Tommy Lee reality show at UNL?

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omahaopinions.com
Home Owners Association

Post by omahaopinions.com »

I doubt Tommy Lee has serious intent to complete his college degree. This is going to end up being a show about partying with the college ladies and a lot of beer drinking. I don't think this will result in anything positive for the university.
OmahaOpinions.com - Express your opinions!
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

He said he was not familiar with Motley Crue.

"I'd rather it have been the Moody Blues," he said.
LOL! :lol:

Or better yet, how about Lawrence Welk or the Glenn Miller Big Band Orchestra.

Old. Curmudgeons.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Why not Petulia Clark or Nancy Sinatra? I wanna see those boots do some walkin.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Regent Drew Miller said he hopes the show, whoever the star, will portray the university in a positive light.

He said he was not familiar with Motley Crue.

"I'd rather it have been the Moody Blues," he said.
:roll:

Great publicity.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

We don't take kindly to that loud rock-n-roll music in these here parts. Dad gum hippies.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

How could you be a Moody Blues fan and not at least have heard of Motley Crue??
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

LOL!

I love it.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

You beat me to posting this Jeff. I heard them talk about it 89.7 the River the other day. HOPEFULLY Tommy will make his way to Omaha like the OM and WE can get some tv exposure. People will say,"Omaha. That's where Tommy Lee partied." Their could be some plusess to this for us. Maybe Ozzy could enroll in Creighton. :P
DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

ImageImage
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

:lol: Ah f**kin luv the Jays man.
DTO
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

Just what TV needs. Another reality show, starring yet another B-list has-been, about yet another subject we already know about, spewing Hollywood stereotypes about yet another part of the country.

I swear, if a network TV exec ever had an original thought, his head would explode.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I am in Lincoln right now actually, and on the front page of Fridays paper was Tommy Lee walikng around LIncoln in a Corn head hat. People are oohing and awing for him in some of the pics. I said next Monday that he will try out to play drums on for tha band at UNL. I wonder if he'll make it? :roll:

On the bottom of todays paper in LIncoln it had one of those things where they interview people and ask them questions. The ? of the day was what should Tommy do while in Lincoln. These are the 6 responses they got.

1. Party everywhere. Jennifer wiser, 20
2. Get another tattoo so he never forgets us. Merici Vinton, 23
3. Sit through a Husker football game. Travis Holm, 23
4. See the roller skate museum. It's the only one in the entire U.S. Christina Paulsen 24
5. Go to the Royal Grove and the firing range. Shawn Burke 18
6. Go to a Husker game and check out Pita Pita. Daniel Bloemker 22

Not to surpised with the responses. It seems the only thing for a rockstar to do in Lincoln is drink, shoot rollerbladers, get tatooed up, and watch a Husker game.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Rocker turned reality-tv star Tommy Lee walks past the Nebraska Union after getting his NCard, buying his textbooks and schmoozing with fellow students. Lee is the star of an NBC reality show that will follow him for the next five weeks as he lives the college lifestyle.
Rock star gets ready for class on first day as student

Clad only in Husker-red athletic shorts and a foam corncob hat, rocker Tommy Lee sauntered out of the University Bookstore dressing room and gazed at his reflection in a mirror.

“Yeah dude, I’m official,” he said while admiring his lanky frame, a patchwork of tattoos and Husker pride.

Two film crews and a 20-person production team scrambled through hoards of onlookers and flashing cameras Thursday, following the former Mötley Crüe drummer while he began taping the NBC reality show documenting his return to college.

Lee acted more like a 12-year-old set free in a toy store than an aging 42-year-old rock star. He played dress-up with the bookstore’s racks of Cornhusker merchandise and stumbled through what he called “more books than he had ever seen.”

“I’ve only been here a couple hours and already really love it,” Lee said. “I am taking some cool classes and I’m excited to party, do the whole college experience.”

Steve Westenbroek, university bookstore assistant director, said producers planned the storyline involving Lee’s first day on campus with University of Nebraska-Lincoln officials earlier this week.

Westenbroek said producers purchased most of the clothes Lee modeled on camera prior to filming. The rock star will wear the gear to Saturday’s football game.

More than one event of the reality show’s first day of filming lacked actual reality.

Crews re-shot scenes of Lee holding his mountain of books because they wanted a variety of camera angles, and producers instructed students recruited from the crowd exactly how to act with Lee during filming.

Crew members spotted Holly Fricke, a sophomore fashion merchandizing major, among the crowd of wide-eyed students and wanted the “pretty girl” to help Lee find the textbooks for his history of rock, horticulture, chemistry and English courses.

Because of copyright laws, producers swapped her adidas sweatshirt for a Husker pullover, and then put Fricke in front of the camera.

“I was really nervous about being so close to Tommy Lee because he is a celebrity and Hollywood, which is so different from UNL,” Fricke said. “But he acts just like someone our age.

