Lincoln's Lofts

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

almighty_tuna
City Council

Lincoln's Lofts

Post by almighty_tuna »

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/200 ... 054636.txt

Its almost a play on words, Lincoln's Lofts, but "Options" is really a 6 story retail/loft project in the north part of the Haymarket. The Journal-Star reports it as a high-rise, while perhaps only technically, it will still be at least 2 stories above the other buildings in the Haymarket area. The big story for me is that its NEW construction, not a renovation. That is ignoring that there really aren't any buildings of this scale in that area to renovate and the existing building must be demolished. The downside is the hefty pricetag of $200,000-$400,000 each. I'm not surprised at the asking price, but certainly disappointed given its proximity to the University and the general feel of the area. A relative of mine lived (rented) in an apt in a renovated building on the south side of the Haymarket, perhaps 4 blocks away from the "Option". It had a most remarkable ambience and urban romance which almost felt like you could step outside and hit the subway. The rent was reasonable and the apartment, while not large, felt comfortable hosting a wireless network and stainless appliances or laying down some grunge over a overdriven Marshall. Perhaps that's my urban ideal, and not the uber-priced NewUrban. I will give it kudos for seeking the specific retail mentioned. And here's to hoping, really really hoping, the Butternut building gets the goahead to rebuild in the near future.

Pardon the rant its late (or early i guess, depending on how you look at it) and i'm feeling particularly cynical. I will have to drive by Tip-Top on the way home to get them spirits up! (and here's to hoping they do that right the first time, too)
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Fantastic news.

Still waiting for something to impact the Lincoln skyline, though. The city has a decent cluster of highrises, but the skyline has remained unchanged for how long? 25, 30 years? And Lincoln is over 50% bigger than it was 30 years ago.

Perhaps once the Antelope Valley Project redfines the eastern edge of DT, a developer will be inspired to put in something in the 15 to 20 story range.
Last edited by edsas on Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

The latest thing to impact the skyline is the Embassy Suites at 10th & P. I believe its 9 or 10 stories. Fact is, there really won't be any significant changes because Lincoln is stuck in the wannabe small town mindset which has prevailed for years upon years. There is a height limit of 275' in the Lincoln Center Business District zone and 75' west of 9th street for the haymarket. This is, if I remember correctly, to ensure the State Capitol stands out as a landmark. Also I don't think the demand is there, especially the corporate demand. Lincoln Benefit Life for example, who occupied the 3rd and 4th tallest buildings in DTLincoln, built new headquarters at the edge of east Lincoln at 84th & Van Dorn instead of continuing their DT presence. There's a lot of space to be had in DTLincoln. Antelope Valley, IMO, will bring a lot of attention to the east downtown area, but I have doubts that it will stir the development its expected. Perhaps some small commercial, but that's it.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I don't think the Embassy Suites impacted the Lincoln skyline much at all. As for the height limit, 275' is plenty tall to make a bump in Lincoln. I'd settle for 250' or even 200'. Regardless of there being a glut of open DT office space prompted by the Lincoln Benifit move, the fact remains Lincoln is a steadily growing city with no signs of slowing down. One speculatively developed 20 story building isn't going to push the glut to critical mass or anything. It'd be nice to see a developer roll the dice on such a project.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I think the Embassy Suites building impacted it as much that before it was just an empty parking lot. The entrance to DTLincoln from I-180 looks more "crowded", so to speak with a 10 story in place of that lot. Also, if Lincoln doesn't allocate more land, there may be a reason for slowed growth!! hehe
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Sounds like a great project for Lincoln, and it will get rid of another surface lot. During my time at UNL, I was able to get to know the developer, Fernando. He seems to be one of the best developers in Lincoln, with very good intentions.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Anyone have a website for this project?

Madison is a good example of what can be done with midrises for a skyline. Lincoln can do plenty even with a height limit.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Tuna,

That's true about the Embassy's roll as an infill building. Not unlike UP in Omaha, I guess. And yes, it's always nice to get rid of an empty lot. :lol:
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Has anyone seen renderings of this loft building?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I like the way the DTL skyline looks coming on I-180 and on I-80 looking over that beach thing. I've never heard about the 275ft. limit I just thought they couldn't have anything taller than the dome or sower. Have their been any new developments in Lincoln's plans to build a new arena?
DTO
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Here's a thread revival for you....

