission is more than that. But, I know what you mean, I have a crotchety ol' bit of a neighbor in SOMA! :;):
I'm going to tell her you said that.

-Big E
Stable genius.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

High Rise Deal could Delay Project
Negotiations between the city and the Lincoln Synergy Group are taking longer than expected, meaning construction may not start on until 2010 at the earliest.
A market study done by Froehlich’s group completed in December found a “positive response” to what’s being proposed, McGee said.

When proposed last year, the plan included a 22-story hotel and apartment tower on the east end of the block at 14th and Q, with a 15-story office tower on the west end of the block, at 13th and Q.

It also includes an 18-story tower with a parking garage and retirement units across the street to the north.
Because the project includes more than what the city asked for — namely the 18-story building with a retirement center on the block to the north — additional parking is needed.

McGee called parking “the No. 1 issue” in negotiations.
There was also a good rendering of the main building. Hopefully, the more technical savvy of our posters can post it for me.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

This sucks, but I'm not surprised.  

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Looks like the UP building.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

It's a shame they tore down the Starship so early.  What a waste.

I can't believe Lincoln jumped the gun on something like this.  :sarcasm:
Oak
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Oak »

This story just recently appeared a couple of days ago in the Daily Nebraskan.

"An agreement between the Synergy group and the City of Lincoln is expected to be reached later this year, McGee said. He said the next step of the project is to start construction, which Froehlich said may begin in the later part of the year."

http://media.www.dailynebraskan.com/med ... 5350.shtml
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Thanks for posting that Oak and welcome to the forums.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

This has been known for a while but I thought I would just update those that did not know.  This project has been put on hold due to the poor economic conditions.  In my opinion, this translates to the end of this project.  It is a shame this project never came to fruition, and I hope I am wrong, but I believe this project is done.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Yeah, not to mention that the NU folks have completely scrapped their plans for the retirement tower, which was supposed to be part of the whole shebang as well.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

New Catalyst Proposals
Some familiar names are interested in developing the the downtown "catalyst" block bounded by P, Q, 13th and 14th streets.

The city has received two proposals, one from a group led by local developer WRK LLC, and another from the Synergie Group of Des Moines, Iowa.

The city plans to interview each group within 10 days and will make a decision after that, said Urban Development Director David Landis.

Landis released few details about the proposals.

Both would include first-floor retail, with a city-owned parking garage on top of that and then residential units on top of the garage, he said.

While Landis did not provide details on cost or scope, it seems likely the proposals will be much less ambitious than the $180 million, three-skyscraper proposal that fell through because of the economic downturn and a lack of available financing.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Proposal selected for development of catalyst site

Mayor Beutler announced today that he has selected a proposal for development of the surface parking lot on the corner of 14th and Q Streets. The building will have retail on the first floor, 5 levels of parking above the retail, and three floors of apartments/condos above the parking.