Tommy Lee reality show at UNL?

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Actually...after watching that clip...I want to watch the show. It looks hilarious! LOL He actually looks kinda cute...no wonder Pam keeps going back to him (I NEVER thought so before).
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

<<<<
He actually looks kinda cute
>>>>

LOL... Yeah, THAT'S why... :shock:

-Average E
Stable genius.
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

Here's an OWH review of the show. http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1458&u_sid=1475365
One word describes Tommy Lee's stay at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Corny.

And the pun is intended.
Footage combines shots of Lincoln and UNL landmarks, including the State Capitol and the college's bell tower, library and football stadium, with blue skies and colorful leaves.

Because of that, initial episodes bode well for dear ol' Nebraska U, Chancellor Harvey Perlman said earlier this week. He has seen the first two installments and appears in the first episode.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Woa Aaron and I so went to school with Natalie and her sister.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I know...crazy.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Is it just me, or was she a lot prettier in highschool?
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Swift wrote:Woa Aaron and I so went to school with Natalie and her sister.
An old neighbor of mine is dating her now.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The first two segments aired last night.
First impression: I hate the fake british accent announcer.

Tommy Lee is in way over his head. They put him in classes he has no business being in - since he was a HS drop out - they knowingly set him up for a fall.

If he were not Tommy Lee he would have never made the marching band. You get then sense that he will fail at everything except picking up women - the only thing he is good at.

Nebraska comes off rather well - Natalie - who turns out to be QB Mike Stuntz' Girlfriend:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=1484723
makes a good representative of attractive midwestern women - but look at her resume posted at the NBC website:
"The Tutor"

Born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska, Riedmann graduated from VJ & Angela Skutt, a private high school in Omaha. She will receive her college degree from UNL on May 7, 2005 with a major in Psychology-Humanities in Medicine Program- Pre-Medicine. She will then go on to attend medical school at The University of Nebraska Medical Center in fall 2005.

Riedmann's academic achievements prove that she is well equipped to be Tommy's tutor. She was honored as a UNL Superior Scholar for graduating in the top three percent of her college. Furthermore, she was on the dean's list every semester and has been given many other academic awards. She has experience in teaching/tutoring, as she was a teaching assistant for both the chemistry department and the psychology department.

With her strong academic achievements, Riedmann aspires to be a doctor and has shadowed many different types of doctors to help give her direction. She's very dedicated to making this dream a reality, which is evident in her abundance of volunteer work and on-campus work within the medical field. She is a state & nationally registered Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-B), and has ridden alongside the Omaha Fire & Rescue Department and helped patients in a variety of medical situations. In addition, Riedmann was a neuroscience research assistant in the UNL Behavioral Neuropharmacology research laboratory for a year and a half. She reinvigorated the Humanities in Medicine club on campus and served as its president for two years. Riedmann has also volunteered weekly at St. Elizabeth's Regional Medical Center throughout her college experience. One of her most endearing volunteer projects was when she coordinated an event on campus to raise money for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Not only has Riedmann achieved success in the classroom, but she is also the 1st runner up and winner of the swimsuit competition at the 2005 Miss Nebraska USA Pageant. Riedmann also keeps busy with her sorority, charity events and dancing. Within her sorority, she is the scholarship and standards chair. She has helped out with numerous charity events such as the Nebraska Aids Walk, Relay for Life, events for The Lighthouse, American Red Cross, Breast Cancer Research and the Make-a-Wish Foundation.

Riedmann's favorite experience from her time with Tommy was when she and Tommy switched roles and he taught her how to jam on the drums.
Pictures found here: http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Tommy_Lee/photos ... html#photo

His roomate is a dork - but better than the first three he interviewed. A couple teachers seemed flakey - but they are professors after all.

All in all UNL comes off in a good light so far.

When Perlman gave him the 10 lb Student code of conduct and told him he had to follow it - Tommy became a true freshman. He gets grilled by the band staff and students - there are at least 5 drummers there better than him - although he is used to a different set. Supposedly he wil start his own fraternity - so the party has yet to come.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I actually thought it was decent. Staged but funny. Tommy came off as a pretty nice guy - friendly, witty yet respectful and polite.

And the campus looked great, nice aerial photos.
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Finn wrote:I actually thought it was decent. Staged but funny. Tommy came off as a pretty nice guy - friendly, witty yet respectful and polite.

And the campus looked great, nice aerial photos.
The aerials did look great, though did anyone else notice that they were outdated? When they showed aerials that had the stadium in it, it had the old press box, which means that the aerials are at least 7 or 8 years old. Overall, I thought the episodes were corney, but did make UNL look decent.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

I guess it could always take a turn for the worse, but overall I'd say it makes UNL look fantastic. I'd expect the university to see a considerable increase in interest from out of state. The aerial of Lincoln even looked impressive.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

What a great show - I really enjoyed it. I am going to make sure to watch every show, even if I have to cut out of my planning studio early. And I should have known that the famous Football Physics professor would be his mentor...
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I had high expectations for the show and it met them. Like Finn said, staged but funny. The shots of campus make me homesick.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I thought the show was good and everyone else I watched it with thought it was good too. It was cool seeing Lincoln and the U on NBC, so it really begs the question is this interesting or funny for people who have no connection to Nebraska?
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

