Larson Building- 10 Story Tower

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Looks like a great, mixed-use plan that will add to the density of downtown Lincoln. I'd like to see more of this type of development in Omaha.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Full Article on Selected Proposal for Catalyst Project
The city chose Urban 38, a collaboration involving local developers Will and Robert Scott and The Woodbury Group of Utah, to develop the block bounded by 13th, 14th, Q and P streets, Mayor Chris Beutler announced Friday.

The $27.1 million plan calls for a nine-story building with 20,000 square feet of first-floor retail, five levels of city-owned parking and three floors of 48 two- and four-bedroom apartments.

It covers the entire north half of the block, including a small strip building that has several fast-food restaurants. Will Scott said the building is already under contract to be bought.

And it incorporates the city's civic plaza concept at 13th and P, where the Douglas 3 theater stood.

While the plan is a far cry from the $180 million, three-skyscraper project proposed more than two years ago, Beutler said he's pleased with it.

"We believe this proposal fits the site well and also fits into the urban design character of downtown Lincoln," Beutler said.
The city gave a vague time frame for the likely start of construction, saying it would be sometime next year.

But Will Scott said "barring any crazy events underground -- "hopefully we don't run into Jimmy Hoffa" -- work could start as early as spring.

Zach Wiegert, a former Nebraska and NFL football player who is the lead developer with Woodbury Corp., said the project will require five to six months for design work and 14 to 15 months for construction, meaning it would likely be late 2011 or early 2012 at the earliest before the project is complete.
Wiegert said there are no agreements with retailers yet, but he said Woodbury has already talked to potential tenants. He declined to name them, but said some would likely be new to Lincoln.

Among retailers Woodbury has worked with on other projects that don't have Lincoln locations are clothing stores Urban Outfitters, Forever 21 and Anthropologie.
There is a rendering of the building in the article. However, posting an image to this board far exceeds my meager IT abilities.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

My_Skillz > meager

Stable genius.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Some articles regarding the Catalyst Project from the local rag

New Designs for Catalyst Project Unveiled
Architects did try to use elements in the facade similar to the vertical characteristics of the Stuart, Sharp and First National Bank buildings, said Dan Grasso, architect with Sinclair-Hille.
The building, to be built on the block bounded by 13th, 14th, P and Q streets, will include first-floor retail, six stories of parking and three stories of apartments at the top.
Details of Catalyst Project
Restaurant: There will be a Chipotle at the same corner where it is today. That restaurant is the chain's most profitable location in the state, Landis said.

The developers are building an interim location for Chipotle and have promised them the corner location in the new building.

Apartments: The apartments on the top three floors will be aimed at young people and students. There will be 55 two- and four-bedroom units with central living and eating areas.

No bad bars: Residents of University Towers, who had mixed reaction to almost 200 college-age neighbors, do not want rowdy, noisy bars on that first floor of retail. Neither does the city, said Landis.

And written into the redevelopment agreement is a bad bar exclusion: The retail space cannot be used for a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol if the business "in the opinion of the City, has an unreasonable pattern of unlawful disturbances or alcoholic beverage law violations."
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

And written into the redevelopment agreement is a bad bar exclusion: The retail space cannot be used for a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol if the business "in the opinion of the City, has an unreasonable pattern of unlawful disturbances or alcoholic beverage law violations."
Is this the "go get drunk on O Street" clause?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Glad to see progress on this.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Residents of University Towers, who had mixed reaction to almost 200 college-age neighbors...
Who moves to downtown Lincoln and is upset by college neighbors?
lnkS
Home Owners Association

Post by lnkS »

almighty_tuna wrote:
I think it is the "Don't allow Brother's to move here" clause.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

lnkS wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:
I highly doubt that.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

almighty_tuna wrote:
lnkS wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:
I highly doubt that.
I believe he's referring to Brother's the bar which everyone and everything should avoid.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

So, like Brothers=Parliament?...for the douchey factor?
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

City Council Approves Catalyst Project
Camp was the lone vote for his amendments and the lone vote against the agreement that he said will bring a CVS store with off-sale liquor and student apartments to downtown Lincoln.

