Larson Building- 10 Story Tower

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Height restrictions for DT Lincoln theoretically allow room for a 25 story building.  If what gets built on this site is anything less than 18 stories I will be deeply disappointed. The idea as stated by city officials was to make an impact on the skyline.  Anything shorter than 200 feet isn't going to cut it.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

If I were Lincoln... I'd go with the Lincoln proposal.
Lincoln Synergy Group’s proposal showed what looked like a building about 20 stories high and another of about 10 stories.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I'd go with that one, too.

I tried to google "Lincoln synergy group" to see if I could find some renderings, but nothing comes up. Would've been nice if the LJS had them in there for us.  :?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

City officials discuss downtown developments
Daily Nebraskan wrote:Since the demolition of the Starship 9 theater on 13th and Q streets - which had been popular among some University of Nebraska-Lincoln students for its low-priced movie screenings - city officials and community representatives have been laboring to implement the steps necessary to construct its replacement: something they've dubbed the "Catalyst One Project."

Last week, three groups submitted separate proposals documenting their visions for how four blocks of downtown Lincoln - and the city's burgeoning skyline - should look in the years to come. The specific details regarding each application are being kept under relatively tight wraps, but the identities of each submitter have been made public: Missouri hotel developer John Q. Hammons, Omaha development company Dial Realty Corp. and Lincoln Synergy Group LLC.

The design submitted by Dial Realty Corp. proposes an approximately 185-foot tower and 40-foot "liner building" that would complement the overall structure.  Bob Welstead, the president of Dial Realty Corp., said the 13-story structure would house a seven-floor 600-stall parking garage, a sports bar, a food court, street-level retail, office space, some condominiums and a hotel.

Under Nebraska's Community Development Law, the first step needed to redevelop an area is a city declaration that an area is blighted, substandard and in need of redevelopment. The City Council declared the downtown area as blighted in 1984 and reaffirmed that finding in 1987. Since then, the city has seen the development of the Downtown Master Plan and groups such as the 2015 Vision Group - all designed to kick-start the redesign of the city. McGee said he saw the "Catalyst One Project" as an essential part to downtown's future.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I'm not very impressed with this rendering or the heighth.  It we can allow for a 275 foot building, then why the heck wouldn't we build it that tall?!  I can't wait to see the other proposals, I hope they are a bit more impressive.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'm holding out for the Lincoln Synergy proposal.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Stargazer wrote:I'm holding out for the Lincoln Synergy proposal.
Me, too.

Destroying the Starship for what's pictured above would be an absolute travesty. Bump the height up by 6 to 10 stories, then I can live with it.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Synergy's proposal is WOW!

http://journalstar.com/news/local/doc46 ... 422267.txt

Their plans call for two towers!  First, a 22 story tower on the Starship site that would be close to Lincoln's 275-foot height limit. The second tower would be built across the street next to The Nebraska Bookstore and would replace the Wendy's that sits there. It would be a 14 story retirement complex for UNL faculty.  Essentially a midrise full of old professors. Kind of cool.   :)

The total cost of their proposal is around $175 million.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

What's the guarantee that retirees would want to live there? Why doesn't FNC build a twin across the street for all of it's retirees then?
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

See the trend emerging here? one proposal has -600- parking stalls... the Synergy one has an eye popping -1400- parking stalls.

These are all apparently nothing more than parking lots for football fans... disguised as residential/office buildings.  :roll:
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association

Post by Whale Shark »

IF this becomes reality, then a huge congrats to Lincoln.  Regardless if your from Omaha or Lincoln, the metro should be thrilled to see a project of this caliber proposed.  With the Antelope Valley project, Lincoln just might be turning the corner in terms of progressive development and growth.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The synergy project would be phenomenal for downtown Lincoln.  I hope it happens!!!

And, edsa, the retirement tower would be 18 stories, not 14!!!!  (maybe it was a typo), and thanks for posting the link.

Although, the "post a comment" feature that the LJS still employs reminded me of the uninformed, ignorant viewpoints that used to prevail at the OWH site when they had that feature.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

What's the guarantee that retirees would want to live there? Why doesn't FNC build a twin across the street for all of it's retirees then?
Seriously, if this project was proposed in Omaha, you'd have wet your pants. Because is it in Lincoln you jump straight to the viability?