“And of course I liked when he kissed me on the cheek.”

Lee squeezed in pictures with bookstore employees and signed autographs for student fans in the rare minutes between shots.

Gasping with excited breaths, Kasey Pepper, a bookstore employee, held an autograph Lee wrote for his daughter, Haven.

Pepper said the hype of Lee’s controversial lifestyle is exaggerated.

“Some people disagree with things he’s done in his life, but a popular name is going to get a lot of criticism,” he said.

“The students at UNL are pretty diverse. (Lee) is not going to be much of a distraction because he is not that different from a lot of students of campus.”

A cheering crowd of enthusiastic students greeted Lee as he carried his six over-stuffed bags of clothes and his $1,685.75 bill out of the bookstore.

In his first day on campus, Lee also visited the University Recreation Center and residence halls.

The day was not his first taste of Nebraska, he said. Past Mötley Crüe tours made stops in Lincoln and Omaha, but tight schedules limited free time to explore the area.

“When you are playing a show, you’re in, you’re out and you don’t get a chance to stay for very long,” Lee said.

Jason Martinez, a junior elementary education major, said Lee’s presence is a double-edged sword.

While it’s invigorating to have a celebrity at UNL, he said, the attention Lee attracts would be a nuisance until students get used to him and the camera crews.

Chancellor Harvey Perlman sent an e-mail to UNL staff and faculty Thursday addressing concerns with the reality show.

In the e-mail, Perlman said he did not approve of Lee’s past behavior, but Lee agreed to follow the Student Code of Conduct while in Lincoln.

“Education is one of the ways a person can redeem himself for past mistakes,” Perlman said. “While recognizing the risks, we decided the potential for our recruiting efforts was worth it. I hope that it turns out to be the right judgment. I am tempted to say something like, ‘if it doesn’t work you can vote me off the island,’ but I’ve already used that line.”
Image - Image - Image
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

We all know that this will just be a stereotype-ridden disaster.

I'm going to watch it, of course, because I care about how Nebraska is portrayed to the nation and world.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised, but we'll see.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Also, has anyone heard what the name of the show might be?

I'm predicting something like "Washed up ex-rocker exploits UNL, its students, the city of Lincoln, and the state of Nebraska, all of which already suffer from enormous inferiority complexes and will play directly into the steryotype-ridden plots of this 'reality' show: The Show"

;)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I don't think this show is going to play up "hick" stereotypes nearly as much as college stereotypes, e.g. "the frat party". Lincoln's dt/campus core is full of diverse and interesting people. It will be hard for the producers to completely weed them all out (if they even intend to). This is not the same as Hilton and Richie in the Ozarks. This is a college town of 250,000 people and that's probably how it will come across when the show airs. I know how Hollywood producers think. The hook is a bad-boy, high-school dropout rock star in an academic setting. That will be the primary source of laughs and entertainment. The fact that they chose a Midwestern setting is a secondary aspect. Yes, I'm sure they intend for some cultural clashes (i.e. rock star with "former" drug habit goes to "wholesome" Midwest city), but as an NU alum, I can attest (as well as some others here, I'm sure) that UNL can hold its own in the realm of drunkiness and debauchery. :P
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

You're probably right, edsas :) .
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They had something about hat girl in the Lincoln paper when I was their. Tommy Lee had his books already paid for by the producers and they staged a moment where they had a so called "hot girl" to help Tommy find his books. It's supposed to be some kind of innuendo for the show.
DTO
Kristi
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Kristi »

I think I am going back to school. He looks good in red :wink:
Fashion advisor to the Haute Pooch pupulation.
http://www.luxepetboutique.com
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Tommy Lee in uniform:

Image - Image

Tommy Lee plays with college marching band

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Drummer Tommy Lee has played plenty of stadium shows with his band Motley Crue. But none was quite like his performance with the University of Nebraska marching band before 77,881 red-clad football fans.

"Oh yeah, it's real different," Lee said of Saturday's halftime show at the Baylor-Nebraska game in Memorial Stadium. "That was awesome, absolutely great."

Lee is in Lincoln filming a prospective NBC-TV reality show in which he takes classes at Nebraska including chemistry and the history of rock 'n' roll. If the show makes the cut, it is scheduled to air on NBC in July.

He tried out for the marching band's drum line earlier in the week.

Lee, 42, joined the band in the stands in full uniform, playing along with other drummers, a broad smile on his face.

Lee took part in the band's Latin music halftime show, playing a rack of five tom-toms carried on his shoulders. A cheer went up from the stands as Lee was shown on the stadium's giant TV screens during a rendition of the Cuban song "Malaguena."

