Gateway Mall...

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebrwesleyan
Home Owners Association

Gateway Mall...

Post by nebrwesleyan »

This will be great for Lincoln. However, the last line is what made me mad. "I'd rather have (customers) shop there than drive off to Kansas City or go online," People from Lincoln shouldn't be going to KC, they should be coming to the big "O" What is she thinking? Anyway, here is the story...

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/200 ... 755458.txt
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Hmm, while that may very well be some of that "Nebraska outside of Omaha bias" everyone keeps clamoring about, you can't deny that KC is a regional shopping hub that offers retail options that aren't available in Omaha.

Even after Jordan Creek, I still find myself going or wanting to go to Minneapolis, Chicago or KC to find things that aren't available here.

That sounds like one heck of a mall makeover. $45 million is no joke, you could even build a no-frills lifestyle center for that cost!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

There's a bigger different between KC and Omaha.

When Lincolnites come here to shop at stores they don't have (and there are plenty of them)... they're more likely to buy from stores they DO have.

So of course the last thing these people are going to want to acknowledge is shopping in Omaha.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Westfield ShoppingTown Gateway Mall? This sounds like Nebraska Flatwater Metroplex. I'm not a mall person anyway but the times I was there it did seem like it was going in the way of Southroads.

Yeah. I was surprised to see that people would drive to KC before Omaha. Lots of people make the trip to Omaha that live in Lincoln. I know Lincoln gets alot of rural shoppers. My Auburn family will go to SouthPointe or Mall of the Bluffs because they think Omaha malls are to crowded. But if they don't have it anywhere else they will give in and come here.
DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

DTO Luv wrote:Westfield ShoppingTown Gateway Mall? This sounds like Nebraska Flatwater Metroplex.
Its named such because of the Australian company which bought Gateway Mall. Apparently they name all their malls "Westfield Shoppingtown". The "Gateway" was retained to keep the perception that its still your neighborhood friendly Gateway Mall.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

DTO

How long has it been since you have been to Gateway? IT is Nothing like Southroads. Have you been there since you they enclosed the outside portion? That is the point where they turned the corner IMO. They are a good mall, and I enjoy it as much as any Omaha mall. End up in both since I live between the two. Better make the trip to Lincoln some time it sounds like to me.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I went last year when visting family. I also went to that South Point one too. Gateway was much less active compared to the new mall hence the Southroads comparison. Does Omaha still have a Cookie Company? I know we did at Crossroads, but not anymore. Gateway has one though.
DTO
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

DTO Luv wrote:. Does Omaha still have a Cookie Company? I know we did at Crossroads, but not anymore. Gateway has one though.
Yes, Oakview does. My girlfriend works there.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

So, can we ask for the eomaha.com free cookie offer?
Linkin5
County Board

Re: Gateway Mall...

Post by Linkin5 »

Rumor is the Granite City that is being torn down for the Gateway expansion is going to be a Dick's sporting goods.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Linkin5 wrote:Rumor is the Granite City that is being torn down for the Gateway expansion is going to be a Dick's sporting goods.

They are being torn down but only after their new location is finished and they move but are still located at the mall. Move should take place sometime in the spring / summer. Sorry, I do not know exactly where the new location is on mall property but I am guessing it is already started so it should not be hard to spot.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I wish the food court still had an Arby's. Maybe they could put in a Burger King or a Raising Cane's in there?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Some very positive news for them:

Ross Dress for Less has signed to take over the former Forever 21 Space. 23k square feet.

Dillard's just bought the 100,000 square feet former Younkers. It's right next to the Dillard's store that has 150,000 square feet. Will be interesting to see what they do next. I worked at that Younkers store for a time in college and it was weird how you could just open a door and right out of Younkers and into Dillards. At the time the Younkers was a Brandeis and the Dillard's was Miller and Paine.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:38 am Some very positive news for them:

Ross Dress for Less has signed to take over the former Forever 21 Space. 23k square feet.

Dillard's just bought the 100,000 square feet former Younkers. It's right next to the Dillard's store that has 150,000 square feet. Will be interesting to see what they do next. I worked at that Younkers store for a time in college and it was weird how you could just open a door and right out of Younkers and into Dillards. At the time the Younkers was a Brandeis and the Dillard's was Miller and Paine.

Greg
That was most likely for easy access to Miller and Paine cinnamon rolls originally.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:08 am
Greg S wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:38 am Some very positive news for them:

Greg
That was most likely for easy access to Miller and Paine cinnamon rolls originally.
The crazy thing is, I worked on Xmas season at Miller and Paine downtown (I think the final one before they got bought by Dillard's) and never had one of their cinnamon rolls. I didn't have really surplus funds in college, plus at the time had not developed an appreciation for those.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

It looks like the Sears area of Gatewall Mall might be coming back to life with redevelopment

A couple of little nuggets from the story
Reserve Development, a Texas-based developer, purchased the space, including the former Sears tire and car repair area that will serve as a Tesla service center.
The $36 million project would bring in three new tenants, that have yet to be announced.
The City said there’s also a separate part of the redevelopment plan that would include the former Meginnis Ford Company Auto Dealership. “It’s a separate owner and a separate developer. And their plans include 70,000 square feet of commercial space, and then 300 living units that would be there, that would be apartments,” Hind said.

https://www.1011now.com/2024/03/27/prop ... kOPPKppJdM
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:31 am It looks like the Sears area of Gatewall Mall might be coming back to life with redevelopment

Proposed redevelopment plan could bring new life to former Sears store

After sitting empty for five years, a proposed redevelopment project is looking to bring shoppers and new life to a vacant area of Gateway Mall.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:31 am It looks like the Sears area of Gatewall Mall might be coming back to life with redevelopment

Reserve Development, a Texas-based developer, purchased the space, including the former Sears tire and car repair area that will serve as a Tesla service center.
The $36 million project would bring in three new tenants, that have yet to be announced.
The City said there’s also a separate part of the redevelopment plan that would include the former Meginnis Ford Company Auto Dealership. “It’s a separate owner and a separate developer. And their plans include 70,000 square feet of commercial space, and then 300 living units that would be there, that would be apartments,” Hind said.

Pretty impressive how they are keeping Gateway Mall thriving. This only adds to that. I got an email this week that the Rally House that's going in at the mall is opening soon.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:55 am

Pretty impressive how they are keeping Gateway Mall thriving. This only adds to that. I got an email this week that the Rally House that's going in at the mall is opening soon.
I get to Lincoln a lot but haven't been in Gateway since probably pre COVID. I am going to have to go there one of these days.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:16 am
Greg S wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:55 am

I get to Lincoln a lot but haven't been in Gateway since probably pre COVID. I am going to have to go there one of these days.

Yeah the last few years I have rarely left downtown/campus area. I did go do a drive through Pioneers Park in February, and it was as great as I remember.

A few weeks ago youngest was competing in the state high school DECA competition and forgot a couple items so I had to run them down to him. On my way out of town I swung by Gateway to check out the Dillards expanion into the old Younkers store (I worked there my freshman year). Also grabbed lunch at Taco Inn (my freshman year they had one on R St, right off campus).

Greg