You must not have read the article, people want to retire near a university because it is a youthful environment that has a plethora of activities relating to sports and theater/music. Seriously, the FNC example. People retire to get away from work. Why would they want to go back to living near it? It isn't a difficult concept.

Also, and this will make you giddy in your petty insecurity regarding Lincoln, the project is very early in the proposal stage. Nothing has happened yet, hopefully it materializes but it may not.

Either way it is great for Lincoln and Eastern Nebraska in general.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
And, edsa, the retirement tower would be 18 stories, not 14!!!!  (maybe it was a typo), and thanks for posting the link.
You're right!  I misread the article because it stated that there would be 14 floors of apartments. Apparently those floors will sit upon a 4-level parking garage.

22 story and 18 story towers would bulk up Lincoln's skyline nicely.   :yes:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

CapitalGuy wrote:
Seriously, if this project was proposed in Omaha, you'd have wet your pants. Because is it in Lincoln you jump straight to the viability?

You must not have read the article, people want to retire near a university because it is a youthful environment that has a plethora of activities relating to sports and theater/music. Seriously, the FNC example. People retire to get away from work. Why would they want to go back to living near it? It isn't a difficult concept.

Also, and this will make you giddy in your petty insecurity regarding Lincoln, the project is very early in the proposal stage. Nothing has happened yet, hopefully it materializes but it may not.

Either way it is great for Lincoln and Eastern Nebraska in general.
I did read the whole article. If they wanted to build a retirement tower DT here I think it would be stupid too. Omaha is beyond having to have a catch to try to get something like that going. If this happens great for Lincoln but I think they are going about selling this to the public the wrong way. Look at the comments on the LJS site. I left one but apparently it didn't get approved.
DTO
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I can't wait to see the renderings for these two towers!  This will dramatically change our little skyline.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Omaha is beyond having to have a catch to try to get something like that going.
OK. That is ridiculous. Omaha development has plenty of marketing to get projects going.
And, Omaha has plenty of senior-targeted facilities around the city. No, not downtown yet, but maybe that is because Omaha barely had any downtown residential until a couple of years ago and it is still in its incipient stage.
What's the guarantee that retirees would want to live there?
They do market studies for these things just as they did to answer if anyone wanted to live in downtown Omaha a few years ago!
Dfresh
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Dfresh »

The total cost of their proposal is around $175 million....This will happen....when pigs fly.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Finn wrote: . No, not downtown yet, but maybe that is because Omaha barely had any downtown residential until a couple of years ago and it is still in its incipient stage.
How can you say that? Omaha has always had a significant DT residential presence. Take the new residences in the last 2 years and compare the numbers that were around before that and it won't be close to what DT already had. That's a rather uninformed statement. DT living didn't just spring to life with Soma, Beebe & Runyan, or the Paxton.
DTO
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

How can you say that? Omaha has always had a significant DT residential presence. Take the new residences in the last 2 years and compare the numbers that were around before that and it won't be close to what DT already had. That's a rather uninformed statement. DT living didn't just spring to life with Soma, Beebe & Runyan, or the Paxton.
Really, DT Omaha never had much of a residential presence, and if you'd like I can direct you to posts made on this very forum by staunch Omaha supporters who acknowledge this fact.

Again, if this was proposed in Omaha, you wouldn't give a damn about public perceptions, but because of your petty insecurity you are looking for any angle to scrutinize this project from. The comments on the website, I have a feeling, are driven by the dissappointment felt by many that the Starship theater had to close for this project. The Starship was a movie theater (yes, they can be found in the downtowns of cities as well as the suburbs) that was popular with college students and young people.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Let's all lighten up... and celebrate exciting new development in downtown Lincoln.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That was totally cheesy, Jeff, but I agree.  :D
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Actually I was serious. :(
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Interesting, but I produced a report on downtown Omaha residency and the developers and lenders sure agreed with my uninformed decision.

This is great for Lincoln. A project Omaha would want. I hope it comes to fruition!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

DTO Luv wrote:
Finn wrote: . No, not downtown yet, but maybe that is because Omaha barely had any downtown residential until a couple of years ago and it is still in its incipient stage.
Omaha has always had a significant DT residential presence. Take the new residences in the last 2 years and compare the numbers that were around before that and it won't be close to what DT already had. DT living didn't just spring to life with Soma, Beebe & Runyan, or the Paxton.
But as a general statement, DTO Luv is correct here..