The Option Lofts turned out nothing how it seems they were originally planned. Instead they're a lot like SOMA, but are...get this...four story town homes. I toured the model while at the Husker game last weekend and they are my idea of what the ideal row home would be.

http://optionlofts.com/

What was probably the most unique thing about the model (which was the priciest of all of them at about $525,000) was that it had the option of being fitted with an elevator. It makes it sound like these lofts promote laziness, but again, it's a four story unit and an elevator could come in handy. The first floor includes a garage and a living space designated for "home office." The second floor has the living room with fireplace and kitchen as well as a small balcony over the front door. The third floor had the master suite and guest bedroom. And the fourth floor had a "penthouse" secondary livingroom with a large rooftop patio. AAAAANNNNDDDD....a clear view of memorial stadium from the south windows. It's basically a yuppy Husker fan's paradise. I wish I had remembered my camera and I would have taken pictures...it was pretty impressive. The penthouse is actually a lot larger than this rendering depicts. The model I went in was the corner unit closest to the viewer of this rendering.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Nice.

Yeah, some 'Californians for Nebraska' and the like... will probably snap them up for a weekend home.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:It makes it sound like these lofts promote laziness, but again, it's a four story unit and an elevator could come in handy.
It's more likely promoting sales to people that might not be able to handle stairs as they live out their days in their retirement home.
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:AAAAANNNNDDDD....a clear view of memorial stadium from the south windows. It's basically a yuppy Husker fan's paradise.
I can't imagine the torment going on inside of DTO right now...  Downtown Lincoln becomes the urban mecca of the midwest, but it's populated entirely by retired conservative Republican Husker fans.   :;):

-Big E
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Looks great.  The design is VERY similar to that of SoMa.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
blueskyomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by blueskyomaha »

Too bad this same developer couldn't get his act together for the Brandies building!
Coyote
City Council

Re: Lincoln's Lofts

Post by Coyote »

Hicks: Fake bricks falling off Lincoln condos
Lincoln Journal Star wrote:But instead of real brick, or even thin brick, the developers used faux brick — cement board siding — on the upper stories of the condominiums at Seventh and R streets. Now, less than seven years after it was built, the fake brick is being replaced with a decorative metal shingle.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I'll bet they won't try that again! Serves them right. Would've been better-off painting the wall to look like brick.

What they need is an big flat-screen video wall, so they can make it look like any material they want. They had a backdrop like that on American Idol this year. Very cool. (but expensive)
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I was looking at downtown Lincoln on Streetview today and noticed that Lincoln's loft game is on point right now. There are a couple notable ones that I didn't find mentioned in the Lincoln forum.

Arena Lofts

The Arena Lofts were really interesting to me in that they were built on top of and around two existing buildings. Something the OPA could take a few notes from:
NGC Group wrote:The Arena Lofts are part of the $32 million Tool House redevelopment project. It has proven to be a challenging yet rewarding project. The Arena Lofts is the anchor of the Tool House redevelopment, with the challenge of constructing 68 living units and a rooftop bar between and on top of the original buildings built in 1891 and 1922.

8N Lofts

At 801 N St, and catering to students, the building itself doesn't look too special, but the amenities look awesome.

"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

:beye:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Gustatory! Get a life husker nation.
15-17, 26, 32
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Needs more red.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

It's catered to students, what's wrong with going with school colors? Geez. Three negative comments on two otherwise positive projects for Lincoln.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

I think the building looks quite amazing
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Louie wrote:It's catered to students, what's wrong with going with school colors? Geez. Three negative comments on two otherwise positive projects for Lincoln.
MTO is a special kind of stupid. Thinks he knows everything, doesn't know anything,
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Linkin5 wrote:
Louie wrote:It's catered to students, what's wrong with going with school colors? Geez. Three negative comments on two otherwise positive projects for Lincoln.
MTO is a special kind of stupid. Thinks he knows everything, doesn't know anything,
Cmon now...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

No matter it's still pathetic.
15-17, 26, 32
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Neat looking buildings. They fit into the overall downtown style that surrounds them.
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Upscale student housing is a big market right now. Less students are living in the North Bottoms equivalent neighborhoods in college towns across the country in favor of housing like this. Between parents willing to put their kids up in a nicer place and students willing to take out larger student loans to afford this type of living there are plenty of people to fill these buildings up.