Larson Building- 10 Story Tower

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:This is they type of thing that should of happened instead of this joke in Omaha.

A tall creepy looking guy statue, or a psychedelic multicolored weird tower. Not much of a choice there. Both are pretty weird, but it's better than an open lot or surface parking.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

The plaza site is all cleared and looks ready to go.  The tower itself has signage up of Chipotle and MofO, looks like Chipotle is pretty close to opening.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

pharvey0829 wrote:It's a real disappointment compared to what had originally been planned for the site, Certainly not worth getting rid of the starship theater for.
You think so?  I agree that it's not as good as the first proposal but all and all this is way better than what formerly occupied the space.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

pharvey0829 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
pharvey0829 wrote:It's a real disappointment compared to what had originally been planned for the site, Certainly not worth getting rid of the starship theater for.
You think so?  I agree that it's not as good as the first proposal but all and all this is way better than what formerly occupied the space.
I do think so, if they weren't going to build something that was going to change Lincoln's skyline significantly, then they should have kept the starship theater. At least you could see good movies for a low price.
Well they tore the Starship down 5 years ago now with plans for a taller building.  Then the recession happened and a project of that scale became impossible to pull off.

Another developer swooped in and took an ugly parking lot and put a high quality building on it.  I was up on the rooftop patio today, it is really really cool up there.  This building also provides a high quality off campus living option that Lincoln didn't really have before.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
pharvey0829 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
I do think so, if they weren't going to build something that was going to change Lincoln's skyline significantly, then they should have kept the starship theater. At least you could see good movies for a low price.
Well they tore the Starship down 5 years ago now with plans for a taller building.  Then the recession happened and a project of that scale became impossible to pull off.

Another developer swooped in and took an ugly parking lot and put a high quality building on it.  I was up on the rooftop patio today, it is really really cool up there.  This building also provides a high quality off campus living option that Lincoln didn't really have before.
This building turned out to be pretty good and offers infill.  Also, with the ground retail it keeps a nice pedestrian feel in the area.

If you think this:

Is better than this:

Then you may want to have your head checked.
Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahanerd »

I currently live in this building, and it is definitely what Lincoln needed for their college population. Downtown living has really increased for college students these past few years. Plus it is quite a good addition to their downtown in my personal opinion.
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

How many theatres are left in DT Lincoln?  I loved having such a variety when I lived there.  Seems like there aren't many left.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Greg S wrote:How many theatres are left in DT Lincoln?  I loved having such a variety when I lived there.  Seems like there aren't many left.

Greg
When the Grand opened everything else closed down, so there is that theatre and then the Ross on campus.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Larson Building- 10 Story Tower

Post by iamjacobm »

57 foot tall artwork by Kaneko going up.

That is a really cool public square.
Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahanerd »

You can follow @downtownlincoln on instagram to get some more pics. I'm not sure if they have a twitter but i'm sure they do.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Omahanerd wrote:You can follow @downtownlincoln on instagram to get some more pics. I'm not sure if they have a twitter but i'm sure they do.
They do have a twitter handle, as well there is a twitter account exclusively for P street in Lincoln. I wasn't crazy about this public square at first but they did a really good job.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

The concrete around the area is pretty neat looking. It also fits pretty well with its Neighbors in the Coffee House.
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

LJS posted a pic of the Kaneko on their Facebook page:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Love this one with the new student housing and Newman Center peaking up in the background.

Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Love that picture too! 50/50 looks impressive from this angle.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

A mural would look great on that wall.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Collin wrote:Love that picture too! 50/50 looks impressive from this angle.
i don't think the building in the background is 50/50.
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Louie wrote:
Collin wrote:Love that picture too! 50/50 looks impressive from this angle.
i don't think the building in the background is 50/50.
I meant the building in the way back to the right of the Newman Center. :)
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Sculpture looks great!

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice pics Collin, I was hoping that you would post pics of the tower! :D