"Mixed use has a nice ring to it," Camp said, "and I agree with the concept."

"But when you look beneath the surface," you will get two restaurants, a CVS with a liquor section, apartments for 192 university students, and very expensive public parking stalls, he said.
And the 32-year-old Hornung likes the top-floor apartments, most with four bedrooms around a central living area, aimed at young people in school or just graduated.

It's a good thing to have housing aimed at young graduates who want to stay in your community, he said.

Camp, who praised the building's attractive appearance, said, "I really want to support this. It's not bad."

It will be a university housing project built by a company with an excellent track record who will make sure it is well supervised, he said.

"But I don't know if it's up to the city to subsidize university housing," he said.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://journalstar.com/business/local/a ... b646a.html
It's beginning to look a a bit like progress in downtown Lincoln.
Mayor Chris Beutler held an official "ground breaking" ceremony at the Catalyst project Wednesday, but work actually began last week on the block bounded by P, Q, 13th and 14th streets.
The video at the bottom of the page has some good renderings in it.  It looks like a great get for DTL.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

was just in Lincoln prep work is going on for this.  Can't wait to see it start going up.
mrgoldsmith23
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mrgoldsmith23 »

They started demolition of the Chipotle/Coldstone Creamery/Quizno's strip today. Watched the demolition of it myself. So the project is moving along.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

mrgoldsmith23 wrote:They started demolition of the Chipotle/Coldstone Creamery/Quizno's strip today. Watched the demolition of it myself. So the project is moving along.
I might have missed it in an earlier post, but are any of these tenants going to open in thew new building?  Chipotle and Coldstone seem like a good fit for the new building.  I've seen a lot in new urban developments and they seem to be perennially popular in university settings.  They were both in the campus part of downtown at the University of Illinois where I went to school (along with Potbelly's and Noodles & Co., as well a bunch of cool local joints).
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It's mostly parking garage/housing.  I think CVS was mentioned.
lnkS
Home Owners Association

Post by lnkS »

Seth wrote:
mrgoldsmith23 wrote:They started demolition of the Chipotle/Coldstone Creamery/Quizno's strip today. Watched the demolition of it myself. So the project is moving along.
I might have missed it in an earlier post, but are any of these tenants going to open in thew new building?  Chipotle and Coldstone seem like a good fit for the new building.  I've seen a lot in new urban developments and they seem to be perennially popular in university settings.  They were both in the campus part of downtown at the University of Illinois where I went to school (along with Potbelly's and Noodles & Co., as well a bunch of cool local joints).
Part of the deal was that Chipotle would get their corner location back, I believe.  In fact, the developer constructed a temporary location for Chipotle a block or so away; it is near a Noodles and Company.

Slightly changing the topic, I'm pretty sure that Noodles and Company and Chipotle can't exist without being within a one block radius of one another.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

lnkS wrote:Slightly changing the topic, I'm pretty sure that Noodles and Company and Chipotle can't exist without being within a one block radius of one another.
I would agree with that.  At U of I, they're adjacent to each other.
mrgoldsmith23
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mrgoldsmith23 »

They are just about finished with the clean-up from the demolition of the strip that once held Chipotle, Coldstone, Quiznos.
mrgoldsmith23
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mrgoldsmith23 »

Demolition clean-up finished.  Lots of dirt movement now.  A sign is up saying that Chipotle will open up temporarily in early March at 14th & P Sts.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Was in Lincoln over the weekend and the crane is up on this site.  As well, the Chipotle right next to Noodles and Co. looked finsished and said "Opening Soon."  Cannot wait to see this project all done.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Yeah I saw that too, forgot to get a picture though.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I can't find anything to confirm it, but I am assuming the only casualty in this is the strip that housed Chipotle, Cold Stone, and Quiznos (besides the buildings that were already torn down)? Because the buildings that front "P" Street are rather nice, and contain a BW3, Planet Sub, and a coffee house of sorts. It would be sad to see both the buildings and businesses go. I was at the BW3 about a month or so ago and they didn't show any signs of closing.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Those buildings are on the southside of the project facing P street and will not be torn down.  There is an alley which separates those buildings from the project.  I would have been completely against this project if it had planned on tearing those buildings down.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That's what I assumed, but the articles I read kept saying "bounded by 13th, 14th, P, and Q Streets" without clarifying that it won't take up the whole block.