And, so as to not throw lighter fluid on a (hopefully) doused fire, this is a great proposed project. One that I hope becomes a reality for Lincoln..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Hammons won't build downtown, but committed to developing a hotel-convention center west of the Haymarket
Hammons, who was in Lincoln Thursday to talk with city officials and others involved with the West Haymarket project, said he has too much on his plate right now to develop a hotel on the downtown block bounded by P, Q, 13th and 14th streets.
Hammons said he remains committed to building a hotel and convention center in conjunction with the city’s proposed new arena.
Hammons said he thinks the project could come to fruition in as little as two to three years.
He said he envisions a 15- to 20-story hotel with 350 to 400 rooms and a “nice” convention center. He even has a name picked out, although he declined to say what it is.
Downtown Lincoln is on the move. In the next 5 years or so Lincoln could be seeing three high rises going up.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Stargazer wrote:Actually I was serious. :(
I know. :;):
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I can't wait to see the renderings for this these new buildings!  Even if you are from omaha or lincoln you have to be excited for the addition of these two new buildings to the someday metro between omaha and lincoln.  Lincoln is long overdue for a dramatic change in its skyline, I think we can all agree with that.  The thing that makes me even more happy about this is that Omaha is going to look at Lincoln trying to replicate what they have already achieved, and keep building kick |expletive| skyscrapers to further enhance the Omaha skyline!
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

The really exciting part about the possible developments coming to DT Lincoln in the next 5-10 years is that these possible 3 towers have the possibility of being in the top 5 tallest buildings in Lincoln. Obviously, the Capitol will stay number 1 at 400 foot, but the 22 story Synergy tower will likely be between 250-275 ft. and the Hammonds hotel and the Synergy retirement tower will each likely be between 185-225 ft. So by 2015 the 5 tallest may be:

1. Capitol - 400ft.
2. Synergy Tower - 250-275 ft.
3. US Bank building 220 ft.
4. Hammonds Hotel 185-225ft.
5. Synergy Retirement Tower 185-225ft.

Not too many cities can say that 3 buildings jumped into their list of top 5 tallest over a 10 year time span.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I can't wait to see some of these projects get underway!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

One thing I admire about Lincoln is they don't feel the need to hit an OH MY GOD with every single project.

Your perfect city would be a never-ending sea of 5 to 15 story mixed used buildings built specifically with the pedestrian in mind.

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Did I miss something? I thought only one building was being selected. How/where would all 3 get built?
DTO
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Your perfect city would be a never-ending sea of 5 to 15 story mixed used buildings built specifically with the pedestrian in mind.

-Big E
Welcome to DC!

It's nice to hear someone say that a great city can be realized without having to build skyscrapers!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Or closer to home... Madison.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Did I miss something? I thought only one building was being selected. How/where would all 3 get built?
One for sure will get built on the block where the old Starship theater was (P,Q,13,14). If the Synergy proposal (22 story tower) is chosen for that location, they will likely also get the go ahead for their project (18 story tower) on the Q,R,13,14 block. And in the most recent LJS story posted in this thread Hammonds indicated that the arena and convention center west of the Haymarket is closer to reality than once thought, and Hammonds has indicated he already has a plan in mind to build a 15-20 story hotel abutting the a convention center that would be owned by him and the city arena. Of course, nothing is set in stone yet but Synergy is competing against only one other proposal (that lacked imagination in my opinion) so the odds are good there. The arena-convention center is a little farther in the distance given the rate of speed that city government moves at in Lincoln.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

CapitalGuy wrote: Not too many cities can say that 3 buildings jumped into their list of top 5 tallest over a 10 year time span.
No, but Omaha can!  It would be great to see Lincoln do the same.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Synergy's two-tower plan gets the nod:

http://journalstar.com/articles/2007/04 ... 350820.txt
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Fantastic!

Has Synergy not put forth some renderings of this project?  I don't believe I've seen anything from their proposal.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Congrats to Lincoln!..

This looks to be a great development for downtown..

Ciao..
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Stargazer wrote:Fantastic!

Has Synergy not put forth some renderings of this project?  I don't believe I've seen anything from their proposal.
I have not seen any renderings either.  Although I cannot wait to see what these two buildings will look like!!!!