I liked it (and also disliked the corny british narrator). It's definitely worthy of a slot on my Tivo's SeasonPass list! Maybe even a top 5 slot...
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Linkin5 wrote:I thought the show was good and everyone else I watched it with thought it was good too. It was cool seeing Lincoln and the U on NBC, so it really begs the question is this interesting or funny for people who have no connection to Nebraska?
I think it may be particularly funny to Nebraskans, but this show has wide appeal way beyond the state's borders. The creators of the show were really smart about this. They took some college movie cliches (like those found in Revenge of the Nerds, PCU, Old School etc.) and fit them nicely into their "reality show" paradigm. A screenwriter couldn't have written better scenarios than what's come up in the first two episodes alone. And the show starts out following a very script-style format. These early episodes illustrate Tommy's fish-out-of-waterness (rock star in acedemia) and his earnestness to fit in. He'll probably hit rock bottom in the middle of the season, followed by redemption and some kind of certificate of achievement at the end.

Anecdotally, a friend of my wife called while we were watching the show last night. She works for the LA Times, attended UCLA and is a native of Southern California (never lived anywhere else). I answered the phone and she said, "Oh my God! Are you watching? Tommy Lee is at your alma matter!"

I told her, yes we were watching. And she went on about how funny the show is and how she was just like Tommy Lee in chemistry class. Completely lost. She related to it from a college-experience point of view, as will most of the rest of the country who have attended college.

For the record, I like the narrator. He fits the tone of the show to a T. The segue into Tommy needing to set priorities to survive at Nebraska (cutting from the back-up to tutor to a party with sororiety girls) was perfect. The faux-snob narrator gives us an audio wink-wink-nudge-nudge. I thought it was great.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I know what I like about the show:

http://www.fhmus.com/girls/trouble/

Got it bad, got it bad, got it bad...

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I loved it when Tommy thought Natalie was coming to his dorm room (not - he was at the Federal Place Apartments, 9th & P) and it was the sub-mistress - the look on his face (priceless) - and then the lecture he got from her, she looked like she could whoop him.

Form a husker forum:
Tommy probably thought his tutor would be some geeky guy,” says Natalie Riedmann, a recent psych graduate from the University of Nebraska. Instead, he got this 21-year-old to tutor him for NBC’s reality show Tommy Lee Goes to College. Now it’s time for Natalie to present her final lesson.

Tommy loves pits!
“When it comes to hitting on women, Tommy is direct. He said he loves my armpits and told me that I have beautiful feet. No guy has said that before. Should I be weirded out?”

Tommy knows greenery!
“I’ll admit it: Tommy is smarter than I had expected. He studied hard, too, especially when it came to horticulture. He’s passionate about trees, plants and bushes.”

Tommy endangers livers!
“One night I asked Tommy to get me a drink. Next thing I knew, he was pouring Jack Daniel’s into my mouth straight from the bottle. That’s Tommy’s idea of fetching a girl a drink. It’s not mine.”

Tommy never quits!
“During filming, Tommy wasn’t allowed to hook up with coeds, and I wasn’t allowed to hook up with him. We flirted with each other, but I’m a good Midwestern Catholic girl at heart. He still sends me text messages, though. He’s very persistent.”
Tommy Lee was on the David Letterman show the other day - gave him a winter cornhusker knitted cap.

And on Jay Leno the other night:
Tommy Lee goes to college at the University of Nebraska and becomes a Cornhusker. Now folks I don't really see Tommy Lee being a Cornhusker. Tommy should have went to the university of South Carolina and been a "gamecock."
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Yeah so i was just watching VH1 and apparently they are picking the show up too, it airs every Friday the commercial said.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Somewhere I heard it was Friday and Saturday - can't confirm that though.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

FWIW - the show pulled a 2.5 and a 3.0 for the 9:00 9:30 EST shows It's a gentleman's C for 'Tommy Lee' Tuesday

Tommy Lee likes gardening "I think I was a tree or something in a past life." - Tommy Lee

"University prepares for debut of Tommy Lee show shot on campus"
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The Tommie Lee effect seems to be having a PLUS impact for UNL..

From today's W-H:

'The University of Nebraska-Lincoln chancellor made the call last fall to allow Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee to star in a reality show on campus.

It has received an overwhelmingly positive response, Perlman said.

The day after the first episode aired, more than 200 potential students signed up to receive information on the school. Every Wednesday, a day after "Tommy Lee Goes to College" is broadcast on NBC, hits on the college's Web site take a substantial jump.'..

The W-H story link:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1458&u_sid=2016097

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I guess it is good, .......but kind of sad!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Yeah..I know what you mean..

You would think that UNL, and the quality education it provides, would stand more on it's own merits as an institution of higher learning..And be able to attract more students nationwide..Without the help of a 'reality TV series'..As a UNL alum myself, at least that's what I'd hope for..

But I guess you take what you can get..And the national exposure sure seems to help..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Maybe he was thinking "It worked for UC Berkeley and the Graduate!" :D

Tommy Lee ain't no Dustin Hoffman. :wink:
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

Tommy Lee ain't no Dustin Hoffman.
On the other hand, UNL ain't no Berkeley either.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

UNL numbers up - is it Tommy Lee?

No one can say for sure, but publicity from the rocker's TV show may have helped enrollment.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1640&u_sid=2199150
15-17, 26, 32