The most recent article mentions a "future Civic Plaza" at 13th and P. Are there any details on that?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:That's what I assumed, but the articles I read kept saying "bounded by 13th, 14th, P, and Q Streets" without clarifying that it won't take up the whole block.

The most recent article mentions a "future Civic Plaza" at 13th and P. Are there any details on that?
The civic plaza is caddy corner from this project and is on the land where the Douglas 3 movie theatre used to be.  When Douglas (now marcus theatres) opened up their new Grand Theatre downtown they closed all of their smaller theatres including this one.  The land that this building was on is being used by the construction company to put their equipment on and I assume when the building is done they will create the civic plaza.  Truthfully, I have never really understood the Civic Plaza idea, it seems as though this is a waste of prime real estate to sell and construct something great.  This is located right by the university so it isn't like there is no other fountains or gathering places around this.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Anyone happen to know the progress on this?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:Anyone happen to know the progress on this?
I'll be in Lincoln this weekend to check it out.  I'll post some news.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Anyone happen to know the progress on this?
I'll be in Lincoln this weekend to check it out.  I'll post some news.
Nice!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I actually ended up in Lincoln last night.  It is a floor off the ground, but I am most impressed with it's footprint.  It is massive can't wait to see it finished.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:I actually ended up in Lincoln last night.  It is a floor off the ground, but I am most impressed with it's footprint.  It is massive can't wait to see it finished.
got to see this project the last couple of weekends and it looks great!  It was well worth the wait to have this awesome of a project go up near campus.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

It's about 3 floors up or so as of Saturday evening.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

almighty_tuna wrote:It's about 3 floors up or so as of Saturday evening.
Thanks for the update tuna.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It looks to be about 6 floors off the ground as of last night.  That is probably about the end of the parking garage and the apartment part should be taking shape soon.  This thing is going to add some major density to the area.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:It looks to be about 6 floors off the ground as of last night.  That is probably about the end of the parking garage and the apartment part should be taking shape soon.  This thing is going to add some major density to the area.
It looked to be on the same floor when I went by on the 6th.  Its going up kind of slow for a concrete structure.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Shot from this article.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/govt- ... mode=story
But within the next two years, city leaders hope to transform the southwest corner of the block into a striking downtown gathering place, to be called the Lincoln Civic Plaza.

The city will use the talents of Lincoln architectural firm Sinclair Hille and internationally known, Omaha-based artist Jun Kaneko, whose work includes the Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and the Water Plaza in Kansas City, Mo.
Lincoln's Urban Development Department anticipates spending about $3.15 million in tax increment financing and donations to turn the 14,000- to 18,000-square-foot corner into a multi-use plaza.
Awesome that they are getting Kaneko!  I actually think the civic plaza will be cool now that the plan is more clear.  It should be a nice addition to the project.

EDIT: Had the wrong picture got it fixed now.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Got a look at the progress this past weekend.  It has to be close to topping out.  This thing is going to be great for UNL and Lincoln.  I would love to see a project similar to this in Omaha soon.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:Got a look at the progress this past weekend.  It has to be close to topping out.  This thing is going to be great for UNL and Lincoln.  I would love to see a project similar to this in Omaha soon.

It looked to be at the seventh floor when I was in town last night don't quote me on that though was a little shmammered.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Got a look at the progress this past weekend.  It has to be close to topping out.  This thing is going to be great for UNL and Lincoln.  I would love to see a project similar to this in Omaha soon.

It looked to be at the seventh floor when I was in town last night don't quote me on that though was a little shmammered.
Saw it this morning some of the cladding on the outside was on it should fit in well with the other buildings downtown.