Lee also came out of the stands twice to man a hand-held compressed-air cannon that shoots hot dogs into the stands. "It's awesome, dude," Lee exclaimed after his first shot. "You can launch a wiener."
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Those quads are no small feat! Would have been neat to hear him go nutso with them. /bandgeek
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Everything I've seen of this so far, Tommy looks like he's having a heck of a good time. I can see this show boosting the school's out-of-state attendance a little. Perhaps UNL can break the 25,000 mark.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Look like Tommy's coming!

From CNN.com
Tommy Lee at school, and other realities
It's summer, and TV has many reality shows in store
"Tommy Lee Goes to College" trails the photogenic rock star as he enrolls in the University of Nebraska -- trying out for the marching band and cramming for exams. It starts August 16 on NBC. No word on whether Lee will talk about the lawsuit he and his bandmates in Motley Crue filed this week against the network for barring them from NBC shows.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I want to see that disease infested loser’s transcripts…. Ha.
Actually I’m quite jealous. After getting Pamela plus what ever else and then going to a mid-west U. WOW he is getting some tail. Lucky!
15-17, 26, 32
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Link to a trailer for the show:

http://www.thebuzz.com/tommylee-walmart.wmv

At least from the trailer they're not playing the "Simple Life" angle.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

looks good (may be because I am a Motley Crue), I might watch.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

He hung out with some of my friends in Lincoln, and at one time I had a big fall break party, and these friends were coming up to Omaha to party at my place, Tommy was going to come with them but something came up. That would have been sweet if he partied at my house, he would probably trash the place for TV ratings but it would have been totally worth it. :)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I just saw an ad for this on NBC. It's called "Tommy Lee Goes to College" and it airs August 16th.

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Tommy_Lee/
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

And, holy |expletive|! The "hot girl tutor" is Natalie Riedmann. I went to high school with her. Sylee, do you remember her? she would have been two grades older than you.

I do think the hot tutor thing is a little much, though.

But Natalie will definitely be a "positve" image for Omaha and the state. Omaha born, attractive pre-medicine major, who will start on her MD back at the med center in Omaha. Good stuff.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I saw that ad last week here in DC. I am still a little worried about this "reality" show! Actually, I think that it will show many (especially East Coasters) that Nebraska is not that different from the rest of the world.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

And just from looking at the web site, it does look like in the end it will definitely have a positive effect on the state and the university, and I would imagine it will definitely increase enrollment.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:And, holy |expletive|! The "hot girl tutor" is Natalie Riedmann. I went to high school with her. Sylee, do you remember her? she would have been two grades older than you.

I do think the hot tutor thing is a little much, though.

But Natalie will definitely be a "positve" image for Omaha and the state. Omaha born, attractive pre-medicine major, who will start on her MD back at the med center in Omaha. Good stuff.
yes i know natalie, she ran track with me back in highschool, she actually tried out for the role of the pink ranger when power rangers were looking for a new one. I guess it came down to her and one other girl. My grandparents are good friends with her grandparents, so im familiar with the whole family.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's probably a pretty accurate prediction, BigE. :)
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

You guys are overthinking it. The "podunk" angle is one too many angles for Hollywood produces. I'll guarantee you that the focus of the show was always "dumb rockstar inhabits acedemia". The fact that the college happens to be in Nebraska is an afterthought. "LA gliterati in the land of bumpkins" has already been done. "Rockstar in college" is clearly the angle and it would have been the same if Tommy had gone to CU in Boulder, FSU in Tallahassee, UT in Austin or Ohio State in Columbus. Nebraska will fare well in this show. And, from the interviews I've seen, so will Tommy. :lol:
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think you're right, edsas.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

from reading that website, they are showing nebraska and the U in a VERY good light.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

No kidding, looking at some of the stuff on their website... you'd almost guess that the board of regents required that they post specific information as part of allowing the show to be filmed there.

Example:
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln, chartered in 1869, is an educational institution of international stature. A member of the Association of American Universities, Nebraska is recognized by the Carnegie Foundation as a Doctoral/Research Extensive university.

Always a place of restlessness and high ambition, this was the first institution in the American West to grant the Ph.D. degree. It established the world's first undergraduate psychology laboratory. The discipline of ecology was born here, and the campuses are today reflective of that tradition, being recognized as botanical gardens and arboreta. An early institutional interest in literature and the arts provided the foundations for today's Prairie Schooner literary magazine, for the University of Nebraska Press, and for the Sheldon Memorial Art Gallery and Sculpture Garden, which houses one of the world's most significant collections of 20th century American art.

A strong history is important, but not as important as a vital present. Today, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is one of the nation's leading teaching institutions, and a research leader with a wide array of grant-funded projects aimed at broadening knowledge in the sciences and humanities.
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

I was e-mailed this link to a Wal-Mart ad that promotes the new Tommy Lee show. Looking at the trailer it appears to show Nebraska in a good light.

Check it out http://thebuzz.com//tommylee-walmart.wmv